Marshall Carter

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

Kodiak's Room-mate, on Apr 11 2006, 06:05 PM, said:

CoffeeBreakPro, on Apr 11 2006, 04:08 PM, said:

One of you just received 5 days Mod Review Status, the rest of you need to stay on topic or do not post.

Thanks

Coffee
what's that?
That's where your posts are reviewed by a moderator before anyone else can view them.

#82 FL050

FL050

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:38 PM

AlfFS2004, on Apr 10 2006, 10:20 PM, said:

Dude.... wth.... What? Do you think you ARE going to start with UPS/FEDEX 747 right off the bat....?

About the one year programs..

Embry-Riddle offers the same program for individuals with a Bachelors.......
ATP does the same thing, but for about 40K cheaper.....

Remember...Half the crap they teach you about planes I already know. Why? Because I am AeroSpace Engineer (Student Senior Year). I am the one who build those flight envolopes and graphs pilots look at and I can actually make more sence out of them.... Thats what Aerospace Engineers DO....

Trainning is all I need and care about and trainning for 5 hrs a day its differente that those self paced 1 hr a day....

Alex
Sorry to let you know this, but an AeroSpace Degree won't help you fly a plane better than John Doe sitting next to you.  Sure it will come in handy when you need to do pre-flight looking up your weight and balance and loading limits, but when it comes to putting you in the left seat at 3,000 feet; a degree means absolutely nothing.

FYI, I'm not comparing this to a self-paced program.

#83 C172pilot

C172pilot

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:30 AM

wow.. there are some REDICULOUS things here!!!

For starters.. a flight school is only as good as you make it! Secondly, the best flight school is the one that meets your needs.

I agree with Citationpilot, ERAU is just a name with rich kids.. Sure they have a billion planes.. But all they guarentee is a job interview.. If you mess up, well that's your fault.

UD is one of the top 5 flight programs in the nation. I think the order goes:
ERAU
UND
Spartan
UD
something else.. (I'll ask my professor)

MY best advice to you.. get your butt to these FBO's and try them out.. Don't waste your time looking at pictures... YOu look at the Flyers brochure, it looks like JUNK! You go there and you're like, "DANG!!!"

Enough said. Time for a test and an X/c later

#84 blake1023

blake1023

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:27 AM

I'm not rich but I go to Riddle.  There's something called scholarships, if your smart u don't pay as much....

#85 89-LX

89-LX

Gallery Manager

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:48 AM

C172pilot, on Apr 12 2006, 09:30 AM, said:

For starters.. a flight school is only as good as you make it! Secondly, the best flight school is the one that meets your needs.

I agree with Citationpilot, ERAU is just a name with rich kids.. Sure they have a billion planes.. But all they guarentee is a job interview.. If you mess up, well that's your fault.

ERAU
UND
Spartan
UD

MY best advice to you.. get your butt to these FBO's and try them out.. Don't waste your time looking at pictures... YOu look at the Flyers brochure, it looks like JUNK! You go there and you're like, "DANG!!!"

Western Michigan is in the top 3.

#86 citationpilot

citationpilot

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:44 PM

blake1023, on Apr 12 2006, 10:27 AM, said:

I'm not rich but I go to Riddle.  There's something called scholarships, if your smart u don't pay as much....
Maybe, but those scholarships would take you farther at other schools with reasonable rates. Going to Riddle is like owning a warbird, there's no real way to justify it, you do it because you want to.

#87 Kodiak

Kodiak

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:34 PM

I have to wake up at 5 am to go fly.  I have to wake up at 4am to go to work.  It costs too much.  Im thousands of miles away from home.  Im broke.  There is paperwork to deal with.  I have some classes that I really don't like.  And I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

#88 C172pilot

C172pilot

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:04 PM

89-LX, on Apr 12 2006, 10:48 AM, said:

C172pilot, on Apr 12 2006, 09:30 AM, said:

ERAU
UND
Spartan
UD

Western Michigan is in the top 3.
I knew it!! So, put UD @ 5th place then!

#89 C172pilot

C172pilot

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:06 PM

blake1023, on Apr 12 2006, 10:27 AM, said:

Who said I wasn't smart?  :D

Kind of funny.. I got $5,000 from UD and I'm getting another 4 for next year.. For each semester I stay on the Deans list I receive another 1-2 grand.. Not bad if ya ask me!

#90 citationpilot

citationpilot

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:39 PM

Kodiak, on Apr 12 2006, 03:34 PM, said:

I have to wake up at 5 am to go fly.  I have to wake up at 4am to go to work.  It costs too much.  Im thousands of miles away from home.  Im broke.  There is paperwork to deal with.  I have some classes that I really don't like.  And I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
If that's what you like great. It's exactly what a career in aviation is like so you'll be ready (early mornings, far from home, broke, long classes, and paper work). Personally that's not the way I want to spend my college life. To each his own though.

Alex.

#91 Pavehawk

Pavehawk

Contributor\Download Manager

• Download Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:20 PM

Picking the college thats right for you has a lot to do with cost as well.  I go to Dowling College.  Heck its not the best school out there (even though I think it is) but it will get me the ratings I need.  Personally, its not all about where you got the training from, its how you express yourself and the training you received.  Thats whats gonna get you the job.  But the reason I picked Dowling is because its well, 5 minutes from my house!  By not dorming I'm saving about 12,000 a year!  That 12K a year goes straight to flying.  Wouldn't of been able to pursue my career path if it wasn't for Dowling being so close.  Just my 2 cents!

Edited by Pavehawk, 12 April 2006 - 09:24 PM.