94 replies to this topic

#41 Adam.

Adam.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:23 AM

Ok Monarch i have to tell you, you are so wrong. You think captains only get £80,000 a year? No way, even the careers advisors at school say between £80,000 and £150,000 for a captain, so thats totally wrong.

Another thing is i am 15, not 13/14. I haev started my PPL and currently have 5 hours logged on saturday so if i get one lesson per month im on my way. I have even asked my instructor who has a PPL and CPL under her belt that i can have my hours logged high by 17.

Who said i wouldn't get my Type rating, not once have i mentioned that here, i am going the full way i want to have the best chance at this possible.

And last thing, i am not in it for the money, i am just saying it is very nice to have that much a year, but i love flying, the scenery and the thrill basically, so don't go saying its for the money !

#42 Noble.

Noble.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:34 AM

View PostAdam., on Jun 5 2008, 04:23 PM, said:

Ok Monarch i have to tell you, you are so wrong. You think captains only get £80,000 a year? No way, even the careers advisors at school say between £80,000 and £150,000 for a captain, so thats totally wrong.

Another thing is i am 15, not 13/14. I haev started my PPL and currently have 5 hours logged on saturday so if i get one lesson per month im on my way. I have even asked my instructor who has a PPL and CPL under her belt that i can have my hours logged high by 17.

Who said i wouldn't get my Type rating, not once have i mentioned that here, i am going the full way i want to have the best chance at this possible.

And last thing, i am not in it for the money, i am just saying it is very nice to have that much a year, but i love flying, the scenery and the thrill basically, so don't go saying its for the money !

:lol: This made me laugh ridiculously "even the careers advisors at school say between £80,000 and £150,000 for a captain", careers' advisors don't know anything about become a Pilot, all they have is an out-dated, incorrect fact-file to look up from.

No offence, but you're really quite naive about the whole thing, and it's quite shocking that you're arguing when anyone in their right mind would realise they're talking :lol:, when everyone is telling you different.

#43 prince

prince

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:38 AM

i reckon at the end of the day .. its $$ signs tat keeps us going..as once u clock so much hours...it isnt bout passion anymore :lol: well maybe a little :lol:

#44 Adam.

Adam.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:42 AM

Ok Noble, your getting right on my nerves now:

Your either trying to look all good by saying you know everything, and saying you know more than an actual pilot and my careers advisors.
Or you are trying to make me look stupid and young when i am not, i am putting forward valid points that are totally true otherwise i wouldn't be saying them. I don't know what you are talking about saying im talking :lol: because i am not. :lol:

Edited by Adam., 05 June 2008 - 10:42 AM.

#45 Visionary

Visionary

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:49 AM

SFO, year 3 with Thomas Cook on the A320/A330, average take home around 3900 GBP

Which is what, £70,000 a year pre tax?

Edited by samdaflyer, 05 June 2008 - 10:49 AM.

#46 Noble.

Noble.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:50 AM

View PostAdam., on Jun 5 2008, 04:42 PM, said:

Ok Noble, your getting right on my nerves now:

Your either trying to look all good by saying you know everything, and saying you know more than an actual pilot and my careers advisors.
Or you are trying to make me look stupid and young when i am not, i am putting forward valid points that are totally true otherwise i wouldn't be saying them. I don't know what you are talking about saying im talking :lol: because i am not. :lol:

Your valid points are totally true, in the eyes of your Careers Advisor, and in the process have proven to us that they're telling you complete rubbish.

I know numerous Pilots, from numerous Places around the World, flying for numerous Airlines, all of which pretty much confirm you're talking crap, in terms of what's the now in the aviation industry.

#47 fluffy

fluffy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:02 AM

View PostAdam., on Jun 5 2008, 04:23 PM, said:

Ok Monarch i have to tell you, you are so wrong.

No, you're wrong. One of our family friends is a Captain with Monarch (as you're probably interested he used to fly 757's but has recently moved over onto the A320/1 fleet) and he doesn't earn that much (in respect to the 80-120k you're quoting).

Face the facts and admit you were wrong, do you think any airline is going to take somebody on who won't listen to advice from people who actually know what they're on about?

Edited by fluff, 05 June 2008 - 11:03 AM.

#48 cactidust

cactidust

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:05 PM

What's with the airline thing anyway? I bet you there are just as or more opportunities to fly business jets, non-SLF and the likes; for sometimes better family life, better wage and flying too. Considered the RAF?

That's where your likely to be able to somewhat woddle your doc-3822 in their face. :lol:

#49 Adam.

Adam.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:18 PM

I've looked into the RAF, my vision isn't 20/20 and i have spoken to an RAF tech and he told me so don't go starting a flame war like you did with the thomas cook thing. I am not saying  am defo going to choose thomas cook, no way! My options are open, i'll take any opportunity to fly :lol:

Now this is the last post in this topic because it is becoming ridiculous! CAN A MOD LOCK THIS PLEASE

Edited by Adam., 05 June 2008 - 12:19 PM.

#50 Noble.

Noble.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:23 PM

View PostAdam., on Jun 5 2008, 06:18 PM, said:

Now this is the last post in this topic because I'm ridiculous! CAN A MOD LOCK THIS PLEASE

Hear-Hear.

#51 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:31 PM

View PostNoble., on Jun 5 2008, 06:23 PM, said:

Now this is the last post in this topic because I'm ridiculous! CAN A MOD LOCK THIS PLEASE

Hear-Hear.
:lol: :lol:  

Did he actually type that, or did you edit the quote? :hrmm:

#52 fluffy

fluffy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:32 PM

Now this is the last post in this topic because it is becoming ridiculous! CAN A MOD LOCK THIS PLEASE

Why should this topic be locked? All that's happened is you've got sour grapes over being incorrect. It's a useful thread and just because you're upset about having your 'facts' ripped to shreds, it doesn't mean that any rules have been broken therefore warranting this being closed.

Grow up!  :lol:

Edited by fluff, 05 June 2008 - 12:33 PM.

#53 Captain-Amar

Captain-Amar

Screenshot Hotshot of 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:37 PM

I have been reading this for some while now. Pretty funny actually. But this is not the forum to ask/tell these questions/quotes. Adam, the quote's do seem a little steep. Its highest ive read. If you or anyone here really is serious about this, I suggest you join a forum where real pilots come. I did a few months ago (airworks) and I have learned allot more there in 1 week then here in the aviation department in prolly over a year.  I have heard of a site called Pprun? something like that. Thats where pilots tell you how the (any particilar sitution) is at that point and have the most actualy information. + You can ask personally whars the best thing to do regarding education, hear what other pilots did. Asking here, you can almost expect the reactions you get from people. Noble is right though, Its pretty hard out there.

#54 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:42 PM

Adam, the best thing you can do is to have an open mind, read all the replies (especially Nobles's) and take onboard what they are saying.  That way you will have a more realistic view of what you need to do in the next 10 years to achieve your dreams.  

I guarantee, everybody on this forum want to see you back here in 10 years with the stripes on your shoulder!  The best advise you can get is probably from people on here, forget the career advisor at school!

#55 Adam.

Adam.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:43 PM

I am pprune just i never visit it.

#56 cactidust

cactidust

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:34 PM

Just keep your options open, you have too. Make sure you choose educational/course/university options that are going to be useful to fall back on if you don't end up doing what you want.

Have you thought about non-SLF and GA/BIZ flying?

#57 spitfir3

spitfir3

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:51 PM

View PostNQYGuy, on Jun 5 2008, 01:34 PM, said:

Just keep your options open, you have too. Make sure you choose educational/course/university options that are going to be useful to fall back on if you don't end up doing what you want.

Have you thought about non-SLF and GA/BIZ flying?

Same thing really. Not easy to get a job in anyway! Even flying a little turbo-props - most low hour pilots will be desparate for anything.

#58 JG1324

JG1324

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:25 PM

View Postfluff, on Jun 5 2008, 01:32 PM, said:

Why should this topic be locked? All that's happened is you've got sour grapes over being incorrect. It's a useful thread and just because you're upset about having your 'facts' ripped to shreds, it doesn't mean that any rules have been broken therefore warranting this being closed.

He created the Topic. He can get a mod to lock it when Ever he pleases.

#59 Jebus

Jebus

formerly xAndyy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:41 PM

View PostChief_Bean, on Jun 3 2008, 06:36 PM, said:

View PostNoble., on Jun 3 2008, 06:30 PM, said:

View PostAdam., on Jun 3 2008, 06:23 PM, said:

I know that, the funds are fine i know loadsa ways to become a pilot especially CTC. It' about £60,000 but they give everything from PPL to ATPL, all in new zealand! Then you get a GUARANTEED PLACE in Thomas Cook.

What I'm saying is, in 3/4 years time, it's very likely there'll be no need for Sponsorships or Loans, because there'll be enough Pilots applying whom have the money themselves; at least that's whats started happening now.

Then you get a GUARANTEED PLACE in Thomas Cook.

Don't be ridiculous, there's no such thing as a guaranteed place, especially not from a School like CTC, I mean, FTE and OAT don't even put absurd things like that.

If you actually read their website, it states,

"All our graduates are usually offered the opportunity of full time employment with our partner airlines"

If you read that carefully enough, you'll see that you're not even guaranteed employment, nevermind with TCX.
:lol: Good luck getting into CTC anyway :lol:
I found out about CTC too. I asked them what airlines they can get me into (as a joke) and they said they can me flying 320's for BA..

#60 fluffy

fluffy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:54 PM

View PostJG1324, on Jun 5 2008, 08:25 PM, said:

View Postfluff, on Jun 5 2008, 01:32 PM, said:

He created the Topic.

So what? This isn't a private thread - he's created it on a public forum and until the staff decide it's no longer appropriate, he shouldn't have any say over what happens to it.