- - - - -

Takes the fun out of it - phpvms

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#1 Jambone

Jambone

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:34 AM

Is anyone else bored with the amount of phpvms airlines coming out - seeing a new VA come out used to be great, there used to be something that really set it apart from the rest, but now it's just the same old crap new name - really starting to take the fun out of it..

Anyone else agree?

#2 PilotCallum

PilotCallum

Private Pilot - VFR

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

I agree, however I can't slate the work nabeel put into it and it is a great free programme. However I will say I am getting slightly bored of the amount of airlines using it, and also I feel there isn't much information on the airlines, just seems like a login, register or roster and I like to read a lot of information about the airline before joining it so I know what i'm letting myself in for.

#3 majesticair

majesticair

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

Couldn't agree more, although I'm guilty of the same crime, and the software is great, it probably shows you how sometimes payware can actually benefit a community.

#4 Jamie_Lightwing

Jamie_Lightwing

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:44 AM

Ok, I kinda agree with you in a way as there are lots of airlines that are the same and the only difference is the header on the site. But... what if it was done properly, there is alot of information, a training section with lots of quality material, the site is skinned well.

Basicaly, would a quality VA (you know all of the ones that are out fly uk, BAvirtual ect.) that is based on PHPvms work?

#5 turbulence

turbulence

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

Proprietary coding always wins out, IMO.

#6 Jambone

Jambone

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

Agreed, if you custom code it, you know what you're doing, you can craft it to how you want it.

Breathe/FlyUK work so well because they're crafted to reach their aims and have continually been added to and built apon, so no in short, a PHPvms version, even done well - would not work/be as successful.

Edited by Jambone, 22 April 2009 - 11:51 AM.

#7 Boeing737NextGen

Boeing737NextGen

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:56 AM

I think it's amazing what PHPVMS is doing, but isn't it following the same path VAFS took when it first came out - lots of crappy airlines starting, with no intention of running long-time, and then Nabeel has to make the product payware, to stop it. This also takes out even more fun on the airlines that do put the time into it (ie, VJetBlue, Majestic Air just to name a few).

It would be good if it didn't suffer the same fate as VAFS.

#8 Toyuko

Toyuko

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

What about other systems like VAbase or VATools haven't we seen a enough of them lately.

Seriously who cares about what systems VA's have its not about what system a VA is on but rather how the VA is managed by the staff if the VA is improperly run the VA fails.

#9 Jambone

Jambone

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:24 PM

View PostToyuko, on Apr 22 2009, 07:21 PM, said:

What about other systems like VAbase or VATools haven't we seen a enough of them lately.

Seriously who cares about what systems VA's have its not about what system a VA is on but rather how the VA is managed by the staff if the VA is improperly run the VA fails.
Which is why I'm suggesting only make a VA if you can custom code it, otherwise it'll just be 'one of the pack' and will lose interest quickly.

Anyway, I include the above products in the argument too, and whilst it's about management to a degree - I as a pilot always look at what's available on the site. Heck if you confronted some of the VATSIM staff and had that attitude in mind, you wouldn't fly VATSIM.

#10 /home/fsw_member

/home/fsw_member

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

View PostJambone, on Apr 22 2009, 07:24 PM, said:

View PostToyuko, on Apr 22 2009, 07:21 PM, said:

Which is why I'm suggesting only make a VA if you can custom code it, otherwise it'll just be 'one of the pack' and will lose interest quickly.

Anyway, I include the above products in the argument too, and whilst it's about management to a degree - I as a pilot always look at what's available on the site. Heck if you confronted some of the VATSIM staff and had that attitude in mind, you wouldn't fly VATSIM.

I stated before 'phpvms' would get repetative!...........
Its a fantastic piece of scripting but I think he missed the point of intergrating(the easy way!)
Intergrating and cross coding can be hard at the best of times but its do-able with the likes of vatools=vabase!
Intergrating works best as 'black and white', so when templates are involved it gets messy!

Just out of curiosity, what system/s are you using 'jambone'?

#11 Jambone

Jambone

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:36 PM

View PostPhil..., on Apr 22 2009, 08:34 PM, said:

Its a fantastic piece of scripting but I think he missed the point of intergrating(the easy way!)
Intergrating and cross coding can be hard at the best of times but its do-able with the likes of vatools=vabase!
Intergrating works best as 'black and white', so when templates are involved it gets messy!

Custom coding it mate :hrmm:

#12 Continental180

Continental180

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

Well i am actually working on a airline script. Includes complete flight search, boarding passes, and confirmation numbers and such..

but i wouldnt expect it to release intill the summer.

Edited by Continental180, 22 April 2009 - 02:41 PM.

#13 ContrailChaser

ContrailChaser

May '10 Screenshot Hotshot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

My favorite website of all time for a VA was West Express'. I would like to see more original designs like theirs. Too bad their gone you can't see what I'm talking about. :hrmm:

#14 /home/fsw_member

/home/fsw_member

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

View PostJambone, on Apr 22 2009, 08:36 PM, said:

Good stuff man, your va sure looks nice, take your time with it! :hrmm:

#15 Jambone

Jambone

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:46 PM

View PostPhil..., on Apr 22 2009, 08:43 PM, said:

View PostJambone, on Apr 22 2009, 08:36 PM, said:

Good stuff man, your va sure looks nice, take your time with it! :hrmm:
Thanks, will do ;)

#16 /home/fsw_member

/home/fsw_member

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

View PostContinental180, on Apr 22 2009, 08:40 PM, said:

Well i am actually working on a airline script. Includes complete flight search, boarding passes, and confirmation numbers and such..

take note boys and girls.  Tyler is back in town lol.
your work speaks for itself m8, so am sure it will be fantastic (payware/freeware) either way!

#17 Continental180

Continental180

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

View PostPhil..., on Apr 22 2009, 03:48 PM, said:

your work speaks for itself m8, so am sure it will be fantastic (payware/freeware) either way!

lol. yeah it was designed for flyBlue, but i don't have time to complete the airline itself, so im just going to complete, and fully customize my software, and then it will be up for download. don't no if its payware or freeware yet.

ill post more information in the coming weeks regarding this. =]

#18 nw757

nw757

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:52 PM

View PostContinental180, on Apr 22 2009, 02:50 PM, said:

View PostPhil..., on Apr 22 2009, 03:48 PM, said:

lol. yeah it was designed for flyBlue, but i don't have time to complete the airline itself, so im just going to complete, and fully customize my software, and then it will be up for download. don't no if its payware or freeware yet.

ill post more information in the coming weeks regarding this. =]
Looking forward to hearing more. So far, I am interested.

Edited by UAVCEO, 22 April 2009 - 02:53 PM.

#19 Paul Marcus

Paul Marcus

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:57 PM

I hate ALL of these programs that make it easier for VA's to pop up.

#20 JordanFarmer

JordanFarmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

Honestly, i know exactly where you are coming from paul, wayyy to many new VA's are popping up and they all just seem boring, or are really no good whatsoever. And its nice to see you back Callum :hrmm: lol