90 replies to this topic

#21 FL050

FL050

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:17 PM

I, personally, would never go to Embry-Riddle.  Their costs are way to expensive for anything rational when you can go to a university and get the same quality degree just to simply say you went to Embry-Riddle, which when you get to airlines will have no more weight than a university degree with someone who has their ratings and requirements.

I go to Oklahoma State University which is about 50 miles from Riverside, where Spartan is based.  My friend just finished his Airframe and Powerplant ratings there.  I don't know anyone that goes there so I can't really say.  About 90% of the school is Japanese/Chinese because of the contract they had with the Chinese Government which they just lost.  Riverside Airport itself will teach you a lot about flying around that airspace, being about 10 miles away from Tulsa Intl.  Riverside Airport is ranked about #20 in busiest airport in the United States and its mainly all from GA.  I myself have been there once but I've been to TUL a lot more than that.  I just took my Instrument Checkride with a guy at Riverside/Spartan and he was a total douche - and maybe its because I am from OSU rather than Spartan - I've heard guys say that he is an easy checkairmen; granted they go to Spartan.

If you have anymore questions let me know.

#22 AlfaSIM-OCX

AlfaSIM-OCX

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:24 PM

Kodiak, on Apr 6 2006, 09:25 PM, said:

Normally I don't tend to voice my opinion on these kinds of things, it tends to start flame wars.  But I have been seeing some things said about Riddle here that are simply not true.  The first thing I read about ERAU here was that they assign you a number.  This is true but it is the same with every school in the country, including most high schools.  Also most of the people there know each other by name, it's a very close community among the flight students and instructors.  When the dean of the entire flight department knows me on a first name basis I don't feel like I'm a number.  Also as far as books are concerned, I almost NEVER use books in my Aeronautical Science classes.  Examples include my Turbine operations class, aerodynamics class, multi engine ground school, and all my meteorology classes.  The classes are small (under 30) and are mostly taught by retired heavily experienced pilots.  The quality of the aircraft in the Embry Riddle fleet is second to none, within a year our entire Cessna fleet will consists of purely glass panels, with all aircraft manufactured within the last 4 years.  The instructors here are all top notch instructors who care about how their students are progressing as well as their personal lives.  On the off chance that you get an instructor that you can not get along with you can request a different one from an instructor pool bigger than that of any other aeronautical college.  I won't lie and tell you that Riddle is cheap, it isn't.  But when I talked to a former chief hiring office for South West airlines and he told me that he hired every Riddle Pilot that ever applied I realized I was in the right place.  Riddle has gotten something of a bad name as a flight school but I am here to tell you that ERAU Prescott is probably the best flight school in the entire country.  

*Note I have been attending ERAU in Prescott AZ for 2 years and have loved every moment of it.
Good for you, but you missed my point about the number thing... I am in a school and I have a number. When I am NOT going to the school and I am trying to obtain info from the school and about to make a decission they better be nice to me. ERAU wasnt nice to me so I simply won't pay the money....

Scenerio. I have a BSME/AE and I got my training and hours from a "less Qualified" school than ERAU.... Would the hire me? Yes they will and I do not only have the training as a pilot. I have a ###### BSME/AE....

Once again a school that promess a job is full of crap.... ERAU does that...

Alex

#23 Kodiak

Kodiak

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:42 PM

AlfFS2004, on Apr 7 2006, 01:24 PM, said:

Would the hire me? Yes they will and I do not only have the training as a pilot. I have a ###### BSME/AE....

Once again a school that promess a job is full of crap.... ERAU does that...
The answer to that first question is...maybe.  Just because you have the ratings, hours, and an AE deegree does not ensure a job in an airline.  Thoes are just the basic requirments.  Your interviews, how you present yourself and your background counts for  ten times as much as your ratings and time.  ERAU is a name that carries a lot of weight with hiring officals, they know that if you went through riddle you were trained right and you have had a quality education in addation to the best flight traning in the world (Ok, thats arguable but I have School pride, Sue Me).  

And I have NEVER heard that ERAU promises you a job.  Chances are that if you cmplete the flight program up through your CFII then you could be hired on as a Riddle instructor if you wanted too.

Anyway, good luck with wherever your going.  Flight traning can be though no matter where you are, just remember what you get to fly once it's all over.     :D

#24 AlfaSIM-OCX

AlfaSIM-OCX

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:16 PM

Well when I contated them they told me so much BS and thats the main reason I think they are BS and extremely overpriced. I was not impressed...

PS Check out Spartan's employer connections list.....

Alex

#25 blake1023

blake1023

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:04 PM

I'm also a Riddle student, and I can tell u that everything Kodiak said is true. The way I look at flight training is, it doesn't really matter where u go. I don't care if u go to Riddle or Joe Blow flight school, it's all expensive. So just call the bank now, and face the fact no matter what u'll be in debt, for life, regardless of where u go! Even RAA (Regional Airline Academy) offers """"fixed Price"""" of $60,000. And that's given u do everything right the first time. I know there are pilots that r currently in training and will tell u. You'll screw up along the way, or u'll have to redo something. So how can u even begin to put a price on flight training? And if u add a college degree your talkin $100,000 of debt.

#26 citationpilot

citationpilot

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:59 PM

Kodiak, on Apr 7 2006, 01:42 PM, said:

ERAU is a name that carries a lot of weight with hiring officals, they know that if you went through riddle you were trained right and you have had a quality education in addation to the best flight traning in the world (Ok, thats arguable but I have School pride, Sue Me).
That's the bull the admission department tries to put in the head of potential students. No one cares if you went to Riddle in the real world. It's just another degree and another form of flight training it doesn't matter if you got it at Riddle or another four year college. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Riddle, but there is nothing special about it either, it's just another college. I love the Daytona area and gave riddle a lot of consideration, but for the money I didn't think it was worth it. In my opinion ATP Flyer's is the best flight school around.

Alex.

#27 AlfaSIM-OCX

AlfaSIM-OCX

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:08 PM

ATP WHAT?

Alex

#28 citationpilot

citationpilot

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:13 PM

http://www.atpflightschool.com/

#29 AlfaSIM-OCX

AlfaSIM-OCX

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:19 PM

Thats alot of cash..... Spartan is less than that.....

Heck I can get my PPL for 4K USD....

Alex

Edited by AlfFS2004, 07 April 2006 - 05:45 PM.

#30 Marshall Carter

Marshall Carter

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:23 PM

AlfFS2004, on Apr 7 2006, 01:19 PM, said:

Alex
Yeah, just your PPL. Not a degree.

#31 citationpilot

citationpilot

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:25 PM

AlfFS2004, on Apr 7 2006, 05:19 PM, said:

Alex
You can get everything from your PPL through your CFIIME for $45k at ATP which includes 190 hours of multi time. That is nearly 20k less than any other fast track program I've seen, not to mention you'll be flying much nicer airplanes (Spartan still uses 152s and Gutlesses).

Alex.

#32 AlfaSIM-OCX

AlfaSIM-OCX

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:12 PM

I have to get my NATURALIZATION.......... I think once I get that I will be going to ATP... I just called them and the whole thing seems very nice....

Alex

#33 blake1023

blake1023

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:35 PM

PPL will cost atleast 6k. i know because i have my PPL. My Ratings: Airplane Single Engine Land and Airplane Multi Engine Land and Im half way through Instrument. Once again, how can u put a price on flight Training???

#34 AlfaSIM-OCX

AlfaSIM-OCX

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 01:53 PM

I can get my PPL for 4K in KSHD if I buy the whole bock for 40hrs.....

Once again... If I have not screwed up anything in COLLEGE... How am I going to screw up something I love so much...? It doesnt take alot to fly.... Just good hand eye coord and I have plenty of that....

Alex

Edited by AlfFS2004, 08 April 2006 - 02:04 PM.

#35 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:26 PM

40 hours is the exact minimum, everybody will quote you on that naturally, because it's the lowest price and most appealing.

You're more likely to require 60 hours, the national average.

#36 AlfaSIM-OCX

AlfaSIM-OCX

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:16 PM

Actually 35 is the minimun....

What do you know what I am more likely to requre or not?

I need 85Hrs for ATP schools so I am going to do 85hrs with them. I can do a PPL in 30hrs if I flew everyday... I have flown them C172s before and its not rocket science....

Alex

#37 Kodiak

Kodiak

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:11 PM

AlfFS2004, on Apr 8 2006, 03:16 PM, said:

I need 85Hrs for ATP schools so I am going to do 85hrs with them. I can do a PPL in 30hrs if I flew everyday... I have flown them C172s before and its not rocket science....

Alex
But you WON'T fly every day.  There's this little thing called weather.... you can get sick, your instructor won't be able to schedule you every day ect ect.  Try to find one person in the last 20 years who have gotten their PPL in under 45 hours.  

Flying 172's is not a rocket science your right.  But there is this little book called the PTS.  landing within 200 feet of a specific point on the runway (if you land before it you automatically fail) three times in a row can be somewaht difficult.  I seriously doubt that you will be able to do your entire ppl in 35, or 40 (too lazy to break out the far/aim).

#38 Kodiak's Room-mate

Kodiak's Room-mate

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:18 PM

Kodiak, on Apr 6 2006, 09:25 PM, said:

Normally I don't tend to voice my opinion on these kinds of things, it tends to start flame wars.  But I have been seeing some things said about Riddle here that are simply not true.  The first thing I read about ERAU here was that they assign you a number.  This is true but it is the same with every school in the country, including most high schools.  Also most of the people there know each other by name, it's a very close community among the flight students and instructors.  When the dean of the entire flight department knows me on a first name basis I don't feel like I'm a number.  Also as far as books are concerned, I almost NEVER use books in my Aeronautical Science classes.  Examples include my Turbine operations class, aerodynamics class, multi engine ground school, and all my meteorology classes.  The classes are small (under 30) and are mostly taught by retired heavily experienced pilots.  The quality of the aircraft in the Embry Riddle fleet is second to none, within a year our entire Cessna fleet will consists of purely glass panels, with all aircraft manufactured within the last 4 years.  The instructors here are all top notch instructors who care about how their students are progressing as well as their personal lives.  On the off chance that you get an instructor that you can not get along with you can request a different one from an instructor pool bigger than that of any other aeronautical college.  I won't lie and tell you that Riddle is cheap, it isn't.  But when I talked to a former chief hiring office for South West airlines and he told me that he hired every Riddle Pilot that ever applied I realized I was in the right place.  Riddle has gotten something of a bad name as a flight school but I am here to tell you that ERAU Prescott is probably the best flight school in the entire country.  

*Note I have been attending ERAU in Prescott AZ for 2 years and have loved every moment of it.
Not all he said is true I'm Kodiak's (I can't remember his name I just call him 134657) room mate and he spends about 8 hours a day reading his textbooks. He tells me that starting his junior year they'll let him take a look at the planes and maybe fly them by senior year.  However he was right about the instructors I'm told that 2 of his instructors were crop dusters for over 2 years (until they wrecked their planes).

#39 Kodiak

Kodiak

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:21 PM

Can some moderator please delete the post above.  (Its an attempt by my roomate to get back on me for walking in on him and his GF).  In addition its not true......

#40 AlfaSIM-OCX

AlfaSIM-OCX

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:55 PM

Thats funny....

Alex