#21 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:47 PM

View PostPeter797, on Nov 18 2010, 04:50 PM, said:

Here's the dealio. X-Plane 10 will come out in like a month. People will fall in love. Everyone buys it.

nobody will want to switch to Flight when it comes out. THE END

But you forgot that X-Plane's user interface causes seizure from utter disorganization and disgust. Hence why I will never, ever, ever again buy an X-Plane product.

I did buy X-Plane 9 about a year ago. You would think that by the ninth release of something they would have a professional looking piece of software, right? Wrong. Not only was it near impossible to navigate through settings menus, but there were literally options labeled things like "SUPER MEGA CRAZY INSANE!!!!!" for more trees, etc. At least M$ is professional.

Edited by usnchris, 22 December 2010 - 09:48 PM.

#22 alainneedle1

alainneedle1

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:11 PM

View PostHughes-MDflyer4, on Nov 18 2010, 09:30 AM, said:

True. but at this point, there's not enough info for our opinions to even matter. If/When they have a public beta or demo and post screenshots along with more info, that wold be a better time to state your opinions. Because, let's face it: we really don't know a thing about MS Flight yet.

:hrmm:
Why don't we take a closer look at what is in the last vid......anything in this vid. to remind you of FSX....about a couple of things....look closely at the back wheel of the plane....sinked half way in the runway....look familiar to you.....you'r right we have the same problem with FSX....now look at the lower right corner of your screen when the plane is in the air over the runway.....what do you see....you got it right again....stutters......about the trees.....do they look oversized compare to the houses......do we have that problem in FSX...you "betcha"..... so how does the saying goes...if it walk like a duck, quack like a duck and look like a duck.....guess what....it's a freeking DUCK!

Now to their credit I have to say that the sky, water the sun reflections + shadows look far better.....DX10 or DX11....maybe.....lets see some cockpit shadow first and we will have a better idea.

To me Flight is (based on what I saw in the last vid.) FSX SP3....I'm just hoping I'm wrong.....so if you think I'm wrong please feel free to show me where based on what we can see in the last released vid.

Edited by alainneedle1, 24 December 2010 - 03:14 PM.

#23 stonelance

stonelance

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:52 PM

The video is compressed and streaming, which obviously will have its own artifacts including potentially stutters.

Also, if you look closely, you can see cockpit shadows in the last video, although it is fairly subtle.

#24 CaptainG37

CaptainG37

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

View Postusnchris, on Dec 23 2010, 01:47 PM, said:

But you forgot that X-Plane's user interface causes seizure from utter disorganization and disgust. Hence why I will never, ever, ever again buy an X-Plane product.

I did buy X-Plane 9 about a year ago. You would think that by the ninth release of something they would have a professional looking piece of software, right? Wrong. Not only was it near impossible to navigate through settings menus, but there were literally options labeled things like "SUPER MEGA CRAZY INSANE!!!!!" for more trees, etc. At least M$ is professional.

LOL at the last statement!
MS UI is so dumbed down, my 5 year old can navigate it.  Hardly professional.

#25 Alaska_MD-83

Alaska_MD-83

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:39 PM

View PostCaptainG37, on Dec 24 2010, 04:33 PM, said:

Conclusion: They both suck.

#26 CaptainG37

CaptainG37

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:50 PM

View PostAlaska_MD-83, on Dec 25 2010, 11:39 AM, said:

Conclusion: They both suck.

In your opinion.

#27 Jetset

Jetset

Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

Ooops

Thanked instead of suggesting a lock.

#28 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:31 PM

View PostCaptainG37, on Dec 24 2010, 06:33 PM, said:

Just because it's simple doesn't mean it isn't "professional." :hrmm:

But, on the subject of "SUPER MEGA CRAZY INSANE!!!!!" options, that doesn't really bother me. One reason I like using Google's software is they have some funny or down to earth error messages or option titles. But, other than that, I sincerely dislike X-Plane's UI. It's cluttered and overly-complicated.

#29 CaptainG37

CaptainG37

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:46 PM

View PostRudolph-411, on Dec 25 2010, 01:31 PM, said:

Just because it's simple doesn't mean it isn't "professional." :hrmm:

But, on the subject of "SUPER MEGA CRAZY INSANE!!!!!" options, that doesn't really bother me. One reason I like using Google's software is they have some funny or down to earth error messages or option titles. But, other than that, I sincerely dislike X-Plane's UI. It's cluttered and overly-complicated.

In all honesty and all kidding aside, I find it hard to understand what it is about X Planes UI that is so complicated.
I learned my way around it in about 15 minutes.  And that's after 10 years of staying with Microsoft Flight Sim.
I think there's a fine line between complicated and customizable.  
To be honest, x plane's UI is about as "complicated" as Pete Dowson's FSUIPC.
It just displays more functionality.

#30 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:04 AM

^ The way I see it, X-Plane is a no-frills, down-to-business FS, whereas FS is more user-friendly and really connects with the player.

When you boot up FSX, it starts playing music. The first time I started it up, I just stopped and listened to the music, which was very well done. It really gives that feel of adventure. X-Plane does not do this. FSX makes it easy to decide what you want to do. 1) Do a mission, 2) Create a flightplan, or 3) Free flight. Simple.

• Guests

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:48 AM

The next time you have that urge to say something negative about Flight based on the little info we have, think long and hard, "will this really help anyone and is it even necessary?"

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on everything. However, I will say that I agree with you that we shouldn't make negative comments about flight when we really don't know alot about it....yet. After all it still is in the early development stages and I probably wouldn't expect its release for at least another year.