94 replies to this topic

#1 Adam.

Adam.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:06 PM

Hey, at air cadets there is a CI called Paul Regnard who flies for Thomas Cook in the 757's. I am wanting to fly for them hopefully so asked him the pays.
   I was very pleasantly surprised when he said that:

First officor - £45,000 - £80,000

captain - £140,000-£160,000

Then the big one, he said that captains flying overtime earn this  - £250,000

i was like WOW! So obviously if i become a pilot for them the cash won't be a worry :lol:

Edited by Adam., 03 June 2008 - 12:06 PM.

#2 Noble.

Noble.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:21 PM

You don't become a Pilot for the money, especially not for the first 10-years. In fact, you'll need to dish out nearly a Captain's salary becoming a Pilot, and considering Loans are now becoming a things of the past; good luck with finding the funds.

#3 Adam.

Adam.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:23 PM

I know that, the funds are fine i know loadsa ways to become a pilot especially CTC. It' about £60,000 but they give everything from PPL to ATPL, all in new zealand! Then you get a GUARANTEED PLACE in Thomas Cook.

#4 Noble.

Noble.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:30 PM

View PostAdam., on Jun 3 2008, 06:23 PM, said:

I know that, the funds are fine i know loadsa ways to become a pilot especially CTC. It' about £60,000 but they give everything from PPL to ATPL, all in new zealand! Then you get a GUARANTEED PLACE in Thomas Cook.

What I'm saying is, in 3/4 years time, it's very likely there'll be no need for Sponsorships or Loans, because there'll be enough Pilots applying whom have the money themselves; at least that's whats started happening now.

Then you get a GUARANTEED PLACE in Thomas Cook.

Don't be ridiculous, there's no such thing as a guaranteed place, especially not from a School like CTC, I mean, FTE and OAT don't even put absurd things like that.

If you actually read their website, it states,

"All our graduates are usually offered the opportunity of full time employment with our partner airlines"

If you read that carefully enough, you'll see that you're not even guaranteed employment, nevermind with TCX.

#5 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:36 PM

View PostNoble., on Jun 3 2008, 06:30 PM, said:

View PostAdam., on Jun 3 2008, 06:23 PM, said:

What I'm saying is, in 3/4 years time, it's very likely there'll be no need for Sponsorships or Loans, because there'll be enough Pilots applying whom have the money themselves; at least that's whats started happening now.

Then you get a GUARANTEED PLACE in Thomas Cook.

Don't be ridiculous, there's no such thing as a guaranteed place, especially not from a School like CTC, I mean, FTE and OAT don't even put absurd things like that.

If you actually read their website, it states,

"All our graduates are usually offered the opportunity of full time employment with our partner airlines"

If you read that carefully enough, you'll see that you're not even guaranteed employment, nevermind with TCX.
:lol: Good luck getting into CTC anyway :lol:

#6 WF10

WF10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:38 PM

hmmm, Im keeping my options open, but those figures are nice :lol:

#7 fluffy

fluffy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

Ah. Pipedreams and fantasies. How quaint :lol:

#8 spitfir3

spitfir3

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:29 PM

View PostAdam., on Jun 3 2008, 12:23 PM, said:

and back to reality...

I'm sorry but if you think anyone can give you a guranteed job in the aviation industry then you should probabaly choose another career route :lol:

No chance of instantly getting a job with Thomas Cook with 250 hours and no type rating.. also the pay scales look a bit off, you'd never start off on £40k especially without a type rating.

#9 Captain-Amar

Captain-Amar

Screenshot Hotshot of 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:33 PM

Exactly ^, idk if thomas cook takes co-co's but that isn't fun in anyway. When you are with your education you need to get a type rating and makes some hours. Allot of airlines want 500+ hours on a type before you can start as a F/O. Oh, and type ratings do cost abit of money.

#10 Adam.

Adam.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:43 PM

Right, what i am saying is everything this pilot has told me, you DO go to New Zealand and Paul DID say an almost guaranteed placement with partner airlines. Fair enough, you have to get a type rating but you can do that after the CTC, and then go through to selection for TCX.

Spitfir3 - If you think i am going to choose another career choice, you got another thing coming. I've never stopped wanting to be a pilot in anytime in my life, i'm not going to suddenly change it. I will try for any airline, i am already predicted A's and A*'s for GCSE so thats ok as long as revision is put in, then all it is then is going through the selection process for an airline. :lol:

#11 Windowseat

Windowseat

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:50 PM

View PostAdam., on Jun 3 2008, 06:06 PM, said:

what going over your monthly hour limit??? .....

View PostAdam., on Jun 3 2008, 06:06 PM, said:

Hey, at air cadets there is a CI called Paul Regnard who flies for Thomas Cook in the 757's. I am wanting to fly for them hopefully so asked him the pays.
   I was very pleasantly surprised when he said that:

First officor - £45,000 - £80,000

captain - £140,000-£160,000

i was like WOW! So obviously if i become a pilot for them the cash won't be a worry :lol:

the pilots i speak to don't earn that... and they have been flying over 10-15 years

#12 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:06 PM

If your in it for the money you're gambling with the wrong industry, though I will admit European are probably in better shape than US carriers right now.

#13 Woodsta

Woodsta

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:10 PM

How is Quantas doing?

#14 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:15 PM

View PostWoodsta, on Jun 3 2008, 10:10 PM, said:

How is Quantas doing?
I would guess by TND4NOS' posts that better than the US carriers, but still not that great :lol:

#15 slipstream86

slipstream86

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:42 PM

Ffs Guys stop being so negative :lol:

Everyone knows how overpriced and selective those integrated courses at the big FTO's are. The vast vast majority of professional pilots qualify through the modular route anyway, which is managable in terms of funds if you work. Werther or not there will be a quick job for a low hours Fatpal with no type rating in 5 years time remains to be seen!

Adam, you sound like you have already made you mind up, and good luck to you :lol:

#16 TOGA10

TOGA10

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:34 PM

Adam, I wish you the best of luck but just something you have got to remember.

When you start off flying with only a few hundred hours, if that, the chances are very slim of getting a good pay and a job with an airline like TCX, TOM, BAW etc. Also the pay can change depending on how much they need pilots or not, I've heard about this before with some other airlines. Also you may want to remember that A* in GCSE won't get you into an airline, although it definately helps. If I was in your shoes, which I pretty much am now coming up to GCSE's I would stay on and get A-levels, although others may say recommend getting a degree, the research I've been doing says it's not needed seeing as you will have A-levels to fall back on if anything does go wrong. Aswell as that, many airlines and flight schools require you to have them.

Once again, good luck mate!   :lol:

#17 Noble.

Noble.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:41 PM

View PostAdam., on Jun 3 2008, 08:43 PM, said:

Right, what i am saying is everything this pilot has told me, you DO go to New Zealand and Paul DID say an almost guaranteed placement with partner airlines. Fair enough, you have to get a type rating but you can do that after the CTC, and then go through to selection for TCX.

Spitfir3 - If you think i am going to choose another career choice, you got another thing coming. I've never stopped wanting to be a pilot in anytime in my life, i'm not going to suddenly change it. I will try for any airline, i am already predicted A's and A*'s for GCSE so thats ok as long as revision is put in, then all it is then is going through the selection process for an airline. :lol:

I'm sorry to break this to you, but grades mean nothing when looking at becoming a Pilot, because when there was a large demand for Pilots the requirements were lowered quite considerably, and there's a :lol:-of-a-lot of Pilots flying now with only 5 A*-C Grades at GCSE, simply because it was needed for the demand. In fact, if you turn up to the Interview, they're not even going to look at your GCSEs, they're going to look at your A-Levels (obviously you need to go to college to become a Pilot, in today's age you can't do anything off the back of GCSEs), and if you're A-Levels are in Maths, Physics (which are two compulsory subjects in reality.), and they're at an A, then they're not going to care what you got in your GCSEs, as long as you got 5 A*-Cs. Do you have any idea how oxymoronic "almost guaranteed placement" is?

Just so you know, Type-ratings cost as much as getting an ATPL in the first place, so my initial statement about dishing out £160,000 to get to the stage of becoming a F/O is very accurate.

Another thing, if you're wanting to stand a chance in the selection process for an Airline, you're not going to be able to do that from A-Levels, nevermind GCSEs, you're going to need to have a Degree, in a quantitative subject such as Maths, Economics, or Physics, and passed it with a First, in fact do that at Oxbridge, and you'll then almost be guaranteed a Place in the selection process, as long as you're not completely awful in the Interview (which accounts for about 50% of an Airline's decision in hiring you).

Edited by Noble., 03 June 2008 - 07:41 PM.

#18 RadRig211

RadRig211

Orville Reincarnate

• Members/Edit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:00 PM

View PostNoble., on Jun 3 2008, 05:41 PM, said:

Do you have any idea how oxymoronic "almost guaranteed placement" is?

in fact do that at Oxbridge, and you'll then almost be guaranteed a Place

Nice.. :lol:

Purely of curiosity, N, but what exactly is your vocation?

#19 FL050

FL050

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:55 PM

what going over your monthly hour limit??? .....

That is generally the only way to make that much money, and airlines try as hard as possible to not let their pilots fly over their monthly requirement since extra pay is very expensive for them.

There are still many ways to make a lot of money in aviation, especially in foreign countries (non-US).  I know multiple Southwest Airlines captains here in the US that make over $200,000/year.  But, like everyone else said, if you get into aviation for the money, you are a fool.

#20 Visionary

Visionary

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:01 AM

Honestly some peoples opinions of pilots are a little too high, it isn't that difficult to get in. With regards to university, if you are doing a decent degree at oxbridge you would be stupid to be a pilot, go to the city and makes loads of money. With regards to guaranteed places, if you are a good enough candidate you will get a job if you are straight out of an integrated course, if you can't go to africa or somewhere else.

Of course GCSEs matter, when they look at your CV and you have a string of As their first impression will be good, couple that with a decent degree and you stand a good chance. There are also plenty of 19yr olds who have got jobs with BA, with just GCSEs. It all depends on what kind of candidate you are.