- - - - -

Your aviation goals

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Poll: Where do you want to end up

Where do you want to end up

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 lambo8

lambo8

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:23 PM

Pattyboy10, on Feb 19 2007, 04:52 PM, said:

lambo8, on Feb 19 2007, 05:48 PM, said:

I would say General for me, I love flying in simulators and when I am flying for real it is awesome. I would rather own my own small plane though, just as a fun thing.

Here is what I was thinking the other day, buy my own plane, something like a C172 and start my own pleasure flight type thing, then when the money starts rolling in I employ a  few other pilots and start a small airline/pleasure flight business.
good luck, but it doesnt really work as easy as that ...
It doesn't? Perhaps I should make another topic about this, don't want to hijack this thread.

My basic ambition in aviation is to be in General Aviation for fun anyway.

#42 npasque

npasque

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:34 PM

would like to fly long haul one day, but wouldn't mind at least a few years of domestic first. however in todays industry its more a case of take what you can get! hence my vote "major airline domestic travel" :lol:

Edited by npasque, 19 February 2007 - 08:35 PM.

#43 Pavehawk

Pavehawk

Contributor\Download Manager

• Download Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:14 PM

scavers, on Feb 18 2007, 10:38 PM, said:

Fractional :lol:
Same here!  Fractional is the way to go.   :angry:

#44 Kentaro

Kentaro

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,959 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:31 PM

International,

I wanna fly to japan and back :lol:

#45 UltimatePilotAce

UltimatePilotAce

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:46 PM

I want to end up in the airlines, it's always been my dream.  I've been considering the military before going to the airlines though, good way to rack some hours up and serve your country.

#46 npasque

npasque

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:43 AM

UltimatePilotAce, on Feb 19 2007, 11:46 PM, said:

I want to end up in the airlines, it's always been my dream.  I've been considering the military before going to the airlines though, good way to rack some hours up and serve your country.
and for you guys, a great way to end up in iraq  :lol:

#47 pieterjan456

pieterjan456

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:48 AM

I want to keep it in general aviation, flying has to stay a hobby for me. As long i have good studys and make enough money i can fly whenever i want

#48 milehigh

milehigh

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:25 AM

Flying for me at the least is a hobby. In the long run i hope to make flying my career, something in the airlines definatly. Saying that, the future is very unclear- especially in the aviation industry and there really are no garantees. For myself perosnaly i cannot see myself doing anything else but flying for a career. I guess at this stage all i can say is..."Watch out Qantas, i am on my way" :lol:

#49 Pattyboy10

Pattyboy10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:16 AM

milehigh, on Feb 20 2007, 08:25 AM, said:

Flying for me at the least is a hobby. In the long run i hope to make flying my career, something in the airlines definatly. Saying that, the future is very unclear- especially in the aviation industry and there really are no garantees. For myself perosnaly i cannot see myself doing anything else but flying for a career. I guess at this stage all i can say is..."Watch out Qantas, i am on my way" :lol:
that's the problem being a pilot... If you are a pilot, your only a pilot and nothing else, if something happens you will be unemployed for a long time ... There is no other job you can do with the pilot licence ...

That's why Im thinking of maybe doing something else in case of, before beginning piloting... Im not sure though as it will keep me more years out of the cockpit of the heavies ..

#50 dolbinau

dolbinau

Download Manager

• Download Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:36 PM

that's the problem being a pilot... If you are a pilot, your only a pilot and nothing else, if something happens you will be unemployed for a long time ... There is no other job you can do with the pilot licence ...

That's why Im thinking of maybe doing something else in case of, before beginning piloting... Im not sure though as it will keep me more years out of the cockpit of the heavies ..

In Australia you can do double Science/Aviation degrees which would fix you up with two careers, It could be one method to have a fallback.

#51 Pattyboy10

Pattyboy10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:19 PM

Yeah the school ill be going to (KLM flight acadamy) has a pilot study + pilot/airline managment... so im thinking about doing both in 1 ... But all I want is just flying so im not sure though... But what if.... thats the thing you always have to think about sadly :lol:

#52 milehigh

milehigh

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:45 PM

Well depending how i go in the last couple of years of college will most likely determine what degree i will shoot for. At this stage i am leaning towards a business associated degree, so that (touch wood) if in 20 years i fail a med i can still fall back on retail management or alike which pays enough to pay the bills.

But again, life is so unclear....theres nothing stopping me from being wrapped around a tree in a burning wreck in the next hour, so life for me  is take it when you get to it pretty much.

#53 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

milehigh, on Feb 20 2007, 08:45 PM, said:

Well depending how i go in the last couple of years of college will most likely determine what degree i will shoot for. At this stage i am leaning towards a business associated degree, so that (touch wood) if in 20 years i fail a med i can still fall back on retail management or alike which pays enough to pay the bills.

But again, life is so unclear....theres nothing stopping me from being wrapped around a tree in a burning wreck in the next hour, so life for me  is take it when you get to it pretty much.
:angry: That's the problem with a career like this :lol:

I'm hoping that I'll be able to fall back on something like accountancy if something bad happened to me :lol:

#54 rabbitweasel

rabbitweasel

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:44 PM

I'm just aiming for my PPL. I want to go into a career in computer engineering but would like to keep aviation as a hobby.

#55 89-LX

89-LX

Gallery Manager

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:54 PM

rabbitweasel, on Feb 20 2007, 10:44 PM, said:

I'm just aiming for my PPL. I want to go into a career in computer engineering but would like to keep aviation as a hobby.
Aim higher then that. Aim for your instrument rating .

#56 UltimatePilotAce

UltimatePilotAce

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:52 PM

npasque, on Feb 20 2007, 01:43 AM, said:

I want to end up in the airlines, it's always been my dream.  I've been considering the military before going to the airlines though, good way to rack some hours up and serve your country.
I didn't ask for your response. :angry:

#57 Pattyboy10

Pattyboy10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:02 AM

UltimatePilotAce, on Feb 21 2007, 12:52 AM, said:

I want to end up in the airlines, it's always been my dream.  I've been considering the military before going to the airlines though, good way to rack some hours up and serve your country.
I didn't ask for your response. :wub:
... killing british ground troops  :angry:

joke  :lol:

#58 npasque

npasque

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:33 AM

UltimatePilotAce, on Feb 20 2007, 11:52 PM, said:

I didn't ask for your response. :angry:
hah suit yourself but everyone else on this planet knows its true :lol:

#59 TND4NOS

TND4NOS

Official Contest Host\Edited Contest Host

• Contest Host
  • 10,918 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:53 AM

Hopefully to fly on a really long flight... longer then 5-6 hours :lol:
And no i would not get bored :angry:

#60 milehigh

milehigh

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:56 AM

Seeing were on the topic of careers, i find this one point very ironic. I have heard of many pilots flying in the majors such as Qantas,United etc and they really hate their job. They started 30 years prior energetic, enthusiastic and just like myself, set on making a career in aviation. It just seems weird to me that people just like myself develop a hate for commercial aviation, something that they dreamt about as kids. All i can say is, "i am happy to take your hate source off you"....