#21 fluffy

fluffy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:16 AM

View Postsamdaflyer, on Jun 4 2008, 02:01 PM, said:

It all depends on what kind of candidate you are.

And who your dad is  :lol:

#22 kestrel

kestrel

formerly phil0510

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:37 AM

View PostAdam., on Jun 3 2008, 06:06 PM, said:

Hey, at air cadets there is a CI called Paul Regnard who flies for Thomas Cook in the 757's. I am wanting to fly for them hopefully so asked him the pays.
   I was very pleasantly surprised when he said that:

First officor - £45,000 - £80,000

captain - £140,000-£160,000

Then the big one, he said that captains flying overtime earn this  - £250,000

i was like WOW! So obviously if i become a pilot for them the cash won't be a worry :lol:

Wrong... My dad is a SFO on the A330's for Tomas cook and he just about gets that!

I actually have a list of the pay for pilots somewhere in a draw :lol: and in can tell you a captian thats been there for 20 years would only get £104,000!

#23 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:12 PM

First officor - £45,000 - £80,000

captain - £140,000-£160,000

Then the big one, he said that captains flying overtime earn this - £250,000

No way Jose.

You seriously think that Thomas cook would pay more than BA did?

Concorde Captains Got Less than £250k so i would think that them facts are more than wrong.

My £2!

#24 Adam.

Adam.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

kestrel i get your point, but i asked this pilot and he told me, so i can't exactly disagree with him.

I am getting 2 or 3 A-levels, maths and physics and maybe geography. Obviously i go to cadets so my CV will be packed with stuff, and i am not getting a degree in any subject but an honours degree in aviation, possibly with OAT.

Edited by Adam., 04 June 2008 - 12:14 PM.

#25 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:17 PM

View PostAdam., on Jun 4 2008, 06:13 PM, said:

kestrel i get your point, but i asked this pilot and he told me, so i can't exactly disagree with him.

I am getting 2 or 3 A-levels, maths and physics and maybe geography. Obviously i go to cadets so my CV will be packed with stuff, and i am not getting a degree in any subject but an honours degree in aviation, possibly with OAT.
Your CV packed? Because you went to air cadents, went to sixth form and got three A levels? :lol:

Anyway, the first year FO salary is £36,365 (according to their website). I'd rather trust that than the information you've posted :lol:

#26 fluffy

fluffy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:34 PM

View PostAdam., on Jun 4 2008, 06:13 PM, said:

Not from the cadets you won't. You get to do pretty much nothing apart from a Duke of Edinburgh award and the odd charity piece. You need life experience dealing with difficult situations, difficult people, and potentially dangerous situations, not to mention leadership (and it's honastly not the same thing as becoming a corporal LOL) skills.

If I were you I'd get a job. If you're good at swimming become a life guard or something like that. You'll also have something to talk about in the interview (should you get that far, although I very much doubt you, or about 95% of people on this forum will get to that stage).

#27 TOGA10

TOGA10

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:38 PM

Adam, don't always believe people in authority. And Noble. pretty much got it there, you can have A* in every subject but if your actual flying exams are pants you won't have a great chance of being hired for a while if at all.

View Postfluff, on Jun 4 2008, 06:34 PM, said:

I very much doubt you, or about 95% of people on this forum will get to that stage

Completely agree.

#28 Adam.

Adam.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:15 PM

I don't know why you are all putting me down, i'm going to try my best at getting to that stage, your all making this sound such a hard job to get. And fluff, i really don't know what you are on about, air cadets puts tons onto the CV, camps, gun training, promotions and getting classified, all that goes towards being a pilot. This Thomas Cook pilot went to Air cadets for a couple of years and said it give him a huge advantage over some other people getting interviewed because he had so much to talk about!!!

#29 spitfir3

spitfir3

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:34 PM

View PostAdam., on Jun 4 2008, 03:15 PM, said:

I don't know why you are all putting me down, i'm going to try my best at getting to that stage, your all making this sound such a hard job to get. And fluff, i really don't know what you are on about, air cadets puts tons onto the CV, camps, gun training, promotions and getting classified, all that goes towards being a pilot. This Thomas Cook pilot went to Air cadets for a couple of years and said it give him a huge advantage over some other people getting interviewed because he had so much to talk about!!!

oh dear... seriously you have a very naive view of the industry.

It is NOT easy to get a job as a commercial pilot flying airliners especially with ones only opering midsized-large jets.

Why should they pick a non type rated pilot with 250 hours, young inexperiencd lad with no knowledge of the industry when theres 100's and 100's of type rated, 500+ hour pilots floating about.. which choice do you think they would take? whuch would be the most risky for them?

At your age i'd be more worried about any medical implications (ECG problems, any unnoticeabe eye problems etc) - don't worry just keep in mind that there may be unforseen problems which unfortunatley are unneogitable and will stop any career full stop - financing the whole thing - if your doing integrated have you got any collateral? will you parents be willing to do so?

We're not putting you down... and don't take it personally - it may seem pessemistic but we're only being realistic.

Edited by spitfir3, 04 June 2008 - 03:42 PM.

#30 ZB_A321

ZB_A321

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:52 PM

No way, No pilot in the world gets £150,000 PA, And no captain earns £250,000.

Ive had the pleasure of talking to a Senior first officer for thomsonfly/First Choice, He only gets around a ballpark figure of £62,000 PA, And a family freind whos a ryanair Senior captain gets around £80,000 PA, I don't know where you got £250,000 from, you must be thinking dollers.

Virgin Atlantic Captains only earn around £80,000 to £100,000.

#31 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:59 PM

View PostMonarchA321IAE, on Jun 4 2008, 09:52 PM, said:

No way, No pilot in the world gets £150,000 PA,
Well, that's not true either.

#32 Noble.

Noble.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:02 PM

View PostAdam., on Jun 4 2008, 09:15 PM, said:

No offence, but from what you've been talking about, throughout this whole topic, it's fairly easy to deduct you know very little about the Industry. I don't really know what to suggest you do, in terms of finding out more information, but whatever source you're currently aquiring information from, it's definitely telling you some rather ridiculous stuff.

Air Cadets are a "good thing to do", but unfortunately is completely pointless, believe me when I say, turning up to an interview and saying to the person conducting the interview "I'd be a good person to employ because I was in the Air Cadets", inside they will most likely laugh at you. In fairness, Air Cadets teaches you pretty much nothing about the Aviation Industry if you're wanting to enter it from a Commercial point-of-view, and I know they drill into you about how it's going to be a great addition to your CV, but you would be advised by most people not to even put it on your CV. It's the same thing with Flight Simulation, never mention you have experience with it at an interview (especially if it's to one to become a Pilot), they much more prefer to teach someone from a stand-point that they've had no experience what-so-ever, than someone who's flown in FS, because they're normally over-confident, and rant on about complete rubbish when it comes down to the theoretical side.

We're making it sound like a hard job to get, because it is. Unless you've actually personally got the money to do it, the chances of becoming a Pilot are rather slim, Loans are extremely hard to get in today's society (especially ones of £100,000), and Sponsorship Schemes are becoming a thing of the Past (BA's is being completely phased out, closely followed by EasyJet's and Ryanair's) because Airlines can't afford to be paying that amount of money on behalf of people wantint to become Pilots any more.

This Thomas Cook Pilot has got quite a lot wrong about this, I don't know whether he's just telling you this, because you're 13/14 and doesn't want to crush your dreams, or whether he's talking about how when he was in the process of doing it, it's how it was for him. Air Cadets now-a-days is really quite futile, the best thing for anyone to do, from the age 14+ to aid them in becoming and Airline Pilot, is getting their PPL as quickly as possible.

Someone with a PPL at the age of 18 (when applying to Airlines), will have a significant benefit over anyone else, regardless of whether they've shot a rifle in the Air Cadets or became a Corporal, because it shows you have the knowledge, even from when at a younger age, to apply to flying, and shows to Airlines that you're "cut out" to be a Pilot, given with other criteria.

Of course to get your PPL as young as possible, you need money, a resonating factor that's been echoing throughout this whole topic, unfortunately Piloting in the 21st Century, at the moment, is about money, not about intellect (although helpful), it's not about going to a rather "futile" club that supposedly helps (someone) making you more appealing to Airlines, and it's not about being a good Pilot.

View PostMonarchA321IAE, on Jun 4 2008, 09:52 PM, said:

No way, No pilot in the world gets £150,000 PA, And no captain earns £250,000.

Ive had the pleasure of talking to a Senior first officer for thomsonfly/First Choice, He only gets around a ballpark figure of £62,000 PA, And a family freind whos a ryanair Senior captain gets around £80,000 PA, I don't know where you got £250,000 from, you must be thinking dollers.

Virgin Atlantic Captains only earn around £80,000 to £100,000.

There are some airlines around the world, that eventually pay the equivilent of around £250,000.

#33 ZB_A321

ZB_A321

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:06 PM

No !! No airline in the world pays £250,000 No airline i know of pays £150,000.

don't try and get cleaver and correct me, becuase no airline in the world pays £250,000. End of, there is no arguement.

#34 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

View PostMonarchA321IAE, on Jun 4 2008, 10:06 PM, said:

don't try and get cleaver and correct me, becuase no airline in the world pays £250,000. End of, there is no arguement.
Posted Image

Anyway, captains get greater pay packages for other titles like: training captain; fleet captain; chief pilot etc.

#35 spitfir3

spitfir3

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

View PostMonarchA321IAE, on Jun 4 2008, 04:06 PM, said:

No I can imagine some training captains for the bigger airlines might get that amount.. pretax anyway :lol:

Edited by spitfir3, 04 June 2008 - 04:29 PM.

#36 Visionary

Visionary

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:28 PM

I would imagine some of the highest paid pilots are the royal flight ones for the gulf states . I also heard Eurofighter trainers are in the money aswell. Only a small amount of them and KSA is paying big money to entice people over there, around £170,000.

#37 Salem

Salem

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:29 AM

After reading this thread now I realize we are spoiled over here. Both Emirates and Etihad offer free pilot cadet programs for UAE nationals and a F/O over any of them gets around £150000 PA although Etihad pays better than Emirates for obvious reasons.

View Postsamdaflyer, on Jun 5 2008, 03:28 AM, said:

I would imagine some of the highest paid pilots are the royal flight ones for the gulf states . I also heard Eurofighter trainers are in the money aswell. Only a small amount of them and KSA is paying big money to entice people over there, around £170,000.
We knew the Bahraini captain for the UAE President Boeing 747-400 and he was getting at least around 60000£ each flight without the monthly salary and all the other millions-worth stuff like lands, villas, cars etc. but then again he's working for the military I think which isn't a cool thing.

#38 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:50 AM

Just going to put my two cents in...

Listen to Noble...   he's pretty much summing everything up for you...

No airline in the world could survive paying a F/O 45-80 thousand pounds a year..   in the USA, that's 80-156 thousand dollars..  that's a Captains' pay.  And if Thompson paid that much, they would never be hiring, becuase EVERY single money-driven pilot (vast majority) would be trying to get with them...  meaning their 5000 hr experience on a 757 else ware will easily out rank your 200 hour in a piston-single..  and EVEN, if EVEN Thompson did pay that much, most likely that'd be the salary for those with 15-20 years of seniority with that airline, not someone fresh out of InDoc.  

It takes years, sometimes a decade, if not longer, for any commercial flying job to start paying itself off.

#39 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:12 AM

I think I stated in the most simplest way earlier in this topic, if you're in the industry for the pay you're looking at it for the wrong things.

#40 fluffy

fluffy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:19 AM

View PostAmericanAirFan, on Jun 5 2008, 03:12 PM, said:

I think I stated in the most simplest way earlier in this topic, if you're in the industry for the pay you're looking at it for the wrong things.

More like, if you're looking for a job, you're looking at the wrong industry :lol: