45 replies to this topic

#41 CoffeeBreakPro

CoffeeBreakPro

Contributor\Mod-at-Large\Hardware Guru

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:14 PM

Jon, are you feeling the pressure up there in the #1 spot?

Coffee

#42 Jon

Jon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:27 PM

CoffeeBreakPro, on Mar 1 2006, 09:14 PM, said:

Jon, are you feeling the pressure up there in the #1 spot?

Coffee
Actually I'm surprised to still be there - I figured you'd have caught up by now. :D :D

If it gets a little tighter I'll have to figure out how to get some more computers online - I don't have much that can compete with your monster rig! :)

#43 CoffeeBreakPro

CoffeeBreakPro

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:04 PM

You sure jumped right out there and took a big lead. I put a fourth machine running Xandros Linux on two days ago then shut them all down yesterday. It got to 90 degrees here and those four PCs were turning my place into a sauna lol. I don't think I'll be catching up anytime soon, although I did just recieve a shipment from ZipZoomFly today to complete out two more Linux boxes.... I wonder if I could catch you with 6 PCs and I wonder what my light bill would look like?  :D

Coffee

#44 king-air

king-air

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:15 PM

1400/20000  :D this is going to take for ever!

#45 Jon

Jon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:15 PM

lol, 6 PCs would do it alright.  I'm not sure what it's going to be like here in the summer - I have a hard enough time keeping the room cool without 2 computers running 100% CPU load all the time. :D

Power usage can't be that bad can it?  If I remember correctly a Athlon XP 2500+ is 60W at 100% CPU load.

#46 CoffeeBreakPro

CoffeeBreakPro

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:27 PM

I do turn off the monitors so your right, its about like leaving a few lights on 24/7, but the combined thermal output is pretty high and causes the AC to kick on more frequently. No way I'm doing water cooling on that many machines. In the end I'll only have two or three anyway, a couple of the ones I'm building up now I am giving away to a couple folks that otherwise couldn't afford to buy a PC and one is going out as a loaner. Might build up a couple el-cheapo Semprons or Pentium Ds except the power consuption is pretty high on the Pentiums.

Coffee