233 replies to this topic

#201 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:49 AM

As far as i can see it...as long as they shove a new fresh engine in it...up to date and opitmized for current hardware we should be good to go.

#202 Jaggyroad Films

Jaggyroad Films

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:42 PM

Oh man, I wish I could share with you some of the tidbits of information I'm getting from developers. I'll say this... developers should be happier with the next iteration of FS. My understanding is it is more geared towards development than ever before. Let's hope the buzz I am hearing from several developers is true.

If what I said above is indeed true, it supports the MSLive model and shows me that MS is dedicated to making the Live platform successful for downloadable content. Giving developers a wider berth with the platform along with the new capabilities of MSLive gives a HUGE nod directly to developers and supports everything I am hearing thus far. Giving devs the tools they want and having MSLive go hand in hand like meat and potatoes.

I'll stop at this point. The buzz is heavy from the devs. I don't dare risk anyone's relationship with MS.

Put down the pitch forks folks. This system could be GREAT for simmers. Perhaps not so much for places like SimMarket, FlightSimStore and FSPilotShop, but having MS provide marketing while having a much wider and more connected audience is always a good thing, especially when the current state of development dictates that developers are simply trying to put food on their tables with little extra coming in monetarily.

Edited by Jaggyroad Films, 21 August 2010 - 02:48 PM.

#203 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:48 PM

View PostJaggyroad Films, on Aug 22 2010, 01:12 AM, said:

Oh man, I wish I could share with you some of the tidbits of information I'm getting from developers. I'll say this... developers should be happier with the next iteration of FS. My understanding is it is more geared towards development than ever before. Let's hope the buzz I am hearing from several developers is true. I'll leave the rest for MS employees to say.

:hrmm: NDA .  Keeps the rest of us all waiting :hrmm:

#204 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:09 PM

I just hope the women will be more curved this time with the higher polygons.

#205 Brad

Brad

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:25 AM

I think it's safe to say that we are all excited about this announcement, but let's not scratch out anyone's eyes over our personal opinions or expectations. I just cleaned up this thread quite a bit (apologies to those of you whose decent posts were unnecessarily caught up in the cleaning), so let's keep it that way please.

#206 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:13 PM

Jaggy, that's great and all, but I would hope they focus on an engine that  makes a dead dog walk faster.

Edited by SwitchFX, 22 August 2010 - 04:13 PM.

#207 The_Fonz

The_Fonz

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

Hmmmm. I've been looking forward to this a looooong time. Ever since MS destroyed FSX i was hoping for a new FS but then BAM! they kicked the Aces team!
Im glad to see Microsoft has jumped on the Bandwagon again!

Anyone hear any rumors about an estimated release date?

#208 SuperCar1000

SuperCar1000

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

They are going to test an alpha version internally soon so it might not be as far as we think

#209 Chris627

Chris627

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:47 PM

Looking forward to more info, as well as some screenshots. I very much hope it's still geared towards simmers and doesn't go the arcade route to appeal to the masses. Would be a shame to tarnish the Flight Sim franchise with some cheesy arcade flying game.

But it is much too early to draw those kind of conclusions, so I shall wait for further information.

#210 gmasi

gmasi

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

I just saw this trailer. Where does it say Xbox on it ???

#211 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:30 PM

View Postgmasi, on Aug 25 2010, 12:22 PM, said:

I just saw this trailer. Where does it say Xbox on it ???
The URL the video was pulling from. :hrmm:

#212 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:40 AM

Looking forward to this, only if they promise the performance will be better. :hrmm:

Good example: Just Cause 2. It's not a simulator, but you get beautiful graphics, shadows that aren't jagged, details (autogen is NOT sacrificed for performance), insane traffic (cars on the road, other aircraft), AI that thinks, tons of aircraft to fly (or skydive!), and beautiful weather (clouds, rain, you name it).

Let's not forget you get to fly, drive, skydive, parachute, run, and even boat around this beautiful paradise that's more than twice the size of what you get in World of Warcraft, more than six times the size of the playable area in GTA SA.

How about ARMA 2 Operation Arrowhead? It has a lot more choppers than the original ARMA, and better performance. But you get a huge play area, with detailed buildings, weather, AI, and accurate visuals and generally acceptable flight dynamics.

My PC runs Just Cause 2 on maximum settings with a solid 60-70 FPS. ARMA 2 I have to dull the settings slightly, but I maintain a solid 50-60 FPS there. On the other hand, FSX SP2 hardly chugs along with highish settings at <30 FPS. It's embarrassing, FSX's performance compared with other modern titles.

I hope we get better performance in Microsoft Flight.

Edited by pwn247, 26 August 2010 - 12:40 AM.

#213 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

That's a great post and all, Eddy, but the problem with it is that all those games use different core engines. I haven't played any of those games, but I've seen video of all of them, and I don't particularly see the point in seeing Flight be  like them. With JC 2, you see the distance as a static image, if you will. With FS, we saw mountains in the distance or other natural or man-made landmarks in the distance, that grew in size as we got closer to them. I personally don't see the benefit in such a simulator that is like JC 2.

If you wanted to go further, you could say a destructible environment like Battlefield: Bad Company 2, would be cool, but can you imagine all the "sick" people or otherwise out there crashing planes into buildings? I don't mean to offend anyone, but there's a lot of weird people who would buy the game just to do that.

Edited by SwitchFX, 28 August 2010 - 02:38 PM.

#214 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

I don't think you have to be sick to do that :hrmm:
When I play GTA or something all I do really is just drive around driving into random things. But yeah destroyable buildings would be a pretty pointless feature in FS. I didn't play Just Cause but I played GTA4 and while the game looks terrific when you're at ground level, or fairly low in a helicopter, once you go up in altitude you see that GTA4's landmass is only a tiny island, and furthermore it starts to look crap aswell when you're way up. FSX's engine is kind of clunky and never runs smooth but what we want really is quite demanding even for a hardcore gaming rig of today.

#215 ThrottleUp

ThrottleUp

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

Exciting news...gosh I really hope they use a brand new engine...PLEASE make nice terrain textures and not stupid FSX leopard prints anymore!

#216 The_Fonz

The_Fonz

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:27 PM

Im just crossing my fingers hoping it doesn't come to being an arcade game in the mall. If you know what i mean.

#217 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

View PostJeremy-Bentham, on Aug 28 2010, 07:27 PM, said:

Im just crossing my fingers hoping it doesn't come to being an arcade game in the mall. If you know what i mean.
The kind with a stiff red joystick and 4 buttons and a coin slot? :hrmm:

#218 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

View PostJeremy-Bentham, on Aug 28 2010, 05:27 PM, said:

There was actually a really cool arcade game where you fly a 747 and try to fly it through rings or something.  It actually wasn't that bad...it had you sitting in a seat with throttle controls and yoke and such.  It was pretty fun for when I was 10. :hrmm:

#219 The_Fonz

The_Fonz

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

^Well if you put it that way. I just mean (and i know this has been said before) i don't want it to become more video game-ish to stretch out to a wider community.

#220 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

View PostLA_BOS, on Aug 28 2010, 05:34 PM, said:

There was actually a really cool arcade game where you fly a 747 and try to fly it through rings or something.  It actually wasn't that bad...it had you sitting in a seat with throttle controls and yoke and such.  It was pretty fun for when I was 10. :hrmm:
Didn't FS have something similar to that? I don't remember seeing it in FS9/FSX, but I know I saw in in FS 2002.