ddrbyte

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:22 PM

Douglas Buis, on Sep 26 2004, 12:19 PM, said:

jonf, on Sep 26 2004, 12:14 PM, said:

hehe, my environment revolves around 24 hour operation.. I got one PC which is a celeron 1.0 running as a gateway for my T3 internet to network. It sorts all connections and sends them to appropriate ares in the network

No offence, but that isn't a high-capacity environment. I'm talking about SQL servers that do 100 million + queries a day for the NY State Bar Association or data servers that transfer 200-400 Gigs per day for the NY City Autopsy Department. There is a limit at which point AMD will become unreliable and fail where Intel will maintain adequate performance. Again, these are situations that you just don't find in any home environment.
:D  :o    very true
I know I said I was done but... Have you guys ever heard of the AMD Opteron!!?!? It pwnz the Xeon.

#42 Neil.

Neil.

Hardware Guru\Screenshot Hotshot of 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,621 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:23 PM

ddrbyte, on Sep 26 2004, 06:21 PM, said:

Yeah :/. Well its a little better because you have the NF2 version and not the VIA. There is another model almost the same model number that is a VIA chipset. If you are looking into overclocking I would go for the Abit NF7-S or DFI Ultra Infinity. You probably knew that though lol.
Yeah I always hear good things about those mobos for overclocking, I think I might just stick to the Asus board for the moment and see how far I can overclock on it and if I can't get very far maybe try the mobos suggested.

#43 jonf

jonf

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:30 PM

The truth is, people have had problems with both AMD and Intel. Many times the problem isn't even the CPU but rather the MB, heat, power issues, another component, memory or just user ignorance. If it's the users first experience with this manufacturer then chances are they will become an advocate for the other brand. If you build your system properly then both CPUs will perform as they should. So unless you're running multiple CPUs and have them pushed to 100% 24/7 for months on end without any breaks at all then they're both good processors. Then you do something stupid and put Windows on your computer and nothing works right again, anyway :D

(BTW, I am an MS supporter despite the comment above)

Edited by jonf, 26 September 2004 - 12:31 PM.

#44 ddrbyte

ddrbyte

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:31 PM

leworthy, on Sep 26 2004, 12:23 PM, said:

ddrbyte, on Sep 26 2004, 06:21 PM, said:

Yeah :/. Well its a little better because you have the NF2 version and not the VIA. There is another model almost the same model number that is a VIA chipset. If you are looking into overclocking I would go for the Abit NF7-S or DFI Ultra Infinity. You probably knew that though lol.
Yeah I always hear good things about those mobos for overclocking, I think I might just stick to the Asus board for the moment and see how far I can overclock on it and if I can't get very far maybe try the mobos suggested.
Yeah. I wouldn't go buy a new motherboard just to overclock UNLESS you really really want to. I do really enjoy overclocking. Its an awsome hobby!

#45 Hockey07

Hockey07

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:55 PM

We really don't care about what you think of AMD.  We buy them, we like them, we couldnt care less about your opinion if we're satisfied with them.

And apparently we are

#46 B737

B737

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:56 PM

AMD for sure...I run a Athlon XP 3000+ It runs awesome no problems at all. I tested it againt my friends P4 o/c to 3.2 ghz and it blew it away in performance. Also you get a bang for you buck with AMD, unlike intel where everthing is overprice

#47 BrianF

BrianF

formerly BrianFeinzimer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 01:39 PM

jonf, on Sep 26 2004, 09:55 AM, said:

For a personal computer, AMD is probably fine. For an office server, go Intel. I've got 67 servers, 20 used to be AMD until this summer when they were all replaced with Intel. Every single AMD had problems working in a high-capacity 24/7 environment. There is no doubt in my mind that Intel makes a much more reliable CPU. However, if you aren't running your PC in this kind of environment then chances are you'd never really have any noticable problems.
Heh, I just randomly read THIS post.......

I was feelin bad about get in a P4 in my new computer...

but after this I felll better

I usually leave my computer on for as much as 3 days ina row, acting as a server & agaming machine so yea......If there is truth to this post I quoted...

#48 jonf

jonf

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 01:48 PM

I don't think you'd have a problem using either CPU. If your PC was on for 6 months at a time and had 300 other people also using it at the same time as you. Then you might run into a problem with AMD.

#49 B737

B737

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:18 PM

jonf, on Sep 26 2004, 01:48 PM, said:

I don't think you'd have a problem using either CPU. If your PC was on for 6 months at a time and had 300 other people also using it at the same time as you. Then you might run into a problem with AMD.
i don't think anyone would havr a pc on for 3month unless it was a server, and then there wouldnt be 300 people using it. And if you had 300 people using your pc, I would like to know why 300 people come over t oyou house to use your computer. You post made no point!

#50 jonf

jonf

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:29 PM

Maybe you should ready the whole thread instead of just a few messages at the beginning and end. I was continuing a point I've been making in the past few posts I've made.

#51 Folgers

Folgers

formerly Douglas Buis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,763 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:36 PM

ddrbyte, on Sep 26 2004, 12:06 PM, said:

leworthy, on Sep 26 2004, 12:00 PM, said:

and I can run prime95 all week without it failing

Ooh Prime95 the favourite of overclockers, that is one mean SOB for stress testing it is more intensive than any game will be.

You must have a pretty good chip to be able to get 2.7Ghz out of it and run prime95 for that long.

I think I might invest in one and see how far I can overclock that badboy.
Yeah prime95 is a pretty tuff program. Yeah these XP-M's (mobile's) are amazing. They are for laptops and stuff but they are socket A. They fit right in there and run just fine. They are so good because they run at such a lower voltage and it gives you a lot more headroom to overclock and add more voltage. I think I could push it a little bit further with better RAM. Gotta wait till Income Tax comes in hehe :D. But the stepping that I have is the best as far as I know. It might be a little hard to find it. Your best bet would be going to your local computer store and seeing if they have it. Make sure you make them let you see the chip. The stepping I have is in my sig. It is well worth my $95 for a $300+ cpu lol :o. NOTE: The XP-M's are the only current Athlon XPs that are unlocked. That is also what makes them so good :o.
And yes, I will admit..  AMD's Mobile Processor lines are very impressive.  Actually, to tell the truth.  Besides the AMD64 line, I think the mobile line is AMD's best accomplishment.  And truthfully, I would buy one of those over a celeron, and also, I would buy an AMD 64..  But the others (XP (I like, but not that much), opteron, and semperon) I simply do not care for for reasons I have implied.

It is just those few processors and AMD's way of doing things that I do not like.

And sorry I was going to post this like 4 hours ago but the hurricane forced my ISP to shut down servers temporarily.

#52 Neil.

Neil.

Hardware Guru\Screenshot Hotshot of 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,621 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:42 PM

Douglas Buis, on Sep 26 2004, 08:36 PM, said:

Ooh Prime95 the favourite of overclockers, that is one mean SOB for stress testing it is more intensive than any game will be.

You must have a pretty good chip to be able to get 2.7Ghz out of it and run prime95 for that long.

Yeah prime95 is a pretty tuff program. Yeah these XP-M's (mobile's) are amazing. They are for laptops and stuff but they are socket A. They fit right in there and run just fine. They are so good because they run at such a lower voltage and it gives you a lot more headroom to overclock and add more voltage. I think I could push it a little bit further with better RAM. Gotta wait till Income Tax comes in hehe :o. But the stepping that I have is the best as far as I know. It might be a little hard to find it. Your best bet would be going to your local computer store and seeing if they have it. Make sure you make them let you see the chip. The stepping I have is in my sig. It is well worth my $95 for a $300+ cpu lol B). NOTE: The XP-M's are the only current Athlon XPs that are unlocked. That is also what makes them so good :o.
And yes, I will admit..  AMD's Mobile Processor lines are very impressive.  Actually, to tell the truth.  Besides the AMD64 line, I think the mobile line is AMD's best accomplishment.  And truthfully, I would buy one of those over a celeron, and also, I would buy an AMD 64..  But the others (XP (I like, but not that much), opteron, and semperon) I simply do not care for for reasons I have implied.

It is just those few processors and AMD's way of doing things that I do not like.

And sorry I was going to post this like 4 hours ago but the hurricane forced my ISP to shut down servers temporarily.
  :D  :o your contradicting yourself there, the AMD mobile processors are just XP's with a lower voltage from standard and are hand picked from when they are made.

Also again the new socket T P4's use a PR rating system so again you are contradicting yourself.

#53 ddrbyte

ddrbyte

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:44 PM

Can you give me some proof of this? I would just like to know where you are getting this information from. If you are just assuming this then well... heh. My computer has maybe done a hard freeze on me 2 times. That is in 2 years that I have been building mine and overclocking. Please give me some proof other wise just stop talking about it.

#54 ddrbyte

ddrbyte

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:46 PM

leworthy, on Sep 26 2004, 02:42 PM, said:

Yeah prime95 is a pretty tuff program. Yeah these XP-M's (mobile's) are amazing. They are for laptops and stuff but they are socket A. They fit right in there and run just fine. They are so good because they run at such a lower voltage and it gives you a lot more headroom to overclock and add more voltage. I think I could push it a little bit further with better RAM. Gotta wait till Income Tax comes in hehe :o. But the stepping that I have is the best as far as I know. It might be a little hard to find it. Your best bet would be going to your local computer store and seeing if they have it. Make sure you make them let you see the chip. The stepping I have is in my sig. It is well worth my $95 for a $300+ cpu lol B). NOTE: The XP-M's are the only current Athlon XPs that are unlocked. That is also what makes them so good :o.

:D  :o your contradicting yourself there, the AMD mobile processors are just XP's with a lower voltage from standard and are hand picked from when they are made.

Also again the new socket T P4's use a PR rating system so again you are contradicting yourself.
Well said. Just so you "Intel Guys" know... we are not knocking Intel. We are just simply trying to say that there is no reason to knock AMD!

#55 Folgers

Folgers

formerly Douglas Buis

• Members
  • 10,763 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:48 PM

ddrbyte, on Sep 26 2004, 02:44 PM, said:

Can you give me some proof of this? I would just like to know where you are getting this information from. If you are just assuming this then well... heh. My computer has maybe done a hard freeze on me 2 times. That is in 2 years that I have been building mine and overclocking. Please give me some proof other wise just stop talking about it.
he is refering to you using the pc as a webserver..  AMD semperon, In my humble opinion with using semperon, are good, but intel does a better job in it when high demanding tasks are needed server-side.

#56 ddrbyte

ddrbyte

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:52 PM

The AMD Semperon is not a server CPU. The Semperon is designed to compete with a Celeron and is taking over the Duron line of CPU's... so again. What are you talking about lol? I still would like proof!

#57 Folgers

Folgers

formerly Douglas Buis

• Members
  • 10,763 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:53 PM

ddrbyte, on Sep 26 2004, 02:46 PM, said:

leworthy, on Sep 26 2004, 02:42 PM, said:

Yeah prime95 is a pretty tuff program. Yeah these XP-M's (mobile's) are amazing. They are for laptops and stuff but they are socket A. They fit right in there and run just fine. They are so good because they run at such a lower voltage and it gives you a lot more headroom to overclock and add more voltage. I think I could push it a little bit further with better RAM. Gotta wait till Income Tax comes in hehe :o. But the stepping that I have is the best as far as I know. It might be a little hard to find it. Your best bet would be going to your local computer store and seeing if they have it. Make sure you make them let you see the chip. The stepping I have is in my sig. It is well worth my $95 for a $300+ cpu lol :o. NOTE: The XP-M's are the only current Athlon XPs that are unlocked. That is also what makes them so good B).

Well said. Just so you "Intel Guys" know... we are not knocking Intel. We are just simply trying to say that there is no reason to knock AMD!
I wasn't trying to knock AMD in any way, though I know it comes off that way.  It's just my opinion from using AMD and Intel, that I find intel to be a more reliable item.  The cost is a little more, but, I am willing to pay more if I get the reliability I need, which I honestly couldn't get from AMD.  It might have been my fault, I don't know.  But, I just wasn't getting reliability from it..  I guess I was just another AMD statistic :o

But, I do like AMD 64bits, the Athlon XP (not that much, but I do like it for it's usage) :o leworthy :o, and the mobile unit.

#58 Folgers

Folgers

formerly Douglas Buis

• Members
  • 10,763 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:55 PM

*holds his head* OUCH  This is getting confusing...

#59 Mul.

Mul.

Contributor\First Class Member\Hardware Guru

• 15,362 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 03:02 PM

stop contradicting yourself *uses douglas buis's hand to punch himself*

:D

sorry i had to do that. A similar thing was on the simpsons :o

#60 jonf

jonf

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 03:08 PM

22 years professional software developer
8 years ISP owner
I've got enough credentials to fill a library and most people pay me quite handsomly for my advise.

Believe me, I am not just making assumptions :D