#1 Chris627

Chris627

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:31 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

Looks just like FSX, what a disappointment.

Edited by Chris627, 22 October 2010 - 03:32 PM.

#2 Chief NWA

Chief NWA

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:34 PM

That was not very exciting.

#3 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:35 PM

I want my money back.

EDIT: I watched it again and the only dfferences I've noticed are less cartoony grass texture, more autogen (though I would assume they cranked it to the max for the video and it would be much less when we actually play it) and the plane shadow seems to be more dynamic (though it somewhat jitters in the video).

Edited by niteye, 22 October 2010 - 03:40 PM.

#4 wynthorpe

wynthorpe

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

Negative Nancies you lot aren't you! I think this looks pretty good to be honest, look in the back ground at the autogen and mountains, no blurries and LOADS of buildings and trees.

#5 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

View PostChris627, on Oct 22 2010, 04:31 PM, said:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

Looks just like FSX, what a disappointment.
Just what exactly were you expecting.

You would have to been a fool to actually think the first video released was not in-game.  Just CGI.

#6 Chris627

Chris627

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:51 PM

View PostTopDollar, on Oct 22 2010, 02:48 PM, said:

Just what exactly were you expecting.

You would have to been a fool to actually think the first video released was not in-game.  Just CGI.

Which video are you referring to?
If the video you're speaking of is the one over the water, I never stated it was in game.
What I was expecting was a little improvement over FSX, not a huge amount, but noticeable. That is typically how franchise games work.

#7 Independence76

Independence76

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

I still have faith in Aerosoft's FS.

Sure, the video definitely looks better than FSX, but I'm not very satisfied. It just looks like FSX with better performance with some icing and a cherry on top.

I can't say yes or no this early, but I'm not impressed for what we've got.

(Something is telling me thought that that video was filmed running on a supercomputer.  :hrmm: )

Edited by Independence76, 22 October 2010 - 03:57 PM.

#8 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:56 PM

Separate from the fact that the video graphically isn't all that impressive, perhaps it might be much more stable and usable than FSX, which if they succeeded in that IMO would make a pretty good product that I'd definitely buy. Though we won't find out about how that is until it's actually released to the masses.

#9 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:21 PM

Wow, some of you need to lower your expectations.  ALL versions of MSFS have looked pretty unspectacular on release.  But after a year or two when many addons have been released, you can have an amazing looking sim.  That is how my FS2004 looks amazing and that is how peoples' FSX screenshots look amazing with no editing.  Remember, this platform covers the ENTIRE planet...there is only so much they can do without making this game too big and too costly.

Personally, I think it looks good so far but again, these videos don't really show us much and until I see more, I really have no feelings on it except "let's wait and see."

#10 Independence76

Independence76

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:29 PM

View PostLA_BOS, on Oct 22 2010, 04:21 PM, said:

Wow, some of you need to lower your expectations.  ALL versions of MSFS have looked pretty unspectacular on release.  But after a year or two when many addons have been released, you can have an amazing looking sim.

Not FSX.....  :hrmm:

#11 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:33 PM

View PostIndependence76, on Oct 22 2010, 02:29 PM, said:

Not FSX.....  :hrmm:

Okay, so FSX maybe took 3 years to really have some amazing addons that provided for an amazing sim.

Personally, all I want is a sim. that runs well.  FSX didn't do that on release.  If Microsoft Flight runs well then I don't care if it looks like just another bland and default sim assuming it will be as open to development as all the other sims have been.

#12 CaptainSpeaking

CaptainSpeaking

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:53 PM

Is that it? Seriously?

#13 Brendan

Brendan

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:01 PM

Not gonna lie, I was expecting a lot more than that...

#14 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

View PostCaptainSpeaking, on Oct 22 2010, 04:53 PM, said:

Is that it? Seriously?

Its the same engine...call me unoptemistic but i have a serious gut feeling that were in for a real disappointment here. I cant possibly see any way for them to squeeze a substantial amount of performance out of the dinasaur engine. Maybe they will prove that wrong, we shall see  :hrmm:

#15 E-Jet

E-Jet

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:10 PM

View Postwynthorpe, on Oct 22 2010, 05:39 PM, said:

Negative Nancies you lot aren't you! I think this looks pretty good to be honest, look in the back ground at the autogen and mountains, no blurries and LOADS of buildings and trees.

don't know what video your watching but at 53 I can see some.

#16 mhockey21

mhockey21

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

Think its just a repackaged FSX? When the :hrmm: is Microsoft going to get a :hrmm: clue?

#17 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

You guys are all so negative!!!  :hrmm: Just pathetic. Flight is in it's early development stages. Remember, there is probably a little under a year until it will be released, so they still have work to do. A lot can change by then. But, for now, let's just look at all the positives of this new video. (what we saw in it) For starters, the shadow rendering system has been greatly improved. There are even tree shadows now. (While the stearman is taxiing, the shadows pass over the plane and ground. They appear to be moving on the ground!!!) Also, the airport grass/background texture looks photoreal. Maybe a lot of the airports will be this way. The airport buildings appear to have improved textures and just look better. (if you look in the background, I see other little objects and such)

:hrmm:

#18 Guest_ÐΛΝΝΨFØŊ_*

Guest_ÐΛΝΝΨFØŊ_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

if it is a better performance FSX like sim, I still want one..

#19 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

View PostHughes-MDflyer4, on Oct 22 2010, 10:00 PM, said:

You guys are all so negative!!!  :hrmm: Just pathetic. Flight is in it's early development stages.
Citation?

Remember, there is probably a little under a year until it will be released, so they still have work to do. A lot can change by then. But, for now, let's just look at all the positives of this new video. (what we saw in it) For starters, the shadow rendering system has been greatly improved. There are even tree shadows now. (While the stearman is taxiing, the shadows pass over the plane and ground. They appear to be moving on the ground!!!) Also, the airport grass/background texture looks photoreal. Maybe a lot of the airports will be this way. The airport buildings appear to have improved textures and just look better. (if you look in the background, I see other little objects and such)
Sounds a lot like FSX. Different textures, slightly different shadows, slightly different building designs. Everything is... disappointing.

Microsoft, I am disappoint.

#20 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:55 PM

Have a little hope. Don't give up just because they put out the first in game video.  :hrmm: