94 replies to this topic

#81 Adam.

Adam.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

lpf thanks for that, but cabair aren't for me i am afraid. I've got all their informational booklets here at home about training and a degree, but they only have a partnership with flybe, i am not saying flybe are bad, but i'd rather fly out of this country.

#82 CaptainTim

CaptainTim

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:37 AM

But thats not going to stop you applying for BA as direct entry is it? If you have an ATPL, whats stopping you trying to find another airline? Your not restricted to just Flybe.

Have you looked at Flight Training Europe? I have to say they look like they have a nice set-up. Might plan myself a trip down to Jerez later in the year to have a look around.

Edited by lpf20011, 06 June 2008 - 10:37 AM.

#83 spitfir3

spitfir3

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:14 AM

View PostAdam., on Jun 6 2008, 10:28 AM, said:

lpf thanks for that, but cabair aren't for me i am afraid. I've got all their informational booklets here at home about training and a degree, but they only have a partnership with flybe, i am not saying flybe are bad, but i'd rather fly out of this country.

You gotta remember, you don't choose who you work for - you go for the job that's avaliable. Its on the only attitude to take in the aviation industry, you'll never get hired if you're picky.

Check out this: http://www.flyer.co.uk/exhibitions/ - it's down in Heathrow - some good seminars and you can talk to all the FTOs.

#84 CaptainTim

CaptainTim

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:45 AM

View Postspitfir3, on Jun 6 2008, 05:14 PM, said:

You gotta remember, you don't choose who you work for - you go for the job that's avaliable. Its on the only attitude to take in the aviation industry, you'll never get hired if you're picky.

Too true. I know when I was at Oxfords Base they said that if your picky e.g. only want to fly Airbus and your offered boring or visa versa then you won't get far. Those debts need paying off and flying for anyone is the only way you can do it in loan/bonds timescale.

#85 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:39 PM

View Postspitfir3, on Jun 6 2008, 11:14 AM, said:

Being picky will limit your choices but EVERYONE has a choice in who they fly for (unless your a Chinese cadet hired for life into an airline).

What you should have said was, don't limit your options to just a few.. the more options you have, the more chances you have of getting a job with an airline you like, rather than having a pilots license and stocking groceries for a living becuase your 1 airline turned you down.

#86 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:32 PM

View PostNWilkinson, on Jun 6 2008, 02:39 PM, said:

View Postspitfir3, on Jun 6 2008, 11:14 AM, said:

Being picky will limit your choices but EVERYONE has a choice in who they fly for (unless your a Chinese cadet hired for life into an airline).

What you should have said was, don't limit your options to just a few.. the more options you have, the more chances you have of getting a job with an airline you like, rather than having a pilots license and stocking groceries for a living becuase your 1 airline turned you down.

LOL seriously, the way the airlines are today I don't play favorites but from an enthusiast's POV I like some airline's paint schemes. Honestly whoever hires me will be my airline for the time being :lol:

Edited by AmericanAirFan, 06 June 2008 - 06:32 PM.

#87 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:13 PM

I wouldn't worry about what's on the outside...   you're flying in a real cockpit, not spot view.

#88 FL050

FL050

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:46 AM

LOL seriously, the way the airlines are today I don't play favorites but from an enthusiast's POV I like some airline's paint schemes. Honestly whoever hires me will be my airline for the time being

Write that down somewhere.  When you get the qualifications to start applying for airlines, and get more experience under your belt while learning more about the industry, you will look at that statement and start laughing at what you just wrote.

I think some of you need to really join, and participate in, other aviation flying communities/message boards with active flying commercial pilots in all variations of this industry.  You'd be surprised to see how it really works; and just to state it - airliners.net does not count.  I give as much credit to the people at airliners.net as I do here.

Edited by FL050, 07 June 2008 - 12:49 AM.

#89 as737700

as737700

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:04 AM

View PostNoble., on Jun 6 2008, 05:38 AM, said:

View Postscavers, on Jun 5 2008, 11:36 PM, said:

You won't fly a 757 as a first job - so even if a 757 F/O was clearing 50K - don't expect it for a while -

True in America, not true in Europe. It's not rare for someone to leave FTE to go and work straight-away on the 747. I know someone who went straight from FTE to Singapore on the 744; it just depends on the demand at that time in the industry.

Some of the US/Canada members on the board need to realize that things are done a bit differently on the other side of the "pond".  I know guys in Turkey who went to the right seat of a 737/A320 with about 50 hours.

View PostNWilkinson, on Jun 6 2008, 09:13 PM, said:

I wouldn't worry about what's on the outside...   you're flying in a real cockpit, not spot view.

Well it's nice to get to look at some pretty colors as you're doing the walk around, isn't it? :lol:

#90 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:21 AM

View PostFL050, on Jun 7 2008, 12:46 AM, said:

LOL seriously, the way the airlines are today I don't play favorites but from an enthusiast's POV I like some airline's paint schemes. Honestly whoever hires me will be my airline for the time being

Write that down somewhere.  When you get the qualifications to start applying for airlines, and get more experience under your belt while learning more about the industry, you will look at that statement and start laughing at what you just wrote.

I think you misread my statement. I said the way airlines are I don't play favorites meaning I'm not gonna be narrow minded and pick one airline and choose that I'm going to fly for that airline and if I can't then I fail at life. Then from an aviation enthusiasts POV I like some of the airline's paint schemes i.e. plane spotting which has nothing to do with my choice in favorite airlines if I had a favorite. I was simply stating that I enjoy seeing all the different schemes out there when I plane spot. Maybe I should of said plane spotters POV but I thought you'd understand. And yeah whoever does hire me will be my airline until I find another....

Also I do check out other sites besides airliners.net and here I also check out airlinepilotcentral.com often. I would not be so quick to invalidate airliners.net even though they're rather biased opinions there but there is lots of information about the industry. Also there is a good meat of stuff to be learned from reading the tech ops section. Whether you are a pilot or a little NIMBY begging to be a pilot airliners.net is a great source of information.

#91 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:28 AM

But the biggest problem with airliners.net is 15% of them are actual pilots..   5% of them actually fly for an airline (while the other 10% are either students or private pilots), and like many other flight simulator related forums, 50% think they're actually pilots.

Best to stick to pilot-only forums like PPRUNE, Airline Pilot Central, etc

#92 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

View PostNWilkinson, on Jun 8 2008, 08:28 AM, said:

But the biggest problem with airliners.net is 15% of them are actual pilots..   5% of them actually fly for an airline (while the other 10% are either students or private pilots), and like many other flight simulator related forums, 50% think they're actually pilots.

You just gotta look at people's profiles on A.net and see whos who and take all their words with a grain of salt :lol: I'll check out PPRUNE never heard of it before :lol: But I agree there are lots of people without half a clue, I might be one of them, but that is why I don't have a forum membership at airliners.net I just read... I have nothing to contribute yet.

#93 fluffy

fluffy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:04 PM

View PostAmericanAirFan, on Jun 8 2008, 06:54 PM, said:

View PostNWilkinson, on Jun 8 2008, 08:28 AM, said:

You just gotta look at people's profiles on A.net and see whos who and take all their words with a grain of salt :lol: I'll check out PPRUNE never heard of it before :lol: But I agree there are lots of people without half a clue, I might be one of them, but that is why I don't have a forum membership at airliners.net I just read... I have nothing to contribute yet.

Don't believe everything people say about themselves though, I remember at FL350 a number of years ago we had a spate of people pretending to be actual airline pilots - course they didn't last long, but still, it goes to show everything isn't how it initially appears.

#94 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:35 PM

In the world of internet anonymity anyone can be everything and everything...

Just like Peter Griffin's Secret Agent Astronaut Millionaire

Edited by NWilkinson, 08 June 2008 - 07:42 PM.

#95 kestrel

kestrel

formerly phil0510

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:50 PM

Some people really do moan and seem to think there right!

Tomas cook Pilots don't get £250,000, not even half that! Just stop moaning on and get over it! Why don't you listen to someone who had a dad who works for Tomas cook as a SFO.