- - - - -

Looking to buy new laptop - FS2004 setup okay?

fs2004 specs system requirements laptop dedicated graphics card processor new

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ignaciojapan

ignaciojapan

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:45 AM

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a fairly cheap laptop that I will dedicate solely to FS2004. Here's the setup I've been considering:
  • 1TB SATA 5400rpm Hard Drive
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM
  • 2GB dedicated video memory
  • Intel 3rd Gen i7 2.4GHz processor (With Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz) <--don't know what that quite means
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M Graphics Card
Ideally, I want a nice balance of scenery to AI Traffic to FPS, looking for any FPS rate that can take me at the speed I'm going (i.e. my current frame rate takes me 1 hour to go 350nm at 450kt GS).

Also, I'm new to the FS world (after converting from X-Plane), so any starter tips would be greatly appreciated!

#2 FSX_Gamer

FSX_Gamer

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

Turbo boost to 3.4 GHz is good enough, VGA card is a bit slow, HDD and RAM won't be a problem (even a 60GB HDD will run FSX properly, but it's not recommended). If space and mobility is not your problem, you can buy a desktop PC of higher specs of the same price.

#3 ignaciojapan

ignaciojapan

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

Okay, what are some recommended graphics cards? Again, I don't need 100s of fps, but enough to run comfortably.

#4 ignaciojapan

ignaciojapan

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

EDIT: How about this?
  • AMD FX-Series 3.5GHz Processor
  • 8GB DDR3 SDRAM
  • 1TB SATA III 7200rpm hard drive
  • AMD Radeon HD 7750 Graphics card
  • 1GB Dedicated video memory
Thanks,
Ignacio

#5 FSX_Gamer

FSX_Gamer

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:21 AM

That's better than the first even the VRAM is half as much. Is that desktop PC? And for the graphics recommendation, go with VGA cards with at least 1GB GDDR5 with 256 bit or more bandwidth. Many people said NVIDIA is better, but my machine (AMD Radeon together with Intel i5) can run FSX flawlessly

Also tagged with fs2004, specs, system requirements, laptop, dedicated, graphics card, processor, new