#41 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:07 PM

-Dexter, on Apr 9 2011, 04:59 PM, said:

Would a developer package high resolution textures and code high quality shadows and clouds and never see if they work?
This is Microsoft we're talking about here.

Personally, I don't think this game will be any different from the others, besides updated grafics. These threads full of high hopes always pop up with a new game. don't set your expectations too high as you're only going to be dissapointed. Microsoft isnt after realism, and redesigning the platform would cost too much money.

#42 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:22 PM

thers a difference in "do they work" and "are they optimized to give best performance"

#43 FLIGHTSIMFANATIC

FLIGHTSIMFANATIC

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

If I could use all my FSX aircraft, and not have to spend hours tweaking it to get good frame rates, and if it didn't freeze up that would be good for me, I would buy it then.

#44 Cortez

Cortez

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

nwilkinson, on Apr 9 2011, 10:59 AM, said:

Do they even test that?

-Dexter, on Apr 9 2011, 12:59 PM, said:

Would a developer package high resolution textures and code high quality shadows and clouds and never see if they work?

My guess is it was sarcasm? Idk. lol

#45 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:48 AM

What's curious is that they're working with third-party developers. They didn't do that with FSX, did they? They must have something up their sleeves.

#46 MikeMann

MikeMann

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:41 AM

Microsoft communicated with a number of developers when FSX was being crafted. Not only did they communicate with the developers, but they (ACES Game Studio employees) also participated in a number of flight sim forums as well. With Flight, Microsoft is being far less communicative; whether this is for the best, only time will tell.

Regards, Mike Mann

#47 ClubCX

ClubCX

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:37 PM

SwitchFX, on Jun 15 2011, 09:48 AM, said:

What's curious is that they're working with third-party developers. They didn't do that with FSX, did they? They must have something up their sleeves.

As the most recent promo suggested that MS Flight is "free", I might speculate that there would be a content store inside the game where users could browse and buy addons and then install them into Flight with a single click.  Microsoft would take a cut of each sale and the developer would receive the rest.  The benefits to developers would be the substantial exposure of having their products featured in the content store, many more potential customers due to the game itself being free, and perhaps the implementation of Microsoft's anti-piracy technology.  The benefits to Microsoft would be the percentage they received from addon sales, which in the case of FS enthusiasts would likely exceed the income from each customer vs just selling one copy of flight simulator, and the ability to showcase addons as examples of what's available on the Flight platform.  Working with developers from an early stage would ensure that the game launched with several addon titles already available for purchase.

Or maybe they'll just do it the old way again.

#48 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

MikeMann, on Jun 15 2011, 08:41 AM, said:

Microsoft communicated with a number of developers when FSX was being crafted. Not only did they communicate with the developers, but they (ACES Game Studio employees) also participated in a number of flight sim forums as well. With Flight, Microsoft is being far less communicative; whether this is for the best, only time will tell.

Regards, Mike Mann

Yes. We had a developer of some sort on this forum for about a year, I believe.

ClubCX, on Jun 15 2011, 10:37 AM, said:

As the most recent promo suggested that MS Flight is "free", I might speculate that there would be a content store inside the game where users could browse and buy addons and then install them into Flight with a single click.  Microsoft would take a cut of each sale and the developer would receive the rest.  The benefits to developers would be the substantial exposure of having their products featured in the content store, many more potential customers due to the game itself being free, and perhaps the implementation of Microsoft's anti-piracy technology.  The benefits to Microsoft would be the percentage they received from addon sales, which in the case of FS enthusiasts would likely exceed the income from each customer vs just selling one copy of flight simulator, and the ability to showcase addons as examples of what's available on the Flight platform.  Working with developers from an early stage would ensure that the game launched with several addon titles already available for purchase.

Or maybe they'll just do it the old way again.

I sincerely doubt the product itself would be free, but a content store with some free items is something I can definitely see in the near future. If the content store becomes real, I can see it working off the future Windows 8 content store system or the store could be accessed in game, which would better. Other than what you've stated, I would hope MS is getting pointers on how to better the product.

#49 fsxnate

fsxnate

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:09 PM

SwitchFX, on Jun 15 2011, 06:46 PM, said:

Yes. We had a developer of some sort on this forum for about a year, I believe.
I sincerely doubt the product itself would be free, but a content store with some free items is something I can definitely see in the near future. If the content store becomes real, I can see it working off the future Windows 8 content store system or the store could be accessed in game, which would better. Other than what you've stated, I would hope MS is getting pointers on how to better the product.

I agree, this is well put.  I would add that integration with Windows 8 would be a huge benifit for flight in terms of marketing, being able to capture some of that exposure as Windows 8 launches

#50 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:47 AM

Pretty much. I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to push out their products during that time. Let's face the facts. They're improving their software slowly. Windows 8 is slated by what's been said already to be better than Windows 7, use CPU and memory much more efficiently, and has requirements that of Windows 7 or less, which is a great selling point. With the way Intel (and hopefully AMD!) is handling their next-generation processors, I really see great stuff in store for us simmers, and of course gamers in other markets. From what I've seen and read, I believe Windows 8 will be the first operating system from Microsoft that ditches the legacy x86 operating code, and makes use of the x86-64 platform, hence 64-bit operating code. By then, in 2012, it would be expected the world catches up with the changing times. Of course thanks to Microsoft, those who can't upgrade for various reasons will get security and update support for XP ends in April 2014, and Windows Vista ends on 2017, with Windows 7's mainstream support being terminated in January 2015. The two aforementioned operating systems, XP and Vista, were dated for the very last cycle of support. On those dates  the extended support ends. If I had to guess the earliest possible date of something happening, I would say beta testing of W8 on or near December 2011, and RTM in May/June 2012, with a release to end-users by November 2012.

This would flow well with Microsoft's other software life phases. We'll most likely get surprised with a Flight demo between March-July 2012, with a release of the game in October-December 2012.

In the unlikely event we're surprised with a demo by December 2011, then push the Flight dates I wrote out a few months ahead of schedule.

Edited by SwitchFX, 17 June 2011 - 12:49 AM.

#51 fsxnate

fsxnate

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:09 AM

agreed :hrmm:

Edited by fsxnate, 17 June 2011 - 01:09 AM.

#52 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:13 AM

^ I think Switch nailed it.

It should also be noted that Microsoft may decide to hold off Flight until the Windows 8 buzz begins, and then use Flight to show off the "gaming features" of Windows 8.

Like when Apple holds off on releasing a new iOS until they release a new iOS device. :hrmm:

I just hope Windows 8 does ditch 32-bit support. I can't think of a processor made in the last few years that doesn't support 64-bit architecture.

#53 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

W8 and MSF will go hand-in-hand.
So I predict 2 releases @ the same time
My prediction: summer 2012 or Christmas 2012

#54 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:32 PM

Windows 8 will still have to support 32-bit kernel code. Can you imagine the uproar if they did away with both support for x86 processors and 32-bit kernel code?

Edit: http://windows8news....efer-windows-8/

Looks like I was right:

Then Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer made a slip up at a recent developer conference in Japan when he told delegates that Windows 8 will be out next year.  This was the first time that anybody in the company had officially referred to their next generation desktop operating system by that name.

Edited by SwitchFX, 19 June 2011 - 07:35 PM.

#55 Gunfighter

Gunfighter

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:50 PM

What would sell me on Flight? A 2 bit hooker and some blow (cocaine, not the other type).

#56 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:50 PM

Gunfighter, on Jun 20 2011, 11:50 AM, said:

What would sell me on Flight? A 2 bit hooker and some blow (cocaine, not the other type).
I'll take the blow... You can have the hooker.

#57 Timmeh

Timmeh

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:24 AM

If it runs smoother than FSX, I'm sold.

I just want a better engine...