90 replies to this topic

#1 AlfaSIM-OCX

AlfaSIM-OCX

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:06 PM

I want to find out the best school for flight trainning? I was thinking about going to Spartan in Tulsa. Tulsa is a great city known for Aerospace. I could work as an engineer while I get my fligh training done. If there are any other better schools let me know...Any major university or whatever there is...

Alex

Edited by AlfFS2004, 05 April 2006 - 04:06 PM.

#2 Martel

Martel

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:13 PM

Do you have an Engineering Degree?

#3 AlfaSIM-OCX

AlfaSIM-OCX

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:24 PM

Pretty soon, pretty soon..... BSME/AE.... I Have a year left...

Alex

#4 B777_300ER

B777_300ER

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:49 PM

It quite expensive :D So be pepared :D

#5 AlfaSIM-OCX

AlfaSIM-OCX

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:13 PM

About 40k USD.... Which is not bad at all....

Alex

#6 Martel

Martel

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:18 PM

AlfFS2004, on Apr 5 2006, 05:24 PM, said:

Pretty soon, pretty soon..... BSME/AE.... I Have a year left...

Alex
Goood.
There is no "best school".  You have to find the "best for 'you' school".
Spartan looks mighty attractive.

If you can get an Eng. job while attending Spartan, then thats great.

#7 AlfaSIM-OCX

AlfaSIM-OCX

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:37 PM

I talked to Embri-Riddle and they stink... They have their nose too high up or something and they are way too expensive... They want 80K for less than a year of schooling. And the said we Guarranty you a job... No once can guarranty a job (With MKDs maybe). So I knew it was BS from the get go. Also they do a screen test for the past 10 years to see even if a single summons has been issued. They said even if you were not found guilty in court getting a summons counts as a bad behaviour... wth.... Cant even get a summons for expired tags (common one for people as they ussually don't look at the tags).

When I talked to Spartan, I was set. They were very nice and polite. They gave me tons of info which can be believed. They said; we can set you up with the employer and it goes from there. As a pilot they don't know how good I am going to be and that is the main thing with employers.... They also said that as an Alumnus if I ever needed help getting another job they would help me set up interviews with employers. I will have a BS when I go there so alot of the Gen. Ed. classes are taken care off.... That means less classes less money. Their flight training is offered as an associates and it cost around 50K or so...

Alex

#8 tikiman06

tikiman06

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:45 PM

Sounds good man. No more Norfolk for you...lucky! Btw, I cant remember if I asked this before, but are you at ODU right now?

#9 AlfaSIM-OCX

AlfaSIM-OCX

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:16 PM

Yeah.... Old Dirty...

Alex

#10 Marshall Carter

Marshall Carter

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:20 PM

AlfFS2004, on Apr 5 2006, 01:37 PM, said:

I talked to Embri-Riddle and they stink...
If Embry Riddle stinks so bad, then why are 1 in 4 pilots trained there? Maybe you have a personal grudge against them for another reason?  :D

#11 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:37 PM

There are downsides of training with very popular schools.

Ever considered the flexibility of booking an aircraft, persay? Even my flying school -- not exactly the best, and far from being the busiest -- gets clients from other more popular schools because they just can't provide the flexibility that students desire.

#12 AlfaSIM-OCX

AlfaSIM-OCX

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:38 PM

Marshall Carter, on Apr 5 2006, 07:20 PM, said:

If Embry Riddle stinks so bad, then why are 1 in 4 pilots trained there? Maybe you have a personal grudge against them for another reason?  :D
Any school that treats me as a number when I am simply getting some info I simply won't go to it or like it. Thats the main reason I didn't go to VT (Virginia Tech).  

WOW 1 out of 4... Considering FACT that there aren't many major US commercial flight schools... Spartan has a great rep as far as I know.......

Alex

#13 Marshall Carter

Marshall Carter

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:40 PM

AlfFS2004, on Apr 5 2006, 04:38 PM, said:

Marshall Carter, on Apr 5 2006, 07:20 PM, said:

Any school that treats me as a number when I am simply getting some info I simply won't go to it or like it. Thats the main reason I didn't go to VT (Virginia Tech).  

WOW 1 out of 4... Considering FACT that there aren't many major US commercial flight schools... Spartan has a great rep as far as I know.......

Alex
All colleges assign you a number!  :D

#14 AlfaSIM-OCX

AlfaSIM-OCX

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:43 PM

Yeah when I am going to the college, not when I am interested about the school and about to spend 80K USD....

Alex

#15 Marshall Carter

Marshall Carter

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:51 PM

AlfFS2004, on Apr 5 2006, 05:43 PM, said:

Yeah when I am going to the college, not when I am interested about the school and about to spend 80K USD....

Alex
I've been assigned a number just because I took the PSAT. I'm only 17.

#16 Trent.

Trent.

formerly Esuvee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,479 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:00 PM

I've got nothing against Embry Riddle...but they are just too book friendly. I've talked to people who have went there, and people who are currently enrolled; it just doesn't sound like a school that teaches you the hands on training rather than strictly from books.

I myself have chosen to go to the Citadel in South Carolina. Majoring in Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering, they also offer flight school for students enrolling into the Air Force after school is done with. Looking into this, i'll be a military pilot for some long time, but it will only help me gian experience and hours. :D

#17 AlfaSIM-OCX

AlfaSIM-OCX

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:19 AM

You can get hours anywhere anytime (working for the school as a flight trainer usually does the trick).... I am not an USA citizen yet so the military is not in the pic until I do so.... Maybe if I become a citizen by the end of my senior year. INS Naturalization takes a while... I won't go as enlisted as I have will have a BSME/AE pretty soon....

Alex

Edited by AlfFS2004, 06 April 2006 - 12:20 AM.

#18 Kodiak

Kodiak

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:25 PM

Normally I don't tend to voice my opinion on these kinds of things, it tends to start flame wars.  But I have been seeing some things said about Riddle here that are simply not true.  The first thing I read about ERAU here was that they assign you a number.  This is true but it is the same with every school in the country, including most high schools.  Also most of the people there know each other by name, it's a very close community among the flight students and instructors.  When the dean of the entire flight department knows me on a first name basis I don't feel like I'm a number.  Also as far as books are concerned, I almost NEVER use books in my Aeronautical Science classes.  Examples include my Turbine operations class, aerodynamics class, multi engine ground school, and all my meteorology classes.  The classes are small (under 30) and are mostly taught by retired heavily experienced pilots.  The quality of the aircraft in the Embry Riddle fleet is second to none, within a year our entire Cessna fleet will consists of purely glass panels, with all aircraft manufactured within the last 4 years.  The instructors here are all top notch instructors who care about how their students are progressing as well as their personal lives.  On the off chance that you get an instructor that you can not get along with you can request a different one from an instructor pool bigger than that of any other aeronautical college.  I won't lie and tell you that Riddle is cheap, it isn't.  But when I talked to a former chief hiring office for South West airlines and he told me that he hired every Riddle Pilot that ever applied I realized I was in the right place.  Riddle has gotten something of a bad name as a flight school but I am here to tell you that ERAU Prescott is probably the best flight school in the entire country.  

*Note I have been attending ERAU in Prescott AZ for 2 years and have loved every moment of it.

#19 yuhuda

yuhuda

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:32 PM

well i got accepted to embry-riddle (daytona) not too long ago but im not going. i heard that you cant actually fly a real plane until your sophmore year.
Im having a good feeling about delta airline academy. im going there after i get my college degree. something to fall back on if the airlines try 2 push me away.

#20 Kodiak

Kodiak

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:04 PM

yuhuda, on Apr 6 2006, 09:32 PM, said:

i heard that you cant actually fly a real plane until your sophmore year.
My freshman year started on a tuesday, I met my instructor on Wednesday.  I flew on Firday, Sunday and Monday.