- - - - -

Which FSX payware addons should I buy first?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 FSX_Gamer

FSX_Gamer

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:00 AM

So what's the solution other than buying a new hdd? Can I install FSX on an external HDD? Or can I expand drive F? And what's the minimum recomended dedicated space for fsx?

#22 MikeySM

MikeySM

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

I think what they mean is, basically learn to fly before splashing out big bucks on add-ons.

Do a lot of practice flights and reading online, practice different approaches, autopilot settings, navigation etc.

It wouldn't make sense buying something like Kai Tak if you can barely fly in a straight line.

Its not meant as a dig, but if you want to get the most out of your sim, you need to put in the hours, start from the beginning and learn from the beginning.

It takes more than just a couple of hours to understand how to fly a complex add-on if you don't know the basics. There is lots to learn in the FSX lessons :)

#23 FSX_Gamer

FSX_Gamer

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but as this is mine own thread, I believe this will be tolerated. Anyway, this will be my wishlist (in order):

1. REXE - OD (planning to buy)
2. UTX Europe
3. GEX Europe
4. Aerosoft Airbus X
5. Airport Environment X by Zinertek
6. Sim Physics X
7. One of the Carenado planes
8. iFly 737 NG (not PMDG because: 1. too expensive,  2. doesn't include 600 and 700 series and BBJs)
9. UTX USA
10. GEX NA

Edited by FSX_Gamer, 25 October 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#24 Capt_Gabe

Capt_Gabe

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:02 AM

You should look into the Orbx FTX sceneries too, maybe instead of the GEX/UTX products. http://www.fullterrain.com/

#25 FSX_Gamer

FSX_Gamer

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

I've looked ORBX FTX too, but unfortunately these are limited to small areas. I know there is the global version, but it's very expensive for me. Maybe wait few years more.

Edited by FSX_Gamer, 26 October 2013 - 08:04 AM.

#26 dwf2008

dwf2008

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

The website to purchase REX includes this note "To use REX Essential PLUS with Prepar3D, users will be required to pay a one-time licensing fee. Purchasing this special license is only available within the REX Essential PLUS application. To use FlightAware data within REX Essential PLUS, users will be required to purchase a monthly subscription. Purchasing this subscription is only available within the REX Essential PLUS application." It's not clear to me what this means except that there is additional cost involved. How much is this and is this required to use the add-on or only some features of the add-on. If the latter, what features are not available without the extra fee? Also, what more do you get with the overdrive version?
Thanks

#27 CJWood29

CJWood29

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:09 AM

May I suggest Sion Airport in Switzerland too. With a small aircraft it shouldn't give you too much difficulty but the approach is spectacular even in default FSX. Those of you who have GEX / UTX & REX, any chance of a screen grab from that? I have REX myself and want to justify buying UTX / GEX.
Plus it would make an amazing flight for any one who hasn't flown that part of the world yet.