- - - - -

British Airways 777-200 Lands short of runway at LHR!

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#241 spitfir3

spitfir3

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:30 PM

View PostOrigim, on Jan 20 2008, 03:49 PM, said:

Those of youbashing on people arriving to environmentalist conferences or whatnot on cars/planes really need to actually THINK.

What are they gonna do, jog across Europe/US/Atlantic to get there?  NO!  They HAVE to use those vehicles, there is NO way around it.  What they can do with those conferences is (1) raise awareness so that people don't jump in a car go to 500 meters to their local convinience store (2) to promote support for environmentally friendly fuels, and all that other stuff.

Those of you saying they are hypocrites for using cars and whatnot need to understand the scales of things.

Yep

and whats the harm in saving energy?

but tbh they should build a 3rd runway (and using the incident as an excuse is poor) 'cause imagine the fuel usage used by a big aircraft holding for 30 mins??

#242 ThrottleUp

ThrottleUp

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:31 PM

What are they gonna do, jog across Europe/US/Atlantic to get there?

Posted Image

Reduce O2 emissions from too much business travel

Posted Image

http://www.washingto..._1/32011-1.html

http://www.eyenetwork.com/climate.asp

Posted Image

#243 DJ Iceman

DJ Iceman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:26 AM

Someone needs to upload or find the following to/on youtube:

The news clips
The clips of the 777
The FS2004 clip or whatever

BBC's video player doesnt like FireFox :lol:

#244 Hazmat

Hazmat

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:40 AM

My good ol' pop informed me of this incident, I switched on CNN and there was a story on politicans :lol: . How can they report a Jetblue flight with a nosegear malfunction but not a  :lol: 777 almost falling short of Heathrow? Besides that I'm glad all got out ok.

#245 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:27 AM

Because it's CNN and American media gets better ratings over a debate between Hillary and Obama than crashes a week old.

#246 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:50 AM

CNN did do some reporting on the crash, but they're not going to have 24/7 news coverage on an airplane making a crash landing about a week ago. Even the Jetblue thing, they moved on after it landed.

The plane hit the ground hard, a couple people got hurt only minorly, the plane is being written off. Get over it.

Edited by SoaringEagle, 21 January 2008 - 08:51 AM.

#247 jondownie

jondownie

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:16 AM

View PostOrigim, on Jan 20 2008, 03:49 PM, said:

Those of youbashing on people arriving to environmentalist conferences or whatnot on cars/planes really need to actually THINK.

What are they gonna do, jog across Europe/US/Atlantic to get there?  NO!  They HAVE to use those vehicles, there is NO way around it.  What they can do with those conferences is (1) raise awareness so that people don't jump in a car go to 500 meters to their local convinience store (2) to promote support for environmentally friendly fuels, and all that other stuff.

Those of you saying they are hypocrites for using cars and whatnot need to understand the scales of things.

As someone else said: video conferencing.  Plus, there is abig difference between arriving in an economy class new plane and arriving in a stupid 4x4.  TBH environmentalists tend to go over the score.  They bash aviation when, according to objective observers, aviation only contributes around 3.5 to 4% of overall CO2 emissions.  The biggest load comes from...  

COWS.

So why aren't they suggesting destroying cows?  Why is it that car manufacturers get more credit for producing cars that get 5% more miles to the gallon when planes like the A380 and B787 which have seen higher jumps in effiency and a reduction of NOx emissions to ZERO still come in for a big hit.

It's time protesters and politicians stopped all this opportunist nonsense and actually read scientific figures before letting their over-exercised jaws rattle!

#248 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:25 AM

View PostSoaringEagle, on Jan 21 2008, 01:50 PM, said:

The plane hit the ground hard, a couple people got hurt only minorly, the plane is being written off. Get over it.
Meh. I think that it's not really something to 'get over' until the AAIB have figured out just what caused the problem...

#249 Pattyboy10

Pattyboy10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:27 AM

View PostSoaringEagle, on Jan 21 2008, 09:50 AM, said:

CNN did do some reporting on the crash, but they're not going to have 24/7 news coverage on an airplane making a crash landing about a week ago. Even the Jetblue thing, they moved on after it landed.

That's now what I worry about, its about the engines not responing to either AT movement or manual throttle movement!

I've been talking with colleage pilots about it yesterday, and they also find it very freaky. The fact is, how can an airliners like the 777 with all its modern avionics and computers, have this error. If it will be linked to computer/avionics faults, we could get some big problems in the aviation industry because of the fact that there is something wrong there .... So somehow I DO hope this was a pilot error...

#250 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:31 AM

View PostPattyboy10, on Jan 21 2008, 02:27 PM, said:

That's now what I worry about, its about the engines not responing to either AT movement or manual throttle movement!

I've been talking with colleage pilots about it yesterday, and they also find it very freaky. The fact is, how can an airliners like the 777 with all its modern avionics and computers, have this error. If it will be linked to computer/avionics faults, we could get some big problems in the aviation industry because of the fact that there is something wrong there .... So somehow I DO hope this was a pilot error...
It's not neccessarily down to a computer failure...apparently the investigators are looking into the possibility of fuel contamination, mobile phone interference etc.

#251 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:52 AM

View PostChief_Bean, on Jan 21 2008, 10:25 AM, said:

Meh. I think that it's not really something to 'get over' until the AAIB have figured out just what caused the problem...

Maybe it's not something to get over if you're investigating it with the AAIB, but if you're not, and I doubt you are investigating with them, worrying about this is absolutly pointless.

#252 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:52 AM

View PostSoaringEagle, on Jan 21 2008, 02:52 PM, said:

View PostChief_Bean, on Jan 21 2008, 10:25 AM, said:

Maybe it's not something to get over if you're investigating it with the AAIB, but if you're not, and I doubt you are investigating with them, worrying about this is absolutly pointless.
Of course I'm not :lol:

And neither am I worrying -- just interested :lol:

#253 Humpty Dumpty

Humpty Dumpty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:20 PM

What makes me laugh is all the reports in various UK newspapers by journalists who all of a sudden think they are pilots and know how planes fly.

If I was the average joe and didn't have a clue about aircraft systems I wouldn't notice but its appalling how incorrect some of the articles are.

Makes you wonder how often they misrepresent other news articles!

#254 Max.

Max.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:27 PM

View PostHumpty Dumpty, on Jan 21 2008, 05:20 PM, said:

What makes me laugh is all the reports in various UK newspapers by journalists who all of a sudden think they are pilots and know how planes fly.

If I was the average joe and didn't have a clue about aircraft systems I wouldn't notice but its appalling how incorrect some of the articles are.

Makes you wonder how often they misrepresent other news articles!
Couldn't agree more, suddenly the whole world is an aviation expert. Whats worse so many people take what the read in the papers as the absolute truth and its just simply not the case.

#255 Pattyboy10

Pattyboy10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:54 PM

View PostChief_Bean, on Jan 21 2008, 10:31 AM, said:

View PostPattyboy10, on Jan 21 2008, 02:27 PM, said:

It's not neccessarily down to a computer failure...apparently the investigators are looking into the possibility of fuel contamination, mobile phone interference etc.
Im not an 777 expert, but I've been having discussions about this at the aiport, with lots of captains, one of which is an Ex SQ 777

Fuel contamination would not be a factor, because at landing they give direct feeds to the engines. So fuel pump right to the engine. Even if it was a fuel error, how because they both didn't response at the same time.

Besides that, both throttles work on different computers, left has its own, and right has its own. That's why lots of people (including me) descibe it as a freak accident.

Because I find it a freak accident, I am very interested on the actual cause, and that's what keeps me interested!

#256 ThrottleUp

ThrottleUp

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

The outcome of this investigation will be amongst the most eagerly awaited in aviation accidents I think. Most interested will be Boeing, RR & of course currently serving 777 drivers who will no doubt be wondering if the same thing could happen to their machines. But I know I will voice everyone when I say that whatever the cause of those motors not responding - everyone survived :lol:

Yay!

#257 CaptainTim

CaptainTim

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:08 AM

One of the Dispatchers at Heathrow who was actually spotting at the time caught some pictures of the plane landing.

http://www.dailymail...in_page_id=1770

From the 1st picture, the RAT doesnt not look like it has been deployed...

#258 Pattyboy10

Pattyboy10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:40 PM

Yah, E135 is his username if I was correct, I like the first pic.

Too bad no one made a video. :lol:

#259 WF10

WF10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:00 PM

yeah you guys are so right. It sickens me how the normal news reporter thinks he knows all there isto know about it, and he feels that he needs to eucate us, when clearly he knows :lol: all.

Thanks!

#260 Pattyboy10

Pattyboy10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:22 AM

Hahahahaha !! Had a great laugh with this video.