* * * * * 1 votes

MetroAir teams up with BluePrint Simulations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
84 replies to this topic

#1 FlightSimPaints

FlightSimPaints

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

Posted Image

Hi all,

The staff at MetroAir are very excited indeed to announce that they are offering MetroAir pilots yet another special perk!

BluePrint Simulations have kindly offered all MetroAir pilots who have been with the airline for more than 3 months a fully-licensed, customised MetroAir version of their excellent payware scenery for Washington Dulles Intl (KIAD).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The high-quality scenery includes a detailed apron, gates and terminals, as well as customised MetroAir gates and parking ramp for our props. This scenery will no doubt transform your simming experience with MetroAir out of Washington D.C.!

Check out BluePrint's website and take a look at the many other fantastic scenery products they have available:

www.blueprintsimulations.com

And finally a thankyou to Kim who has been liaising with BluePrint and getting us a customised version that will suit the airline's operations.

**IMPORTANT** The distribution of this package is HIGHLY restricted. Do not under any circumstances distribute this scenery package to other users; only eligible MetroAir pilots will be allowed to download it. Any evidence that distribution has taken place will result in an immediate and permanent ban from MetroAir, as well as the incident being reported to BluePrint themselves. MetroAir takes software piracy very seriously.

#2 Don Grange

Don Grange

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

MetroAir is getting excellent now with their commitments to pilots. (not as if they weren't before, they're just unique)

Edited by ScottDiamond, 16 January 2008 - 04:40 PM.

#3 monkeypaw201

monkeypaw201

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

This is pretty impressive.  But first a commercial aircraft and now commercial scenery?  I don't know... It is nice for you guys but I wonder if this maybe is crossing the line from a hobbiest type thing we do for fun to some sort of commercial venture.  The argument could also be made that appears almost like your trying to "buy" pilots.

#4 FlightSimPaints

FlightSimPaints

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:53 PM

Thanks, but with regards to "crossing the line", I beg to differ. We're trying to offer pilots with as much realism as possible; we don't have ads on our site, nothing is particularly "commercial", beyond simply complimenting Overland and BluePrint. It's also not a commercial venture; we're not making any money here.

With over 400 active pilots and 4000 registrations in our first 2 years of operations we don't need to "buy" pilots :lol:

#5 Sun Flight Web

Sun Flight Web

Student Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:02 PM

I have talked to quite a few of Metro Air pilots on Vatsim and they all agree that you are getting to turn into a "big mistake....you are taking the fun out of everyone...... i also agree with monkeypaw about the "buying pilots", just like the last comment you posted here

"With over 400 active pilots and 4000 registrations in our first 2 years of operations we don't need to "buy" pilots"

don't you think you just convened a few people by posting that comment... it explanes how you are bragging. and also there where over 4000 registrations and why is it that only 400 got in. i applied and i didn't get in. i have over 200 hours on vatsim within the last two months. so that also is a big reject of owning a virtual airlines

BOTTOM LINE...... BUYING PILOTS DOESN'T GET YOU ANYWHERE IT JUST MAKES YOU A BIG JERK!!!

Sincerely,
Nick Tyson
Sun Flight Airways
http://sunflightva.com

Edited by Nick Tyson, 16 January 2008 - 06:03 PM.

#6 zrotzel

zrotzel

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

While I agree with some of what you said nick calling some one a big jerk is really not called for even if they are British. LOL joke all the brits calm down.. :lol:  Just remember its ok for us americans to get our balls busted so it goes both ways.  

Anyway back on track, I have noticed a few VA's in the last few months offering free stuff to get pilots and I do agree that it does cross the line, if there is one, and I'm a Metro member.  I was very surprised by this because that is one of the big things Metro was known for, its class.  I think this kind of tarnishes that a little.

But CEO's can and will do as they please, I'll be :lol: if you'll ever see PirateAir offer free stuff to get pilots.  But we are just a little pimple on the gonads of the VA world.  [did i spell "gonads correct?" i never use that word]

#7 VinceN

VinceN

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:16 PM

Speaking as CEO of a Virtual Airline, the comments expressed by Lorenzo is his alone, please do not construe them as a statement from our airline.

Speaking personally, I don't feel Lorenzo was implying that you "Need" to buy pilots.  As you stated Metro's record clearly shows that that is not the case.  However, I am somewhat on the fence on this issue.  On the one hand its awesome that Metro has the connections to make this sort of thing happen.  On the other hand, for those of us who do this as a hobby and don't have connections in the ‘Industry", so to speak, it can be hard for us to match this kind of effort.

I do feel that it puts Metro on a different playing field from the rest of us, for better or worse.  Also I don't feel that the statement that "Metro makes no money" off of this holds true.  There is "value" in what you're offering.  These products SELL for real money.  How many people are downloading this software, and how much would this software otherwise cost?

This is undoubtedly something good for Metro, and I congratulate them for that.  I am not so sure this is good for the community though.  I guess only time will tell that.

#8 monkeypaw201

monkeypaw201

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:26 PM

Agreeing with both Vince and Roger that it does put Metro in a different playing field from other VAs, and that Metro is straying (to say the least..) from the classic Virtual Airline, for better or for worse, we'll find out soon, but it does seem that Metro (agreeing with Roger) had class, and now that they are straying from what most expect in a VA.  

Is Metro becoming a BETA test lab for the software producers?  If so then it is a case of crossing from community to commercial.

#9 Sun Flight Web

Sun Flight Web

Student Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:55 PM

Over all I Think we Can Pretty Much All Agree That This Step May Cost Metro Air.....NOT MONEY lol

If You Disagree Please Say Why!!

#10 kc130flyer

kc130flyer

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

Nick, don't know where are this vitriol is coming from.

Metro has decided to do this and that is fine for them.  Personally, I agree with Lorenzo that the offer does cross the line between a community of enthusiasts and BETA testers for the payware firms.  If people want to be a part of that, great, if not there are plenty of other VA's out there who will continue to stick to the roots of this hobby.

In the meantime, you can tone it down and still get your point across.

Tom

Edited by kc130flyer, 16 January 2008 - 07:11 PM.

#11 Sun Flight Web

Sun Flight Web

Student Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:14 PM

Sorry I Got A Little Out Of Hand There.......... Its There Decision And I Will Just Have To Accept It!!!

Thanks For Calming Me Down

Edited by Nick Tyson, 16 January 2008 - 07:15 PM.

#12 Del Steel

Del Steel

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:39 PM

Well, a mixed bag of opinions. Let me see if I can answer some of the points made.

View PostNick Tyson, on Jan 16 2008, 06:02 PM, said:

I have talked to quite a few of Metro Air pilots on Vatsim and they all agree that you are getting to turn into a "big mistake....you are taking the fun out of everyone......
The comments made by our pilots on our forum appear to differ from what you have been hearing. See for yourself: Click Me

View PostNick Tyson, on Jan 16 2008, 06:02 PM, said:

don't you think you just convened a few people by posting that comment... it explanes how you are bragging. and also there where over 4000 registrations and why is it that only 400 got in. i applied and i didn't get in. i have over 200 hours on vatsim within the last two months. so that also is a big reject of owning a virtual airlines
How does using statistics to counter your claim of "buying" pilots make us look like we are bragging? To answer your question, we have had over 4000 applications since we opened in January 2006. Since then, members have come and gone and at present, we have over 400 active pilots on our rosters. Our acceptance rate for applications is closer to 95% than 10%.

View Postzrotzel, on Jan 16 2008, 06:02 PM, said:

I was very surprised by this because that is one of the big things Metro was known for, its class. I think this kind of tarnishes that a little.
Again, I fail to see how this tarnishes MetroAir's reputation in any way. Bare in mind that these oppertunities are only available to members who have been with MetroAir for more than 3 months. We are simply rewarding the loyalty of our pilots with these fantastic oppertunities by giving them the chance to sample the quality of payware products. Products, I may add, that would be recommended anyway by other members through our forums.

Will you be taking advantage of these rewards Roger?

View Postmonkey[aw201, on Jan 16 2008, 06:02 PM, said:

Agreeing with both Vince and Roger that it does put Metro in a different playing field from other VAs, and that Metro is straying (to say the least..) from the classic Virtual Airline, for better or for worse, we'll find out soon, but it does seem that Metro (agreeing with Roger) had class, and now that they are straying from what most expect in a VA.

Is Metro becoming a BETA test lab for the software producers? If so then it is a case of crossing from community to commercial.
Are we to be faulted for pushing the boundaries and trying to offer our members more realism? Just because we are offering these rewards does not mean that we are departing from the values and structure and integrity we have become synonomous with in the VA community. We are not forcing these products on anyone! Our members have the choice to use them or if they feel like it, to not. We are not forcing them to buy products from the developers either!

We most certainly are not turning into commercial operation.

There was nothing to stop any of the other respected VA's from trying something similar. If you don't ask, you don't get. Would other airlines turn down an oppertunity like this if it came along? Be truthful now.

As I mentioned earlier, the early response from our members has been most encouraging. Many of them are delighted with the chance to sample fully working payware as a reward for their loyalty.

I suppose, the success of this venture will be decided by the people who really matter, our members, and so far it's most encouraging. Let's wait and see shall we. :lol:

Edited by del steel, 16 January 2008 - 07:47 PM.

#13 .Andrew

.Andrew

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:48 PM

this kinda reminds me of walmart (metroair) vs. smaller buisnesses.

just my 2 cents.

#14 #1-Stunna

#1-Stunna

Private Pilot - VFR

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:49 PM

I am jealous, why couldnt Virtual Air Jamaica be so lucky? Pretty cool though.

#15 Sun Flight Web

Sun Flight Web

Student Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:49 PM

why does you signuture say "Welcome To 2007"

#16 Del Steel

Del Steel

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:51 PM

View PostNick Tyson, on Jan 16 2008, 07:49 PM, said:

why does you signuture say "Welcome To 2007"
Look Again :lol:

#17 Sun Flight Web

Sun Flight Web

Student Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:56 PM

Way To Change It...........................................................lol  :lol:

#18 zrotzel

zrotzel

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:58 PM

I purchased IAD months ago Del, and its ok at best anyway.  :lol:

#19 monkeypaw201

monkeypaw201

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:00 PM

Pushing the boundaries, I suppose I fail to see what boundary you are pushing besides the one between the open community of VA's and commercial sites.  There are several VA's out there that have custom gates and other scenery enhancements that they have generated for their members (St. Paul Airlines comes to mind).  

But it is unusual for a business such as a payware developer to give away 400 “Fully working samples" of their product without some type of incentive in return.  To call it advertising shows some lack of vision on the developers part, because Metro only has 400 pilots so that is a limited audience for the product.  The only other viable business reason is for BETA testing and feedback.

So we are left to wonder is it a questionable business move on the developers part, or is the Metro staff providing the developers with 400 testers to play the lab rat role for them?

#20 Del Steel

Del Steel

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:04 PM

View Postzrotzel, on Jan 16 2008, 07:58 PM, said:

I purchased IAD months ago Del, and its ok at best anyway.  :lol:
That's good to hear. Your one of number of MetroAir pilots who have already purchased this software and therefore will not feel the full benefit of this reward. You gotta admit though - it's far more superior than the default KIAD! :lol: