79 replies to this topic

#41 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

This is all pretty interesting, appart from the fact that there is no available SDK fo flight, thus 3PDs like PMDG cannot create aircraft for the store. Not to mention if they did MS said that they could not use their own websites to promote their product, all intellectuall property rights would be signed off to MS upon addition to this 'store'. And a chunk of the profit would go to MS even though they had no part in the hard work and development of the addon. Polish it all you want, the concept is still a piece of :hrmm:.

#42 alainneedle1

alainneedle1

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

View PostSpam, on Jan 16 2012, 11:55 AM, said:

This is all pretty interesting, appart from the fact that there is no available SDK fo flight, thus 3PDs like PMDG cannot create aircraft for the store. Not to mention if they did MS said that they could not use their own websites to promote their product, all intellectuall property rights would be signed off to MS upon addition to this 'store'. And a chunk of the profit would go to MS even though they had no part in the hard work and development of the addon. Polish it all you want, the concept is still a piece of :hrmm:.

I hear you and you are making some valid point, the bottom line is that Flight is MS's product and they will do what they want with it like it or not, same with 3PD developers, there is some 3PD's forum where if you don't sing along with them you can be sure your post will be deleted in a heart beat.

Orbx will charge $8.00 to port your already paid addons from them to PreparD3, their products their rules.

Flight SDK has to be available to whom ever want to make addons for flight under MS's rules.

Edited by alainneedle1, 16 January 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#43 PrivateCustard

PrivateCustard

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

View Postalainneedle1, on Jan 16 2012, 05:05 PM, said:

Flight SDK has to be available to whom ever want to make addons for flight under MS's rules.

And in doing so, they'll kill their own product in one fell swoop.

Successful flight sims are built in a way that allows anyone to improve as they see fit. Freeware, payware, doesn't matter. Locking it down only serves to alienate not only the big addon developers, but anyone that's ever even repainted an aircraft.

Sure, MS can make the rules as it's their product, that's a fair point. Doesn't change the fact they're f****** idiots!

#44 alainneedle1

alainneedle1

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

Here is the bottom line, it's like drugs, what happen when a big drug lord is capture....a smaller fish wanting to be big is taking his place because there is a demand for the product and money to be made, if there is money to be made somebody will sell the product no matter what.

Same with addons, the big addon lord are making them for FSX because there is money to be made, if MS is to release some addons for Flight to test the water and a demand is created for them.....trust me, a smaller fish wanting to be big will make them (in house or else).

#45 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

View Postalainneedle1, on Jan 16 2012, 12:05 PM, said:

I hear you and you are making some valid point, the bottom line is that Flight is MS's product and they will do what they want with it like it or not, same with 3PD developers, there is some 3PD's forum where if you don't sing along with them you can be sure your post will be deleted in a heart beat.

Orbx will charge $8.00 to port your already paid addons from them to PreparD3, their products their rules.

Ok im a little confused, so it is available, but only to those companies that agree to hand over the rights and have it sold under the MS store?

#46 alainneedle1

alainneedle1

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostSpam, on Jan 17 2012, 04:13 PM, said:

Ok im a little confused, so it is available, but only to those companies that agree to hand over the rights and have it sold under the MS store?

Ok this is how it goes, there is no SDK  for addons to be sold in any store but the market store for Flight, DLC, the negotiations between MS and the devs. went down the drain, the pi$$ed dev is saying that MS pulled a fast one on them, others are saying not so fast MS did not do such thing....so as of today we don't know who will make addons for Flight if there is some made.

The only way you'll be able to buy more sceneries or plane (what ever the quality is) is from the market store, what does that mean for freeware dev.....it mean that they are screwed, cause if a SDK was to be released to the public you'll have to upload your work to the store to be downloaded to your Flight, aint't gonna happen as MS will not make any money on that, futher more all DLC will have to be beta tested before release....BIG PROBLEM.

So the bottom line is this, if you want to have access to the SDK (catch 22) you will have to work for MS as a dev. under their rules, they will then tell you what sceneries (places) or plane to make.

Edited by alainneedle1, 17 January 2012 - 04:53 PM.

#47 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for explaining, That is a big problem...

#48 PrivateCustard

PrivateCustard

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

So guys like Project Airbus, Project Opensky (or whatever the :hrmm: they're called now!).........even our very own flyhalf, are screwed then?

Will I even be able to do liveries for the (possibly upcoming) airliners? I've always wanted to fly a 737 that I've painted myself around the island of Oahu!

It's pure madness! I'm waiting for the price of FSX to go back up on Amazon now!

#49 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

View Postalainneedle1, on Jan 15 2012, 05:59 PM, said:

Dexter old friend, do you remember some of the post I wrote and the post you wrote because of mine before 01/04/2012......I said that Flight was based on FSX, DX10, pay as you go, no free addons, no backward compatibility +++ so was I right or was I right about my assumptions? On another forum one of my sources told on himself....now, should I "speculate" or make more assumptions again about what Flight will be in 8 to 12 months?

Since you now know that Flight started with FSX can you tell me were the rest of the world is, do you think MS deleted it just to keep Hawaii?

Since Flight is still in beta stage is it possible that for now MS is just showing us the game part, like the game part you have in FSX, remember, we have a game part in FSX with challenges and stuff.

Since you probably read other forums (assumptions on my part) you probably already know that some developers like Orbx were working with MS, so ask yourself this, do you think that all the developers involved with Flight were in for Hawaii only, I mean how many developers does it take to cover Hawaii with their sceneries, or how many of them does it take to make all the airports on the big Island...and after that what, do you think that PMG was talking with MS to make a 737 to fly around Hawaii main Island only?

So think about it and lets talk again soon.
It's obvious that Microsoft didn't delete the rest of the world and just kept Hawaii.

It's blatantly obvious since Microsoft themselves said in one of their press release statements that they plan to sell extra "planes and regions" from the online market (hence downloadable content).

But I think that's the biggest problem people have. And it's the worst of all facts.

From the way they've written their press release, and I'm sure lawyers helped them write it up, it seems to be indicating that:

1. We can no longer buy Flight from a game store. No more "boxed" copies of Flight. It's simply an online game, download-to-desktop.

2. We cannot buy the whole world one shot. We download Hawaii for free and buy extra regions bit by bit. And this means there's always a chance that we may never have the complete Earth. In 2-3 years time we might still have only half of the Earth's regions.

3. Developers stating they felt disappointed when MS took a wrong turn means they're not happy with the deal between 3rd party developers and MS. So we can kiss the free flowing nature of previous Flight sims goodbye.

#50 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

Microsoft and piracy. It's a tale of love and hate. As a company you can come up with the best anti-piracy code, but it's going to get demolished sooner or later.

#51 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

Marg bar Microsoft!

#52 alainneedle1

alainneedle1

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:23 PM

View PostMohammad, on Jan 17 2012, 07:20 PM, said:

1. We can no longer buy Flight from a game store. No more "boxed" copies of Flight. It's simply an online game, download-to-desktop.

2. We cannot buy the whole world one shot. We download Hawaii for free and buy extra regions bit by bit. And this means there's always a chance that we may never have the complete Earth. In 2-3 years time we might still have only half of the Earth's regions.

3. Developers stating they felt disappointed when MS took a wrong turn means they're not happy with the deal between 3rd party developers and MS. So we can kiss the free flowing nature of previous Flight sims goodbye.

1. Look at my old post, MS's Market store.

2. Old post again, pay as you go...can this be also apply to ATC, AI, cars, boats?? You bet it can.

3. You are right, it will not be business as usual....but guess what there is always 2 side to a story and we have not heard MS's side, don't believe everything you read, MS did not do what they did for no good reason. If the addons are as good or better from MS store compare to 3PD I'll by them, don't care from where they come from.

#53 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

I find it hilarious we all insulted alainneedle for months, calling his posts baseless speculation, yet in reality, he had been leaked inside information from ORBX. :hrmm:

#54 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

anyone here wanna pay for an atc package in flight?

i wouldn't pay 25 cents for something that should be there to begin with. and i do care where the addons come from and this the entire reason i refuse to touch flight. i did try the demo... until it stopped working do to a corrupt install... no option to repair or reinstall... no biggie though as i was bored of it already.

#55 162db

162db

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:33 PM

View PostPrivateCustard, on Jan 17 2012, 03:02 PM, said:

It's pure madness! I'm waiting for the price of FSX to go back up on Amazon now!

This isn't madness. This is MICROSOFT! :hrmm:

View PostMohammad, on Jan 17 2012, 05:20 PM, said:

Correction, you only get one of the Hawaiian islands for free. You have to buy the rest.

#56 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:58 AM

View Postalainneedle1, on Jan 16 2012, 07:22 AM, said:

They are not making a brand new out of the box simulator, that will take at least 4 > 5 years, they started with FSX, fixing bugs.
I'd like to know how that's possible without violating contract agreements. MS didn't do any of the work on FSX. ACES did the work and MS put their name on it.

Now peoples are welling to buy sceneries or plane from 3PD at $25.00 > $65.00 a pop (and sometimes more) to cover places they fly over, what's the difference with Flight will you ask?....about if you can buy a plane or sceneries from the market store for $5.99 (speculation on the price) , or you want to add the ATC or something else for $2.99, see that's the beauty of it, if you'r a bush flyer you don't need a complex plane so you don't have to have one in your hangar, if you are an experience pilot (airliner) you may be able to choose what plane you want, 747...737....about buying sceneries you fly over, I don't fly over Africa or Russia, so if I have the possibility to buy only where I fly over.... I'm in.

I somewhat agree. The reason I say somewhat is that I feel this should already be included in the game. Especially if ATC and the airplanes themselves haven't changed since FSX then I wouldn't think it's worth the money. Honestly, MS should pay me for using their default ATC.

Now, let me ask you this, who need that kind of computer to play an arcade game, below are the spec. from MS...

The majority of the community doesn't want a arcade game. We want a simulator.

Edited by THBatMan8, 18 January 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#57 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

View PostTHBatMan8, on Jan 18 2012, 09:58 AM, said:

I'd like to know how that's possible without violating contract agreements. MS didn't do any of the work on FSX. ACES did the work and MS put their name on it.

Becasue when you make a game on behalf of a company like microsoft, microsoft own all the IP rights to the game itelf.

Edited by Spam, 18 January 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#58 Father_Jack

Father_Jack

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

Having read this topic closely, I am amazed at how Microsoft have not done any simple research that the majority of people who use Flight Simulator 9/X want a hardcore sim version. The amount of money they could make would be superb if they even made some more obvious tweaks to FS9/X.

What about a simple improvement of the ATC engine: include SID/STARs, a proper AI monitor to put busy airport traffic into a holding stack, use of speed control. This alone would be a massive improvement that simmers like myself would be incredibly pleased for. Now yes I know some people will say 'use VATSIM or IVAO' well I do, but it never represents the shear traffic levels with see in reality.

It seems Microsoft have changed the philosophy and instead of providing a simulator for all age-groups, they are now only focused on beginner simulators to provide users with 'fun' rather than 'realism'.

#59 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

ACES was microsoft. it was their in house game design team. same thing with the new 343 Studios...

what they really need to do now is rework the code in fsx the same way they did for filght.. and release it as a service pack so fsx can also get 80-100 fps.

Edited by jcovelli, 18 January 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#60 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

View Postjcovelli, on Jan 18 2012, 07:22 PM, said:

ACES was microsoft. it was their in house game design team. same thing with the new 343 Studios...

what they really need to do now is rework the code in fsx the same way they did for filght.. and release it as a service pack so fsx can also get 80-100 fps.

They want to sell Flight, not FSX.