71 replies to this topic

#1 GuttahMastah

GuttahMastah

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:04 PM

I just need to know because my 6600 doesn't seem to be working right, so I may need a new video card  :lol:

#2 GuttahMastah

GuttahMastah

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:22 PM

Posted Image

#3 Tamiami Pilot

Tamiami Pilot

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:25 PM

SPAM.

AGP sucks. Invest in a PCI-E mobo.

#4 ZaurisLJ25

ZaurisLJ25

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:35 PM

Tamiami Pilot, on Dec 17 2006, 09:25 PM, said:

SPAM.

+1.......

AGP is not good at all with today's gaming.........

a PCI-e videocard is what you should plan to buy. but before you do that, you need to buy a new mobo or a whole new system :lol:

#5 diluted

diluted

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:37 PM

SPAM.

And you're contributing to the spam with a completely worthless post.

Anyway I found this page for you, the list on that page was compiled 2 months ago but it should still be pretty current. The 7800GS seems like the best card.

http://compreviews.a...tp/AGPVideo.htm

Edited by diluted, 17 December 2006 - 09:38 PM.

#6 kewlceo

kewlceo

Download Manager\Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:41 PM

SPAM = Tamiami Pilot and ZaurisLJ25's posts. If you cannot post constructive advice, then STAY OUT of the tech forum.

Donovan: I'm not sure what your budget is, but the XFX 7600GT 256MB AGP card is nice. Post your budget and we'll try to help.

Edited by kewlceo, 17 December 2006 - 09:42 PM.

#7 Tamiami Pilot

Tamiami Pilot

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:58 PM

kewlceo, on Dec 17 2006, 09:41 PM, said:

SPAM = Tamiami Pilot and ZaurisLJ25's posts. If you cannot post constructive advice, then STAY OUT of the tech forum.
I wasn't reffering to the topic as spam. I was reffering to bumping the thread 20 minutes after you post it.

And AGP is obsolete. ######, I bought a new PC that has an nVidia 6600 512 PCI-E about 2 months ago. And look now, nVidia introduced the 8800. Your better off spending a few extra bucks on a PCI-E card, and mobo. It helps in the long run. Seriously, come 2007 do you really think AGP support would even exist? No !

#8 ZaurisLJ25

ZaurisLJ25

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:04 PM

i knew this clown was going come here and say something "smart"....... :lol:

and then hes talking about being helpful..... u were never helpful to me..... :P

donovan,  if you really want to make a good investment, follow my advice...... trust me, I learned it the hard way and it was a waste of money :lol:

Edited by ZaurisLJ25, 17 December 2006 - 10:06 PM.

#9 Bill

Bill

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:53 PM

It's spam because you did nothing for him. He didn't ask for suggestions for any graphics cards, he asked for suggestions for an AGP graphics card. He obviously knows AGP is outdated and that PCI-E is the standard or he wouldn't have put the "AGP" in the title.

7600GS
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150166

7800GS
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814143046

X850GTO - Pretty old, but it's still an alright card depending on your budget.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102065

I'd say those are your best bet.

Edited by g4cytheclown, 17 December 2006 - 11:01 PM.

#10 biello

biello

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:54 PM

Donovan: I'm not sure what your budget is, but the XFX 7600GT 256MB AGP card is nice. Post your budget and we'll try to help.
how much does this card run you?

#11 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:36 PM

AGP is obselete yet I run it there are still AGP cards made up to even the highest cards I think so it shouldn't be hard finding a nice AGP card.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150210

thats the best AGP card I can find all the other geforce AGP core clocks have 400MHZ but the one in the link has 580MHZ core clock speed which is very finne if u ask me it also has GDDR3 the only draw back is that u can get a slightly better of the samme exact card for about 60 dollars less as a PCI-express card.

-AmericanAirFan

#12 GuttahMastah

GuttahMastah

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:37 PM

My budget is $300 :lol:

#13 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:38 PM

Donovan., on Dec 17 2006, 11:37 PM, said:

My budget is $300 :lol:
Then the one I linked you too is probably your best bet/buy right there my friend :lol:

#14 Chaos81

Chaos81

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:42 AM

$300 to spend, sounds like a X1950 PRO is right up your alley. You might be able to find one online someplace, and if you can't, check Best Buy. I know they still carry them.

ZaurisLJ25, on Dec 17 2006, 08:35 PM, said:

It isn't? Care to explain why you think that.

#15 RoniisH

RoniisH

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:05 AM

Tamiami Pilot, on Dec 18 2006, 04:58 AM, said:

Seriously, come 2007 do you really think AGP support would even exist? No !
YES, considering many people are still on AGP so there will still be DX10 AGP cards.

#16 Mul.

Mul.

Contributor\First Class Member\Hardware Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,362 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:27 AM

Tamiami Pilot, on Dec 18 2006, 02:58 AM, said:

I wasn't reffering to the topic as spam. I was reffering to bumping the thread 20 minutes after you post it.

And AGP is obsolete. ######, I bought a new PC that has an nVidia 6600 512 PCI-E about 2 months ago. And look now, nVidia introduced the 8800. Your better off spending a few extra bucks on a PCI-E card, and mobo. It helps in the long run. Seriously, come 2007 do you really think AGP support would even exist? No !
AGP is being replaced by PCI-Express 16x, and that's a fact. But Tamiami Pilot, your mentality to spend now and go PCI-e is fundamentally incorrect. Just a few things to keep in mind before you go AGP to PCI-e ranting...

Do you know what his exact system specs are? For all you know upgrading to PCI-e will require a new motherboard, new cpu, new ATX 2.0 powersupply unit and perhaps new ram and operating system. And then on top of that a graphics card that runs of PCI-e. Take an Athlon XP or Pentium 4 Socket 478 system for example. To go PCI-e they need to bin their CPU and board, then find money for a new graphics card!
Massive expense there. Not everyone has money shooting out their rear ends.

As a matter of fact, for some systems it makes no sense to upgrade to PCI-e as there are well priced AGP cards out there that are well suited to their systems.

If you are going PCI-e then presumably that means you're looking at graphics cards quicker than those within AGP offerings. The fastest AGP card is the Radeon X1950 Pro which is about the speed of a 7900GT. What use is a card quicker than that with a budget system? We're going back to the whole money situation aren't we?

I bought a new PC that has an nVidia 6600 512 PCI-E about 2 months ago. And look now, nVidia introduced the 8800.

I'm not really sure what you're implying there. The GeForce 6600 512mb was a low end card when you bought it and was already a generation and a half old, nor was it even a top end card when it was released. So the tech leaps aren't exactly as big as you're suggesting...

There are still plenty of users on AGP and for that reason ATi and nVidia appear to continue releasing AGP cards (albeit nowhere near as many).

----------------------------------------------------

Moving back on topic.

What are the rest of your system specs? I'd be edging towards:

XFX 7600GT 256mb GDDR3 $189 - 6800 Ultra beating performance and should be a nice jump from your 6600.

It's really dependant on your current system specifications though.

Mul

Edited by mul, 18 December 2006 - 07:48 AM.

#17 ZaurisLJ25

ZaurisLJ25

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:35 AM

Chaos81, on Dec 18 2006, 12:42 AM, said:

ok, AGP is not as obsolete as PCI, but is getting there...... in how long???... i don't know but id say its probably half way...

you can still use AGP but if you want to enjoy your games the way they are soppuse to be, then get a faster slot such a PCI-e slot.....

the thing is that he could just save a little' more money and wait a little longer so he could probably make a good investement that would last longer...... but if you don't want to change your mobo or your system, then i recommend the videocard the americanairfan posted :lol:

Edited by ZaurisLJ25, 18 December 2006 - 07:39 AM.

#18 Jet_A_FuelGuy

Jet_A_FuelGuy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:17 AM

Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.79GHz (overclocked to 2.8GHz)
Intel 82865G Graphics Controller
250W PSU
1GB RAM

This system won't do any good for FSX.

If you only play fs9 and simply need to replace the 6600:

A cheap AGP 7300GT which is around the same speed as a Vanilla 6600 because fs9 is simply a CPU hog and it would hold back a 7600GS anyway.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150198

If you play other new games, a more powerful 7600GT would give your system another year of life.

If you really really want to play FSX, then a new system would be in order.

#19 AlfaSIM-OCX

AlfaSIM-OCX

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:43 AM

ZaurisLJ25, on Dec 18 2006, 07:35 AM, said:

Chaos81, on Dec 18 2006, 12:42 AM, said:

ok, AGP is not as obsolete as PCI, but is getting there...... in how long???... i don't know but id say its probably half way...

you can still use AGP but if you want to enjoy your games the way they are soppuse to be, then get a faster slot such a PCI-e slot.....

the thing is that he could just save a little' more money and wait a little longer so he could probably make a good investement that would last longer...... but if you don't want to change your mobo or your system, then i recommend the videocard the americanairfan posted :lol:
You ought to be the biggest uneducated individual around here. Do you even know that the AGP 8X bandwidth has not been reached yet? PCi-E has a greater bandwidth, but its not even used? I run an AGP set up and its probably faster than what ever PCI-E you have. I still enjoy all the games with my AGP. HL2 E1 run at high ressolutions and full settings just fine on my machine. I am going to get the X1950Pro just bacause its 250 USD for the Sapphire 512MB one. Thats much less than going to a new socket (I am on 478/479 with DDR), new DDR2 (Have you seen the prices lately), new mobo, new CPU, new GPU, etc. That is going to cost me around 600-1000 USD. If you don't know your stuff, simply don't post.

Alex

#20 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:50 AM

mul, on Dec 18 2006, 07:27 AM, said:

Tamiami Pilot, on Dec 18 2006, 02:58 AM, said:

AGP is being replaced by PCI-Express 16x, and that's a fact. But Tamiami Pilot, your mentality to spend now and go PCI-e is fundamentally incorrect. Just a few things to keep in mind before you go AGP to PCI-e ranting...

Do you know what his exact system specs are? For all you know upgrading to PCI-e will require a new motherboard, new cpu, new ATX 2.0 powersupply unit and perhaps new ram and operating system. And then on top of that a graphics card that runs of PCI-e. Take an Athlon XP or Pentium 4 Socket 478 system for example. To go PCI-e they need to bin their CPU and board, then find money for a new graphics card!
Massive expense there. Not everyone has money shooting out their rear ends.

As a matter of fact, for some systems it makes no sense to upgrade to PCI-e as there are well priced AGP cards out there that are well suited to their systems.

If you are going PCI-e then presumably that means you're looking at graphics cards quicker than those within AGP offerings. The fastest AGP card is the Radeon X1950 Pro which is about the speed of a 7900GT. What use is a card quicker than that with a budget system? We're going back to the whole money situation aren't we?

I bought a new PC that has an nVidia 6600 512 PCI-E about 2 months ago. And look now, nVidia introduced the 8800.

I'm not really sure what you're implying there. The GeForce 6600 512mb was a low end card when you bought it and was already a generation and a half old, nor was it even a top end card when it was released. So the tech leaps aren't exactly as big as you're suggesting...

There are still plenty of users on AGP and for that reason ATi and nVidia appear to continue releasing AGP cards (albeit nowhere near as many).

----------------------------------------------------

Moving back on topic.

What are the rest of your system specs? I'd be edging towards:

XFX 7600GT 256mb GDDR3 $189 - 6800 Ultra beating performance and should be a nice jump from your 6600.

It's really dependant on your current system specifications though.

Mul
funny you recomended the same card I recomended on the first page great minds think alike  :lol:  :lol: