- - - - -

September 2004 Screenshot Contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
82 replies to this topic

Poll: Which is the best screenshot (scroll down to see this month's entries)? (118 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is the best screenshot (scroll down to see this month's entries)?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#41 air_transat

air_transat

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 06:07 PM

No :D

#42 RadRig211

RadRig211

Orville Reincarnate

• Members/Edit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 06:13 PM

Okay, just because the shot had been seen before, You don't hafta go and ruin his whole privacy to the whole forum. Instead, you could have told Jon that #14 had been seen before, provide him the link, and he could have removed it, instead of ruining the guys shot in public :o  :D
Went with number 16, its beautiful! :o

#43 RadRig211

RadRig211

Orville Reincarnate

• Members/Edit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:04 PM

Why do you guys always think that a shot that is far superior is always edited? It isnt, its a good shot with the right timing, and a good system. Thats all it is. Ive seen weather, sky, environments like that in FS all the time! Its nothing too special, but it is a good shot.

#44 Fox

Fox

Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:06 PM

RadRig211, on Sep 2 2004, 08:04 PM, said:

Why do you guys always think that a shot that is far superior is always edited? It isnt, its a good shot with the right timing, and a good system. Thats all it is. Ive seen weather, sky, environments like that in FS all the time! Its nothing too special, but it is a good shot.
Well put David!

Well... The admins gave us another chance to go with replies open... and we blow it. :D Perhaps it is time to start locking these...

#45 buddlite

buddlite

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:14 PM

RadRig211, on Sep 2 2004, 07:04 PM, said:

Why do you guys always think that a shot that is far superior is always edited?
Far superior?  :o  Hahahaha :D

For your information, I went right past #16 without giving it another glance because it was so mundane.  :o  To me the far superior shot is 19.  I only gave 16 another glance when I was baffled to see it actually got some votes and then looked at it closely and i was not the only one who thought it was edited.

#46 Chief Wiggum

Chief Wiggum

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:35 PM

Agreed.  :D  :o

buddlite, on Sep 2 2004, 07:14 PM, said:

Far superior? Hahahaha

For your information, I went right past #16 without giving it another glance because it was so mundane. To me the far superior shot is 19. I only gave 16 another glance when I was baffled to see it actually got some votes and then looked at it closely and i was not the only one who thought it was edited.
So if it's not far superior why are you loosing your time by saying it's edited? Although #16 is not my shot, he's winning, and I recognize he's got a very nice shot.  :o

#47 buddlite

buddlite

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:40 PM

Chief Wiggum, on Sep 2 2004, 07:35 PM, said:

So if it's not far superior why are you loosing your time by saying it's edited?
Because its unfair to the others because this is supposed to be a non-edited contest only.  even if it had only one vote i would say the same thing (if I had noticed it that is, which I didn't at first because this shot #16 was nothing special)

Edited by buddlite, 02 September 2004 - 07:42 PM.

#48 Jon

Jon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:40 PM

Now I understand what Byron goes through! :D  I think speculation on whether or not a shot is edited is pointless after the contest has started.  If it were an obvious edit then I would have caught it before the contest started.  Edits that aren't obvious don't sway the end vote.  It's impossible for us to always catch the smallest of edits, and you can't accuse somebody of an edit if you aren't absolutely positive about it.  With all the mods available now it's very easy for a shot to look like an edit, even if it's not.

But yes, as several of you have said, PM the contest host (myself this month) if you suspect the rules have been broken! I know this wasn't made very obvious this month (I mentioned it in the pre-contest topic, but not everybody saw that).  There's no need to bring up these things in the forum - it's not fair to the authors of the shots.  I've removed some of the comments for this reason. :o

As far as #16 is concerned, I do not see any edit.  A similar shot was posted a few months back and raised a few eyebrows.  The color scheme tends to throw people off, but it is legit.  

Thanks,
Jon

#49 Anthony

Anthony

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:44 PM

jon just owned the people who thought 16 was edited lol

#50 air_transat

air_transat

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:44 PM

This will be the last contest Jon hosts :D

#51 Anthony

Anthony

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:45 PM

well, byron came back today, so he should've left him with the problems  :D

#52 air_transat

air_transat

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:47 PM

LOL, ya, it would have been easier :D

#53 Tom.D

Tom.D

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:48 PM

buddlite, on Sep 2 2004, 04:14 PM, said:

Why do you guys always think that a shot that is far superior is always edited?
Far superior?  :o  Hahahaha :D

For your information, I went right past #16 without giving it another glance because it was so mundane.  :o  To me the far superior shot is 19.  I only gave 16 another glance when I was baffled to see it actually got some votes and then looked at it closely and i was not the only one who thought it was edited.
Thats your opinion, too me shot 7 is superior.

Everyoine has a opinion, so people aren't all gonna think 19 is superior.

#54 Anthony

Anthony

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:51 PM

all i know is that 16 isnt edited.

the sun DOES illuminate the sky orange in FS, and FS creates the 'mist' look where the skyline is. the buildings and plane don't look sharpened, and there doesnt seem to be any color balance movements.  contrast is a maybe, but i doubt it.

#55 tikiman06

tikiman06

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:57 PM

with all the things fs did wrong. they sure as he11 did the sunsets well. 16 is not edited, i see those colors all the time in fs. budlite, do you just wait for the contest to come around so you can disrespect peoples shots?

#56 air_transat

air_transat

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:57 PM

When does the voting end anyways :D

#57 buddlite

buddlite

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:11 PM

tikiman06, on Sep 2 2004, 07:57 PM, said:

budlite, do you just wait for the contest to come around so you can disrespect peoples shots?
no i beleive i stick up up for the underdog and im not afraid of voicing my opinion. any breaking of the rules like piracy, editing shots, entering old shots, you can be sure i speak out.  i admit i can get a bit zealous sometimes, but its in the idea of making the field level for everone.

#58 Jon

Jon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:26 PM

buddlite, on Sep 2 2004, 09:11 PM, said:

tikiman06, on Sep 2 2004, 07:57 PM, said:

budlite, do you just wait for the contest to come around so you can disrespect peoples shots?
no i beleive i stick up up for the underdog and im not afraid of voicing my opinion. any breaking of the rules like piracy, editing shots, entering old shots, you can be sure i speak out.  i admit i can get a bit zealous sometimes, but its in the idea of making the field level for everone.
Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion, and a lot of us are guilty of being overzealous at times. :D  I do think it'll be to the good of everyone if the contest host is PMed about possible cheaters first though.

#59 Unity_Sabor

Unity_Sabor

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:29 PM

16 took the cake for me as well!! very nice shot, if it had been any other time of day.. ick lol

#60 SmartJunco

SmartJunco

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:42 PM

I liked number 16 but I went with 6.

Edited by SmartJunco, 02 September 2004 - 08:43 PM.