- - - - -

Takes the fun out of it - phpvms

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#41 /home/fsw_member

/home/fsw_member

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:35 PM

View PostParachutes, on Apr 22 2009, 11:29 PM, said:

Agreed. However, that is why this poll exists; does it not? If they didn't know before; they certainly do now.

I find that most new VA's are extremely aggressive in what they want to offer. They put excess pressure on themselves to get their project through to fruition at the speed of sound. When they find out that those looking for Virtual (airline) homes are indeed a fickle crowd, they get discouraged, lick their wounds, then scrap the project.

My advice, for what it is worth, is to start small and evolve (speaking technologically, not superficially). If that means an off the shelf solution, the go get it!

This is why I am in favor of FREE hosting(php, mysql, apache, free emails )etc.
Test the waters! If you cannot complete at least 70% of the VA(site, fleet paint etc etc) on your own, the you will VAIL!

#42 LukeK

LukeK

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

View PostPhil..., on Apr 22 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

You get what you pay for. You can't reasonably expect to get something that has a real cost for nothing, unless you give up something in another area (popup ads, low reliability).

Test the waters! If you cannot complete at least 70% of the VA(site, fleet paint etc etc) on your own, the you will VAIL!

Agreed. It's laughable to see folks who are seeking staff to essentially do all the work for them.

Cheers!

Luke

#43 SmartJet

SmartJet

Private Pilot - VFR

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:33 PM

View PostLukeK, on Apr 22 2009, 06:11 PM, said:

View PostPhil..., on Apr 22 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

You get what you pay for. You can't reasonably expect to get something that has a real cost for nothing, unless you give up something in another area (popup ads, low reliability).

Agreed. It's laughable to see folks who are seeking staff to essentially do all the work for them.

Cheers!

Luke
Well it's guys like Metro Air that sort the work out evenly... But some people are asking for like a webmaster, cfo, coo, vp, etc. What does that leave the CEO to do him self?

#44 03SVTCobra

03SVTCobra

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:46 PM

Those of you that are to say people without coding skills shouldn't own a VA are making ridiculous statements. I don't know how to code, but I do have the means and the work ethic to bring a good VA to the world.

VAbase helps people like me who don't have the time to learn code to create a VA.

#45 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

View PostJambone, on Apr 22 2009, 12:34 PM, said:

Is anyone else bored with the amount of phpvms airlines coming out - seeing a new VA come out used to be great, there used to be something that really set it apart from the rest, but now it's just the same old crap new name - really starting to take the fun out of it..

Anyone else agree?

It's because little children that have no money. Finally have a free VA Management System, YAY KIDS, let's start a Virtual Airline YAY!

That's what it's like

But I mean, no matter what you say, we FSW veteran members, know what the real and good VAs are. Shall we list them?

Cloud Nine
Metroair

All of the VAs based off a real airline

Breathe
EuropaVA
FlyEire

that's about it.

#46 RWY 15

RWY 15

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:23 PM

View PostSmartJet, on Apr 22 2009, 05:33 PM, said:

Well it's guys like Metro Air that sort the work out evenly... But some people are asking for like a webmaster, cfo, coo, vp, etc. What does that leave the CEO to do him self?

Metro Air built a team. They surrounded themselves with people that had different talents, and cultivated that talent into a meaningful project / product.

When it is a labor of love, it is not work; it is fun.

#47 TheBigTurkey

TheBigTurkey

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:44 PM

This topic was started by me in a different topic,but yes,I do agree.

#48 SmartJet

SmartJet

Private Pilot - VFR

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:14 PM

View PostRiley, on Apr 22 2009, 10:44 PM, said:

This topic was started by me in a different topic,but yes,I do agree.
wth.. Did that make any since to anyone?

#49 roboa

roboa

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:44 AM

View PostPhil..., on Apr 22 2009, 11:05 PM, said:

View Postroboa, on Apr 22 2009, 10:59 PM, said:

It's my opinion that if a VA spends the time creating the templates for phpVMS then good on them. It has the facilities to allow for added pages and expansion as well as complete customisation. It's down to the VA really whether they use the default design or create a completley new design themselves.

We are not talking about new templates, if you design a new template it's still going to look like phpvms due to the 2 col layout structure!

But it doesn't have to be like that. You are able to move around the code and manipulate it so that it isn't just a 2 column structure. You could even put it into the template displayed for Fly blue earlier in this thread.

#50 Wayne2224

Wayne2224

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:04 AM

PHPVMS is a great system, for all the work nabeel has done is great, and for him to not make it some payware, hes a good person. And to be honest the sites that pop up over night will downfall after a week or so.

So i don't believe its right for everyone bash anyone about making a virtual airline, yes i have one and i love what im doing. Yes im looking for people to help me with the site but on the other hand i have done everything with my site aireastvirtual.com (liveries, website fixed the template,graphics). There have been people that have helped me along the way yes, but this is because im not the greatest at coding with php, java, and other sorts. As well as my airplanes are not the greatest looking like metro airs or any other real virtual airline (not saying metro is real).

But what im trying to say is the people that you see putting time and effort into a virtual airline that get it started from the ground up is not just a joke as long as they put some real time and effort into it. Metro air has been around for a long time and yes they have a great community and they are using everyone's skills to the fullest. But in a virtual airline its what really matters to everyone and this is the truth. How well they are organized, how the site looks, what the livery's are and look like, and whether or not they have forums and people to help you along the way with problems and other situations.

So just because someone pops a airline up overnight and they show the compassion to get it going and have fun with it i think we should take that into consideration. They care about what they are doing how things work for others and how they look. Or at least that's how i see things. So if you don't agree with me thats fine you have your own thoughts as well. Were all humans except for the forums its a computer, lol

Edited by Wayne2224, 24 April 2009 - 09:05 AM.

#51 /home/fsw_member

/home/fsw_member

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:32 AM

people will get help from members if they have somthing concrete to show. jottin your idea's down on paper is a good way to start! consider, policy's, manual's, 2 main colors + a highlight, a route plan, a fleet that will work with your routes, give your va a startup storyline maybe, consider what options are availible to you, and from that what you can achieve yourself(without help). Research the web for material, don't even consider a website until you have some content for it! Ive done website's for people where ive had to leave 'insert content here'. NOT GOOD!

If you have a good startup structure, people will help!

note: a full website can take up to 2 months to code, providing the content is availible to the webmaster!

remember webmasters are NOT CEO's they can only produce the content you have given them and dependin how good he is he will build on your content and add some nice features of his own!

Good luck,

#52 CaptainTim

CaptainTim

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

I think some of you might find this of interest

http://www.bavirtual...k/about/history

#53 CreativeM

CreativeM

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:15 PM

For your infomation, Breathe Airways isnt based off a real airline or anything of the sort....

#54 Chris Doherty.

Chris Doherty.

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:20 PM

I love custom coded sites tbh. Theres nothing like getting an airline together thats exactly what you want, not similar or almost what you want. There arn't many around unfortuneately; but those that are, are all successfull.

Thats my take on it anyway.

Edited by Chris Doherty., 24 April 2009 - 12:21 PM.

#55 PilotCallum

PilotCallum

Private Pilot - VFR

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

View PostChris Doherty., on Apr 24 2009, 06:20 PM, said:

I love custom coded sites tbh. Theres nothing like getting an airline together thats exactly what you want, not similar or almost what you want. There arn't many around unfortuneately; but those that are, are all successfull.

Off topic but....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRIS!  :hrmm:

#56 majesticair

majesticair

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

View PostPilotCallum, on Apr 24 2009, 12:39 PM, said:

Off topic but....

;) Im called Chris and its my birthday today too! :hrmm:

#57 Jambone

Jambone

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

Damnn, weird...

Will send personal gratz on msn :hrmm:

#58 PilotCallum

PilotCallum

Private Pilot - VFR

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:06 PM

View PostMajesticAir, on Apr 24 2009, 06:58 PM, said:

View PostPilotCallum, on Apr 24 2009, 12:39 PM, said:

Off topic but....

:o Im called Chris and its my birthday today too! ;)

I knew that, it was aimed at you too  :hrmm:

#59 Yann T.

Yann T.

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:34 AM

View PostDingo1, on Apr 24 2009, 12:15 PM, said:

For your infomation, Breathe Airways isnt based off a real airline or anything of the sort....
We know that Chris, did anyone here say it was a real airline? no

#60 fredrick_thy_grt

fredrick_thy_grt

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:04 PM

View PostPeter797, on Apr 22 2009, 07:56 PM, said:

It's because little children that have no money. Finally have a free VA Management System, YAY KIDS, let's start a Virtual Airline YAY!

That's what it's like

Those little children also take parts of different airlines and make there own.  :hrmm:

Yes indeed, I am guilty of using vabase but its with good reason. I am not pro with php and I have had Snapjet in the works for :hrmm: near a year now. I went through several web designers who all flaked. I have vabase, so while I learn and slowly build a site phpvms will just have to do.