26 replies to this topic

#1 fsxnate

fsxnate

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:34 PM

I just saw Railworks new Train Simulator 2012 rain demo (_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX5StDRP_EM) and let me tell you lol, boy would I love to have cockpit effects like that :hrmm:, we'll see!

#2 Jonay

Jonay

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:22 AM

Embedded for you:

nX5StDRP_EM

#3 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:51 AM

I hope so. The weather in FSX is kind of, ahem, lame without some sort of addon. The rain just doesn't look right. Especially when it can't decide whether you're going fast enough for the rain to switch into it's "flying by" mode. So you see rain going vertical one second, then next second it's going diagonally. It just ruins the immersion.

That Railworks/Train Simulator 2012 demo looks incredible. If you haven't played Railworks, it's a fantastic train sim. The detail of the locomotives is spellbinding.

#4 fsxnate

fsxnate

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

View PostJonay, on Sep 5 2011, 04:22 AM, said:

Embedded for you:

nX5StDRP_EM

Thank you!  :hrmm:

View Post-Dexter, on Sep 5 2011, 11:51 AM, said:

I hope so. The weather in FSX is kind of, ahem, lame without some sort of addon. The rain just doesn't look right. Especially when it can't decide whether you're going fast enough for the rain to switch into it's "flying by" mode. So you see rain going vertical one second, then next second it's going diagonally. It just ruins the immersion.

That Railworks/Train Simulator 2012 demo looks incredible. If you haven't played Railworks, it's a fantastic train sim. The detail of the locomotives is spellbinding.

agreed when it comes to the weather in FSX, and the snow for that matter.  I haven't played rail works but I'm def going to get Train Simulator 2012.

#5 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

Trains don't really amuse me much, but that rain demo looks amazing.

#6 _BD6_

_BD6_

June '10 Screenshot Hotshot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:05 PM

we can only hope they use a similar engine in Flight.

#7 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:31 PM

View Postb0gey_dead_six, on Sep 5 2011, 12:05 PM, said:

we can only hope they use a similar engine in Flight.

Oh CRAP you said ENGINE!  Quick hide before that alaineedle guy finds this thread!

All joking aside, I'm okay with the visuals FSX had for weather, I'd rather see them focus more on smoother transitions between weather areas rather than a sudden and rather abrupt change.

#8 _BD6_

_BD6_

June '10 Screenshot Hotshot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

Forget that kid.

I wasn't specifically referring to the weather aspect though, the outside world looks real in that trailer.. dark and gloomy, and it looks smooth as well.

Maybe I'll just give up on flight sim and become a train fanatic :hrmm:

#9 alainneedle1

alainneedle1

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:47 PM

:hrmm:

#10 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

I think the weather in FSX looks pretty good, but it taxes my system a lot. In Flying Blind Across the Channel I had to turn the Weather settings to minimal, and I always stay with clear weather to eliminate single-digit FPS.

#11 Cortez

Cortez

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

Oh man, that Train Sim demo is insane! That looks amazing!

#12 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:58 PM

View PostKaotika, on Sep 5 2011, 12:51 PM, said:

I think the weather in FSX looks pretty good, but it taxes my system a lot. In Flying Blind Across the Channel I had to turn the Weather settings to minimal, and I always stay with clear weather to eliminate single-digit FPS.
Replace your cloud textures, your FPS will like that.

#13 fsxnate

fsxnate

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:21 PM

I really enjoy REX for what they've done in terms of weather and environment for FSX, but for me aviation/meteorology is the most fascninating thing.

#14 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:19 AM

View PostDaube, on Sep 5 2011, 10:58 PM, said:

Replace your cloud textures, your FPS will like that.

Though the irony is that my old laptop (mid-range for 2008, dead now) had no problem with clouds. Maybe because it had an Intel CPU and nVidia GPU which FSX likes better.

Which are some good cloud replacements? I don't care that much for quality, more about performance.

#15 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:06 AM

The clouds proposed by the FS9 addon "FS Skyworld 2004" (here in the flightsimhq file library) are providing an excellent quality/performance ratio, as well as a wide choice of cloud styles.

Warning: install ONLY the cloud textures. DO NOT, DO NEVER EVER install the sky textures because they are not compatible with FSX. Only the clouds are compatible.

Warning2: you'll have to install the software and use the small program to "install" the cloud textures to a dummy "FS9" folder before transfering the textures to your FSX folder. You cannot transfer directly the textures from the software install folder to your FSX because they are not "converted" yet. In the cloud-selection program, when you select a set of clouds and press the "install" button, there is some kind of conversion/transformation of the texture happening. After this conversion, the textures become usable in FSX. So just configure the program to indicate it a dummy FS9 folder and install your cloud textures there, then transfer them manually to your FSX folder :hrmm:

#16 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:00 AM

View PostDaube, on Sep 6 2011, 12:06 PM, said:

The clouds proposed by the FS9 addon "FS Skyworld 2004" (here in the flightsimhq file library) are providing an excellent quality/performance ratio, as well as a wide choice of cloud styles.

Warning: install ONLY the cloud textures. DO NOT, DO NEVER EVER install the sky textures because they are not compatible with FSX. Only the clouds are compatible.

Warning2: you'll have to install the software and use the small program to "install" the cloud textures to a dummy "FS9" folder before transfering the textures to your FSX folder. You cannot transfer directly the textures from the software install folder to your FSX because they are not "converted" yet. In the cloud-selection program, when you select a set of clouds and press the "install" button, there is some kind of conversion/transformation of the texture happening. After this conversion, the textures become usable in FSX. So just configure the program to indicate it a dummy FS9 folder and install your cloud textures there, then transfer them manually to your FSX folder :hrmm:

OK, I downloaded it, extracted the files, and now the program is installed in C:\Fs Sky World 2004. I'm unsure what to do next. When I try to run Fs Sky World 2004.exe, it says a file is missing from my computer and it cannot run. Now, how do I convert the textures so I can use in FSX?

#17 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:33 AM

First, in the library here in flightsimhq, there is also a patch for FS Skyworld. Perhaps you've already seen it and installed it. Else, you should do it.
Then, what kind of file is mentionned in the error message ?
I believe you'll have to "trick" FS Skyworld by specifying a dummy FS9 folder somewhere. I have created a dummy folder on my computer, c:\temp\fs9\, and in this folder I have dropped a copy of the FS9.exe that can be found in the FSX insallation folder. I believe that was enough.

When everything is set up correctly (you specify your dummy folder as destination folder) and FS Skyworld doesn't show you any errors anymore, then you'll just have to navigate through the cloud choices (there is a small preview picture for each choice), and then you press "INSTALL". It will copy then convert and copy the converted cloud file to your dummy folder. Then you'll just have to transfer this file to the corresponding folder in your FSX installation folder, and that's all :hrmm:

#18 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:11 PM

View PostHarryS_Truman, on Sep 5 2011, 12:31 PM, said:

Oh CRAP you said ENGINE!  Quick hide before that alaineedle guy finds this thread!

All joking aside, I'm okay with the visuals FSX had for weather, I'd rather see them focus more on smoother transitions between weather areas rather than a sudden and rather abrupt change.

I was browsing either the AVSIM or FsDreamTeam forums awhile back and saw people complaining about him there, too. :hrmm:

Edited by Buziel-411_RED, 15 September 2011 - 06:11 PM.

#19 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:07 AM

View PostBuziel-411_RED, on Sep 16 2011, 02:11 AM, said:

I was browsing either the AVSIM or FsDreamTeam forums awhile back and saw people complaining about him there, too. :hrmm:

B) :( :(  

I don't see him anymore. Has he left?

#20 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:14 AM

View PostDaube, on Sep 12 2011, 11:33 AM, said:

First, in the library here in flightsimhq, there is also a patch for FS Skyworld. Perhaps you've already seen it and installed it. Else, you should do it.
Then, what kind of file is mentionned in the error message ?
I believe you'll have to "trick" FS Skyworld by specifying a dummy FS9 folder somewhere. I have created a dummy folder on my computer, c:\temp\fs9\, and in this folder I have dropped a copy of the FS9.exe that can be found in the FSX insallation folder. I believe that was enough.

When everything is set up correctly (you specify your dummy folder as destination folder) and FS Skyworld doesn't show you any errors anymore, then you'll just have to navigate through the cloud choices (there is a small preview picture for each choice), and then you press "INSTALL". It will copy then convert and copy the converted cloud file to your dummy folder. Then you'll just have to transfer this file to the corresponding folder in your FSX installation folder, and that's all :hrmm:

I tried that once again, and I get the error message that the file MSVBCM50.DLL is missing from my computer. Checking for solutions online does nothing. What should I do?