#141 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:28 PM

View Postalainneedle1, on Aug 12 2011, 08:00 PM, said:

Remenber this, MS and some devs. are in bed together now and they are there to make money.

Glad to know you have a firm grasp on on the obvious  :hrmm:

#142 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

View Postalainneedle1, on Aug 12 2011, 06:00 PM, said:

About freewares, there is some good freewares for FSX, I myself did quit downloading freewares, why will you ask...because after downloading some of them my FSX got screwed up...now you have to find out wich one is leaking or wich one does not play wells with others, MS will probably have quality control for all addons sold in their store, there is no win win situation from a dev. point of view, freeware would be a payware killer unless it's from a payware dev. giving it to you like some of them are already doing, see in Dirt 3 they have one freeware.

That is a very bold, and almost insulting statement. I rarely have a freeware add-on mess something up in FSX. (I mainly fly freeware and fully support it) Freeware is obviously not perfect. These add-ons are developed by people that have a usual job/life (I hope  :hrmm:) and are doing this on their own spare time...for absolutely nothing. They definitely deserve some credit, and freeware shouldn't entirely be blamed for issues caused to your FSX.

And of course it depends what you are trying to use...obviously some scenery add-ons might have conflicts if they are for the same area. This is just an example.

#143 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:34 AM

View Postalainneedle1, on Aug 12 2011, 09:00 PM, said:

About freewares, there is some good freewares for FSX, I myself did quit downloading freewares, why will you ask...because after downloading some of them my FSX got screwed up...
That's not FSX's fault. It's yours for installing an addon incorrectly.

It's the same mindset of "EVER SINCE YOU INSTALLED FIREFOX MY COMPUTER RUNS SLOWER!!!" when, in fact, they have actually downloaded hordes of spyware and "free games".

Edited by -Dexter, 13 August 2011 - 07:36 AM.

#144 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:05 AM

View Post-Dexter, on Aug 13 2011, 06:34 AM, said:

It's the same mindset of "EVER SINCE YOU INSTALLED FIREFOX MY COMPUTER RUNS SLOWER!!!" when, in fact, they have actually downloaded hordes of spyware and "free games".

Yet another reason why every claim he makes I raise the B.S. flag...  can't even install freeware ..  probably can't follow instructions.

He's the type of guy that will tell a pilot in their face they don't know how a plane flies because "my dad's uncle's cousin's former roommate" was a pilot.  And what's worse..  he has no idea how to keep his mouth shut.

#145 alainneedle1

alainneedle1

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:15 AM

View Post-Dexter, on Aug 13 2011, 08:34 AM, said:

Dexter, please point me out to where I said it was FSX's fault, I never had any problems with good payware add-ons from reputable company, I also said that there were good freeware for FSX like Orbx freewares and I have to corect myself as I use them and them only, I am very happy for you if you never had any problems with any of your freeware, seriously, I am.

@Harry, you still on the same chanel????

Edited by alainneedle1, 13 August 2011 - 09:25 AM.

#146 alainneedle1

alainneedle1

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

View PostBrandonF, on Aug 12 2011, 11:09 PM, said:

That is a very bold, and almost insulting statement. I rarely have a freeware add-on mess something up in FSX. (I mainly fly freeware and fully support it) Freeware is obviously not perfect. These add-ons are developed by people that have a usual job/life (I hope  :hrmm:) and are doing this on their own spare time...for absolutely nothing. They definitely deserve some credit, and freeware shouldn't entirely be blamed for issues caused to your FSX.

And of course it depends what you are trying to use...obviously some scenery add-ons might have conflicts if they are for the same area. This is just an example.
Good post Brandon, as I can see you rarely had add-ons messing up your FSX but it did happen.

I agree with what you said about good freeware as I said it myself and freeware developers do deserve a LOT of credit, take Orbx as an example, they are giving a lot more free scenery compare to others, yes they are a big company selling payware scenery and they probably have more resources than others but they don't have to give freebies and they do.

Some peoples also use DX10 exclusively as they don't care about flickering runways and get more FPS and a better flight experience, and with the right driver you don't have trees shimmerings or flickering lights at night (not everybody will get the same result) some freeware add-ons do not play well in DX10 including some payware one as they are not fully DX10 compatible.

#147 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:51 AM

^^Fails to understand that FSX had updates that rendered some earlier FSX add ons incompatible.

#148 MikeMann

MikeMann

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

If you explore the various flight simulation forums you soon realize that people experience way more problems and messed up FSX installations with payware then they ever had with freeware! I have never had a freeware (and I have hundreds) mess up my FSX installation; I wish I could say the same with some of the poorly done payware I have had the misfortune of buying.

When you see the bug ridden excuses for operating systems released from Microsoft (i.e. Windows Millennium Edition or Vista) then you are living in dreamland if you think that Microsoft could spot buggy software, even if it bit them on the nose!

Regards, Mike Mann

#149 alainneedle1

alainneedle1

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:05 PM

View PostMikeMann, on Aug 13 2011, 12:54 PM, said:

If you explore the various flight simulation forums you soon realize that people experience way more problems and messed up FSX installations with payware then they ever had with freeware! I have never had a freeware (and I have hundreds) mess up my FSX installation; I wish I could say the same with some of the poorly done payware I have had the misfortune of buying.

When you see the bug ridden excuses for operating systems released from Microsoft (i.e. Windows Millennium Edition or Vista) then you are living in dreamland if you think that Microsoft could spot buggy software, even if it bit them on the nose!

Regards, Mike Mann
I absolutly agree, I also had some BIG payware problems in the past and I don't buy from these company anymore, I think one of them was Abacus (long time ago), there is also a BIG company who will tell you that the cause of your poor FPS problem is your PC not because of their product unless you are welling to fly with all sliders to the middle, I was not taking a shot a freeware here as I said that there is a lot of good quality one, I was just saying that I myself had experienced problems with some of them and having the choice I'll buy payware from reputable company but to each his own.

I also agree that Microsoft can't spot buggy software, it will be up to the dev. to meet what ever requirement MS may have in place for Flight, if there is a problem it will be up to the dev. to release a patch for their product, again nothing is bullet proof.

#150 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:00 PM

View Postalainneedle1, on Aug 12 2011, 08:00 PM, said:

So you think MS will put Flight add-ons in their store and loose money by letting other store selling the same add-ons ....and what about piracy, you did not resolved the piracy problem by downloading add-ons for Flight the old way.
I didn't say that.

I said the game-incorporated Microsoft store will offer the most popular paywares for purchase. But obviously not all paywares are going to make it to Microsoft's store, and those that didn't make it will be found in their own homepages or SimMarket, for manual installation (just like the old ways).

As for freewares, they'll be available on places like AVSim and won't make it to the Microsoft store in the first place. So you'll have to manually install those as well.

So it is a win-win situation. For newcomers and 'quick users', they can easily access the Microsoft store from their game menus and find the most popular addons to purchase, with automatic installation. But if what they were looking for isnt there, it doesnt stop them from going to places like SimMarket and looking for / installing the paywares manually.

Meanwhile the freeware community which is > the payware community and which is also more important and serves as the actual back-bone of flight simulation on PC... as for them (freewares), they'll still be available in places like AVSim, FlightSim, etc.

And Microsoft always intended to keep their game like an open-source, freedom to modify and make your own additions for yourself and the community to try.

I don't see it in a pessimistic way as others might do.

Remenber this, MS and some devs. are in bed together now and they are there to make money.
Has always been the case, long before this announcement.

#151 alainneedle1

alainneedle1

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

View PostMohammad, on Aug 13 2011, 03:00 PM, said:

I didn't say that.

I said the game-incorporated Microsoft store will offer the most popular paywares for purchase. But obviously not all paywares are going to make it to Microsoft's store, and those that didn't make it will be found in their own homepages or SimMarket, for manual installation (just like the old ways).

As for freewares, they'll be available on places like AVSim and won't make it to the Microsoft store in the first place. So you'll have to manually install those as well.

So it is a win-win situation. For newcomers and 'quick users', they can easily access the Microsoft store from their game menus and find the most popular addons to purchase, with automatic installation. But if what they were looking for isnt there, it doesnt stop them from going to places like SimMarket and looking for / installing the paywares manually.

Meanwhile the freeware community which is > the payware community and which is also more important and serves as the actual back-bone of flight simulation on PC... as for them (freewares), they'll still be available in places like AVSim, FlightSim, etc.

And Microsoft always intended to keep their game like an open-source, freedom to modify and make your own additions for yourself and the community to try.

I don't see it in a pessimistic way as others might do.
Has always been the case, long before this announcement.
Everything's possible.