- - - - -

My AA Marketing Alternative 2012 (Rejected)

american airlines marketing indy rejected 2012

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Independence76

Independence76

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

POPULAR

This is what I presented to a few AA executives last fall. They were "very impressed" and I got a conference call out of it.

I figured now is a good time to show you my proposed alternative.

Album link:
http://imgur.com/a/mwEiY
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Edited by Independence76, 18 January 2013 - 01:24 AM.

#2 Toyuko

Toyuko

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

Very professional and well done. I would have liked to see American Airlines keep their eagle logo and in your design they have done that. You livery design allowed for a great flexiblity and choice.

Too bad it got rejected. But well done sir.

#3 Andrewsarchus

Andrewsarchus

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:26 AM

You've clearly got an eye for this sort of thing, well done. I prefer this over the scheme they have brought in now.

#4 03SVTCobra

03SVTCobra

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

Do you work for American I take it? Or just proposed this to them? I've just started coming back around this site last time I was here you were in highschool I think. Reason I ask is I work in the marketing department for one of the most recognizable brands in the country (That little green lizard I'm sure you've seen) and you're on the right path to being successful at this type of thing.

Edited by 03SVTCobra, 18 January 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#5 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

No, he proposed it to them.

#6 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

The cabin interiors seemed to represent the bulk of your proposal, with only one slide representing the main livery redesign. I would have focused a little less on the adaptations and more on the core logo/branding. That aside, it looks very professional and you have put together a nice folio.

Just my $0.02

#7 Pierre.

Pierre.

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostCactus, on 18 January 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

The cabin interiors seemed to represent the bulk of your proposal, with only one slide representing the main livery redesign. I would have focused a little less on the adaptations and more on the core logo/branding. That aside, it looks very professional and you have put together a nice folio.

Just my $0.02

Agreed! Nice work there, however a bit more work on the livery would have been awesome.
Thanks for sharing!

#8 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

First off, the folio is professional and impressive. Regardless of the content itself, the design and overall style of the folio is superb. As for the proposal itself, not too bad.

However, to be honest, I think I prefer the livery and logo they actually chose rather than the one you designed. One of the worst things for a brand is to become stagnant and old and that's exactly what happened with American. The Eagle in its old form may have worked for 40 or so years but it clearly isn't working now and it was time for American to part from it. They needed a complete refresh of the brand to come across as a "whole new airline." Now it is up to them to pair the aesthetics with improved customer services.

#9 Independence76

Independence76

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostLA_PHX, on 18 January 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

First off, the folio is professional and impressive. Regardless of the content itself, the design and overall style of the folio is superb. As for the proposal itself, not too bad.

However, to be honest, I think I prefer the livery and logo they actually chose rather than the one you designed. One of the worst things for a brand is to become stagnant and old and that's exactly what happened with American. The Eagle in its old form may have worked for 40 or so years but it clearly isn't working now and it was time for American to part from it. They needed a complete refresh of the brand to come across as a "whole new airline." Now it is up to them to pair the aesthetics with improved customer services.

My theory behind the eagle usage in the past few years is that it's an underrated logo due to the fact the airline never really exposed it enough. It has most often been used as a tiny logo above "AA" and never really put in a large visible position.

I defend the older eagle logo because not only its potential, but also its classic and executive look.

The thing I hate most about the new tail design is not only the ridiculous amount of detail in it, but more of the fact they used the American flag as a centerpiece in the livery. In my book, that is the single most stereotypical design element you can incorporate to a livery of a US airline.

#10 divemaster08

divemaster08

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I really liked it! congrats! Shame they may of not taken your ideas forward..... Their Loss!

If i may just see some issues that I didn't like.......

While i enjoyed the new Livery, i think the "special" schemes were too "cartoony" perhaps that i just based off these first impressions. The Eagle look tho is very nice!

The cabin I do like! The little logos on the Economy chairs is very snazzy! The black tho i think it too harsh a colour. While it will hide all the wears and tears, I think its just too dark. The Dark Navy Blue would work better, but still may not be the correct colour.

Im sure you have flown AA before, but have you ever flown First Class on the Flagship suite? It is actually a fantastic chair and its idea is great! The swivel chair is unique (i think) and as its not got high walls everywhere, it gives the feel of more space. While I have flown BA's new First and really enjoyed it, but i felt that you don't get as much space in your seat than the AA chair. The newer version of AA's seat (on the 777-300ER) is just a wonderful upgrade on the older seat. I hope to be able to fly it one day!

This stuff however is great, AA should look at implementing some of your ideas and move onto creating the greater new Airline they want

#11 Independence76

Independence76

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

View Postdivemaster08, on 18 January 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

While i enjoyed the new Livery, i think the "special" schemes were too "cartoony" perhaps that i just based off these first impressions. The Eagle look tho is very nice!

I have to somewhat agree with your comment. I considered leaving it out due to the fact I felt like I could have done a bit better on them, but it shows off the flexibility of my design language proposal, so I kept it in.

The cabin I do like! The little logos on the Economy chairs is very snazzy! The black tho i think it too harsh a colour. While it will hide all the wears and tears, I think its just too dark. The Dark Navy Blue would work better, but still may not be the correct colour.

The renderings were not perfect, I must admit. I just took the seat preview shots from the Weber website and recolored them in Photoshop to make it look like a professional job. I spent hours getting each component right. The Business and First Class seats were particularly difficult.

Im sure you have flown AA before, but have you ever flown First Class on the Flagship suite? It is actually a fantastic chair and its idea is great! The swivel chair is unique (i think) and as its not got high walls everywhere, it gives the feel of more space. While I have flown BA's new First and really enjoyed it, but i felt that you don't get as much space in your seat than the AA chair. The newer version of AA's seat (on the 777-300ER) is just a wonderful upgrade on the older seat. I hope to be able to fly it one day!

I've flown in First Class domestic last summer, which was very old.

I understand the swivel feature is a nice touch, but not all seat products allow that design. I talked with the marketing management about the usage of fabric in their first class seats as opposed to leather, and I found it a very confusing situation.

The marketing department says they rely on "customer surveys" for their direction to choose fabric over leather, even though dozens of worldwide carriers have adopted leather in premium classes and have received critical acclaim far beyond what AA has ever achieved. I don't see why "customer surveys" should take priority over an "international standard" in a situation such as this.

#12 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostIndependence76, on 18 January 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

My theory behind the eagle usage in the past few years is that it's an underrated logo due to the fact the airline never really exposed it enough. It has most often been used as a tiny logo above "AA" and never really put in a large visible position.

I defend the older eagle logo because not only its potential, but also its classic and executive look.

The thing I hate most about the new tail design is not only the ridiculous amount of detail in it, but more of the fact they used the American flag as a centerpiece in the livery. In my book, that is the single most stereotypical design element you can incorporate to a livery of a US airline.

The Eagle is certainly classic and "executive" but perhaps that is what is getting AA into trouble somewhat. While business travelers are quite lucrative for airlines, they still have to rely on the leisure and other travel to fill the void. They have to update their offerings and brand to appeal to more than just the business and executive travel.

I understand the criticisms of the tail and it isn't my favorite design but they bear the name American. They are trying to portray that they are "America's airline." It may not work but I certainly understand why they went that direction and I think the tail will start to grow on us.

#13 03SVTCobra

03SVTCobra

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

View Post_NW_, on 18 January 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

No, he proposed it to them.

Sorry I didn't realize American was accepting third party proposals I figured they already had a marketing team or outside consultant in place to spearhead this project.

#14 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

View PostIndependence76, on 18 January 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

I don't see why "customer surveys" should take priority over an "international standard" in a situation such as this.

Put yourself in the shoes of an executive who has spent a large sum of money performing a customer survey or consultation - and then explaining to your boss that you are going to contradict the findings of those surveys, and implement something entirely different.

Based on my experience, rarely is an industry standard or 'best practice' considered - many large airlines seems to think that they are special and unique in that respect, and that their existing policies are what work best for them. That's one of the challenges of having a legacy management team (or a bloated management structure with excessive red tape). Most won't seem to bring new or fresh ideas to the table, and aren't willing to carry out any radical or dramatic overhauls to existing products or services. Given the inner workings and politics of most large companies, I can imagine it would be incredibly difficult for an airline the size of AA to unite their operational branches to agree and move forward on such a radical change.

Edited by Cactus, 18 January 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#15 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

He does work for American as a tour guide or something of that nature.

#16 Shamir

Shamir

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

I love the work and presentation, however I see the liveries very "monotonous" ... grey fuselage and one color on the tail. Maybe if you had gone a bit bit bit further and add some "detailed" accessories to the tail paint will be a great improvement.

great work nonetheless.

my.02

#17 Independence76

Independence76

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

View PostCactus, on 18 January 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

Put yourself in the shoes of an executive who has spent a large sum of money performing a customer survey or consultation - and then explaining to your boss that you are going to contradict the findings of those surveys, and implement something entirely different.

That's certainly understandable, but when your competitors are driving quality far above your level (and contradict your survey numbers), what would you do?

I've never been the one to follow the basic "rulebook" when it comes to marketing. Very few companies and teams seem to do it the way I do.

I'd like to share an advertisement that made it to the US that, to me, doesn't follow the "rulebook." It doesn't throw numbers at people, nor a specific product, but instead just simply stirs emotions of the viewer. This kind of marketing art is rarely utilized and many fantastic opportunities are missed.

#18 03SVTCobra

03SVTCobra

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

That's all well and good until you work in industry. Especially in the united states we are a what did you do for me lately society and thats why our marketing has to get your attention and then tell you why when where who and how much all in a 30 second spot.

#19 Independence76

Independence76

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

View Post03SVTCobra, on 19 January 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

That's all well and good until you work in industry. Especially in the united states we are a what did you do for me lately society and thats why our marketing has to get your attention and then tell you why when where who and how much all in a 30 second spot.

Wait, what?

#20 03SVTCobra

03SVTCobra

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

In reference to your add that jusy stirs emotions with no particular motive. Its probably not very successful. The reason that type of marketing is not used is because it doesn't work in the US.

Edited by 03SVTCobra, 19 January 2013 - 02:13 PM.

Also tagged with american airlines, marketing, indy, rejected, 2012