#21 Alaska_MD-83

Alaska_MD-83

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:10 PM

View PostTHBatMan8, on Apr 30 2011, 12:18 PM, said:

The ECAM is designed to send a ACARS message when it detects a fault. It is also designed to give the QRH, and offer a sugestion(s) to troubleshoot and isolate the fault.

What I meant was that the ACARS messages were incorrect. There was a fault on board, but it wasn't necessarily what the ACARS said it was.

I just remember reading an article that said the ACARS messages themselves might have been part of a malfunction.

#22 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

^

If company HQ was revieving automated messages from the plane, then ACARS was functioning normally. :hrmm:

Perhaps you were pinpoiting to the ECAM itself? Airbus has had issues with the ECAM giving false info.

#23 _TW_

_TW_

First Class Member\Screenshot Hotshot of 2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:39 PM

Black box has been found -

PARIS – Investigators have located and recovered the missing memory unit of the flight data recorder of a 2009 Air France flight — a remarkable deep-sea discovery they hope will explain why the aircraft went down in a remote area of the mid-Atlantic, killing all 228 people on board.
France's air accident investigation agency BEA said a search by a submarine probing 3,900 meters (12,800 feet) below the ocean's surface located and recovered the unit Sunday morning. The unit is now aboard the Ile de Sein, a ship that's helping conduct the probe, the statement said.

http://news.yahoo.co...zil_plane_crash

#24 Mr. Schutte

Mr. Schutte

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

Remarkable that they found it, really hope that they can actually access and utilize the data stored. Will be fascinated to see the outcome ultimately.

#25 aviatordom

aviatordom

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:16 AM

Today is turning out out to be a very good day for news!  :hrmm:

So glad that the memory unit has been discovered, but now we have an anxious wait of what can be recovered.

#26 AA752

AA752

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

View PostSwitchFX, on Apr 28 2011, 10:52 PM, said:

Falling into water is much, much more painful and powerful than the ground. I would rather drop 12 feet onto the ground than a pool of water.
Speaking as someone who has fallen 30 feet into the water...I'd much rather take the water over the ground!

#27 Mr. Schutte

Mr. Schutte

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:46 PM

View PostSwitchFX, on Apr 29 2011, 01:52 AM, said:

I would rather drop 12 feet onto the ground than a pool of water.

12 feet, really? I'll take the water.  :hrmm:

#28 Aharon

Aharon

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

All talk about people rather to pick dropping onto water over ground reminds me of famous diving cliff with popular bar in Negril, Jamaica. I forgot the name of the famous bar with famous diving cliffs.

If you do not dive properly off the famous cliff, you will wind up in hospital with black and blue all over your body. I am talking about hitting clear water without any rocky shores around.

According to instructions, when you dive off high cliff in Negril, Jamaica, you are supposed to dive standing straight up and let your feet hit water first.  Some lady from my hotel made mistake diving off the cliff in wrong way. She thought landing her butt on water was the safest and best way.  Nope  Next day, her butt was all black and blue.  Luckily for her, she did not need to go to hospital but she was butt of jokes in the hotel for rest of the week.

Aharon

#29 _TW_

_TW_

First Class Member\Screenshot Hotshot of 2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:32 PM

That's great, can we please get back on topic now people?

#30 clum

clum

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:12 AM

Looks like the CVR has been found now as well.

http://www.bea.aero/...3mai2011.en.php

#31 aviatordom

aviatordom

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:48 AM

This is turning out to be a fantastic few days for finding things!

The latest I have heard is that towards the end of this week It will be flown to France and it will be opened up there for examination.

#32 kipp

kipp

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:58 PM

View PostSwitchFX, on Apr 29 2011, 02:52 AM, said:

Falling into water is much, much more painful and powerful than the ground. I would rather drop 12 feet onto the ground than a pool of water.

LOL.

#33 Tim.

Tim.

Aviation Hotshot Dec-Feb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,542 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:31 AM

View PostSwitchFX, on Apr 29 2011, 07:52 AM, said:

Posted Image

I think after a certain height it doesn't matter which you fall on.

#34 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:12 PM

View PostTim., on May 4 2011, 11:31 AM, said:

Posted Image

I think after a certain height it doesn't matter which you fall on.
Speed and height AGL makes no relevance. As I earlier stated, it's the g-forces felt on impact that makes the difference. What surface you're landing on is irrelevant. The higher the g-forces on impact, the more damage. This applies to a human body as much as a airplane.

What you are trying to pinpoint is called terminal velocity. When a object reaches terminal velocity, it wouldnt matter if it was dropped at 12 feet or 30,000 feet as it will hit the surface at the same speed.

/water over ground preference discussion.

Edited by THBatMan8, 06 May 2011 - 05:15 PM.

#35 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

View PostToby Werner, on May 2 2011, 07:32 PM, said:

That's great, can we please get back on topic now people?

#36 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:14 PM

^
My post was on topic. :hrmm:

#37 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:28 PM

View PostTHBatMan8, on May 6 2011, 03:12 PM, said:

Speed and height AGL makes no relevance. As I earlier stated, it's the g-forces felt on impact that makes the difference. What surface you're landing on is irrelevant. The higher the g-forces on impact, the more damage. This applies to a human body as much as a airplane.

What you are trying to pinpoint is called terminal velocity. When a object reaches terminal velocity, it wouldnt matter if it was dropped at 12 feet or 30,000 feet as it will hit the surface at the same speed.
Exactly, and the problem with what Tim and someone else said is it takes quite a while to get to terminal velocity. There are 20-60 foot drops throughout the world where people regularly jump and land in a huge lake and swim around. It isn't so much the sudden impact killing you if you're dropping from 10,000 feet above sea level into water, but the impact force causing you to become unconscious and therefore drown. Of course damage could be minimized if you streamlined the water landing, but if your abdominal region is parallel to the water, then you're looking at some serious damage to your organs and the possible collapse of your rib cage. That barely scratched the surface of possible injuries that would occur.

#38 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:57 PM

View PostTHBatMan8, on May 6 2011, 07:14 PM, said:

^
My post was on topic. :hrmm:
You are right.  I thought Toby was referring to all the conversation about dropping into water.  It seems as if he was referring to Aharon's post primarily. :hrmm:

#39 clum

clum

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

View PostTHBatMan8, on May 6 2011, 11:12 PM, said:

lled terminal velocity. When a object reaches terminal velocity, it wouldnt matter if it was dropped at 12 feet or 30,000 feet as it will hit the surface at the same speed.

While I agree with your points overall, are you suggesting that a person would reach terminal velocity during a 12ft fall? The average time taken for a human is around 12 seconds, which in turn equates to a vertical distance of 1800ft.

#40 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:32 AM

View Postclum, on May 7 2011, 10:39 AM, said:

While I agree with your points overall, are you suggesting that a person would reach terminal velocity during a 12ft fall? The average time taken for a human is around 12 seconds, which in turn equates to a vertical distance of 1800ft.
My post didn't suggest anything besides what it stated. Jumping from 12 feet is going to hurt regardless of the surface you're landing on, if you land the wrong way. Skydivers have survived hitting the ground after a failed parachutte deployment by repositioning their bodies in a way that reduces impact g-forces.

My whole point is that you can be killed landing on the water just as likley as landing on the ground.