- - - - -

Takes the fun out of it - phpvms

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#21 /home/fsw_member

/home/fsw_member

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

View PostPaul Marcus, on Apr 22 2009, 08:57 PM, said:

I hate ALL of these programs that make it easier for VA's to pop up.

View PostMr T. FOOL!, on Apr 22 2009, 09:01 PM, said:

Honestly, i know exactly where you are coming from paul, wayyy to many new VA's are popping up and they all just seem boring, or are really no good whatsoever. And its nice to see you back Callum :hrmm: lol

F'n hypocrite's! :hrmm:

#22 Continental180

Continental180

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

View PostTrev D., on Apr 22 2009, 03:43 PM, said:

My favorite website of all time for a VA was West Express'. I would like to see more original designs like theirs. Too bad their gone you can't see what I'm talking about. :hrmm:

well if you were wondering if my originality with the software will be met, this was the original temp that i created for flyblue.
(thats the flight search to the right)

Posted Image

#23 nw757

nw757

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

Impressive work!  :hrmm:

Edited by UAVCEO, 22 April 2009 - 03:21 PM.

#24 Jambone

Jambone

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

Thread Hijack and takeover complete :hrmm:

#25 turbulence

turbulence

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

Anyone can Photoshop a layout. Put it on the web, then we can really analyze it's success.

#26 Arm Out The Heli

Arm Out The Heli

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

Go put the kettle on as this post will bore the heck out of you.

phpVMS is amazing in the composition of its scripting, though the bashing around it has had makes it look 'poor' and for 'newbies' that do not have a clue about scripting etc and the most they can do is replace the header. Now, I fail to agree with this. Personally I've fiddled around with phpVMS the other day in preperation for a VA and could do so much with it and build upon Nabeels' magnificant coding easily — even my not-so-advanced level of PHP managed to squeeze out a forum, banner rotater managed through Admin CP etcetc simply byseeing exactly what Nabeel made, how he made it then went on to build on it.

How such an advanced script intergrates into custom templates so easily is fantastic. Definetly a step forward for building Virtual Airlines, though unfortunately at the same time it takes a step back in the fun by chucking everything needed at the Virtual Airline along with default content. Sadly I've not even given Virtual Airline websites a chance to finish loading after seeing it looks like phpVms as it all looks the same. If phpVMS is to advance further, I hope Nabeel along with a few others would be happy to give up their time to create 'add-on' themes for Virtual Airlines that look different from the current 2-column fixed width design. This would help balance out the bland design currently seen on so many VAs and would at least create a sence of creativity if the Virtual Airline was to build apon it: even if they were to redo colours, images, positioning of content (you know... adding 3 columns into pages, making 'category' pages with clickable images through to sub-content etc).

That would be great for the VA community. Nabeel has done plenty so far and has really helped new-starts get into action, learn about Virtual Airlines and progress themselves though I do feel that such a script is a little too advanced for running a Virtual Airline and ultimately takes the fun and satisfaction from loading up a website and thinking to yourself that it is unique, stands out and looks as if it has a community behind it (e.g. FlyUK).

Unfortunately until that time it looks like most of these VA's are all owned by phpVMS with small editing take place. As said previously, many are just a Roster, Live Map etc... all standard in phpVMS and don't look different apart from text in the heading being changed to be custom to their Virtual Airline.

The script Nabeel produced is fantastic for the community and full credit & respect goes out to him for it; though I do feel more themes etc. being released, along with options of laying different content out would go a long way to boosting its ever-expanding success.. I say this in hope that Virtual Airlines currently running phpVMS do attempt to customise it in their own way if they haven't done so already!

OK, kettle is boiled now.

#27 Continental180

Continental180

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

View Postturbulence, on Apr 22 2009, 04:23 PM, said:

Anyone can Photoshop a layout. Put it on the web, then we can really analyze it's success.

lol! you think i photoshoped that? its online, its just in a hidden folder because i was working on it, and don't want the layout/images stolen.

its legit though. i don't photoshop layouts.

#28 turbulence

turbulence

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:27 PM

View PostContinental180, on Apr 22 2009, 03:25 PM, said:

View Postturbulence, on Apr 22 2009, 04:23 PM, said:

lol! you think i photoshoped that? its online, its just in a hidden folder because i was working on it, and don't want the layout/images stolen.

its legit though. i don't photoshop layouts.

Relax,

I didn't say you did. However, playing the law of averages, we see more Photoshoped layouts here than we actually see completed websites.

If you don't want the layout stolen, then why did you produce an image of it?

#29 Continental180

Continental180

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

View Postturbulence, on Apr 22 2009, 04:27 PM, said:

Relax,

I didn't say you did. However, playing the law of averages, we see more Photoshoped layouts here than we actually see completed websites.

im pretty relaxed. reason i took an image of it, so people don't have direct access to the folder.

is this better then?

Posted Image

#30 /home/fsw_member

/home/fsw_member

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:39 PM

Directed at: Arm Out The Heli

yes the scripting is fantastic! but as you know VA's are all about origionality, at least where the 'look' is concerened! That is ALL a VA has to offer if its using the likes of phpvms. I think hands down the system is fab, and If I was to start a VA i would most prob use it myself, with some major tweaks!
3 Col layouts don't work for a VA, you need a combination of 1, 2, 3 layouts for it to work!

#31 ContrailChaser

ContrailChaser

May '10 Screenshot Hotshot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

View PostContinental180, on Apr 22 2009, 04:47 PM, said:

View PostTrev D., on Apr 22 2009, 03:43 PM, said:

My favorite website of all time for a VA was West Express'. I would like to see more original designs like theirs. Too bad their gone you can't see what I'm talking about. :hrmm:

well if you were wondering if my originality with the software will be met, this was the original temp that i created for flyblue.
(thats the flight search to the right)

Posted Image

Very nice, and original. :hrmm:

#32 /home/fsw_member

/home/fsw_member

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

View PostContinental180, on Apr 22 2009, 09:35 PM, said:

View Postturbulence, on Apr 22 2009, 04:27 PM, said:

Relax,

im pretty relaxed. reason i took an image of it, so people don't have direct access to the folder.

is this better then?

Posted Image

I don't know the guy very well, but I do know him some time.
I would like to say his work (live) and otherwise has been very good!
I wasnt a fan of the origional template, but it was origional and layed out well.

I don't us PSD myself, instead make what I need, when I need it!

#33 roboa

roboa

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:59 PM

It's my opinion that if a VA spends the time creating the templates for phpVMS then good on them. It has the facilities to allow for added pages and expansion as well as complete customisation. It's down to the VA really whether they use the default design or create a completley new design themselves.

#34 RWY 15

RWY 15

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

Hmmm. My preference is custom coded systems; but apparently I am in the minority.

#35 /home/fsw_member

/home/fsw_member

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:05 PM

View Postroboa, on Apr 22 2009, 10:59 PM, said:

It's my opinion that if a VA spends the time creating the templates for phpVMS then good on them. It has the facilities to allow for added pages and expansion as well as complete customisation. It's down to the VA really whether they use the default design or create a completley new design themselves.

We are not talking about new templates, if you design a new template it's still going to look like phpvms due to the 2 col layout structure!

View PostParachutes, on Apr 22 2009, 11:02 PM, said:

Hmmm. My preference is custom coded systems; but apparently I am in the minority.

??
huh?
Do you even know how long/time it takes to custom code a system?

#36 RWY 15

RWY 15

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

View PostPhil..., on Apr 22 2009, 03:05 PM, said:

??
huh?

Absolutely. I am a web developer the specializes in DBMS and CMS integration through PHP. (Like everyone else, I suppose)

However, the question is not directed towards my accomplishments, it is directed towards an opinion of what is currently in the marketplace.

Quick and dirty, get an off the shelf solution. If you want something done right to suit your requirements, find someone to do the work for you.

Agreed?

#37 /home/fsw_member

/home/fsw_member

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:12 PM

View PostParachutes, on Apr 22 2009, 11:08 PM, said:

View PostPhil..., on Apr 22 2009, 03:05 PM, said:

??
huh?

Absolutely. I am a web developer the specializes in DBMS and CMS integration through PHP. (Like everyone else, I suppose)

However, the question is not directed towards my accomplishments, it is directed towards an opinion of what is currently in the marketplace.

Quick and dirty, get an off the shelf solution. If you want something done right to suit your requirements, find someone to do the work for you.

Agreed?

Im afraid NOT!
This is a hobby! where do people get sidetracked into thinking its a place to make money?

#38 RWY 15

RWY 15

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

View PostPhil..., on Apr 22 2009, 03:12 PM, said:

Im afraid NOT!
This is a hobby! where do people get sidetracked into thinking its a place to make money?

Indeed, Virtual Airlines are a hobby. However, if his requirements are not something that you can get in an off the shelf solution, what other option does he have? If he is compelled to make his vision a reality, and does not want to undertake the task of doing it himself, then the only other solution is to go into the marketplace and find someone to do the work for him (at a price).

#39 /home/fsw_member

/home/fsw_member

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

View PostParachutes, on Apr 22 2009, 11:16 PM, said:

View PostPhil..., on Apr 22 2009, 03:12 PM, said:

Im afraid NOT!

Indeed, Virtual Airlines are a hobby. However, if his requirements are not something that you can get in an off the shelf solution, what other option does he have? If he is compelled to make his vision a reality, and does not want to undertake the task of doing it himself, then the only other solution is to go into the marketplace and find someone to do the work for him (at a price).

Indeed I agree,
I don't think people who want to start a semi-sucessful VA know hats in store! (web design, coding, general management, forum updates, the list goes on) having a desire to start a VA won't get you far!

#40 RWY 15

RWY 15

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

Agreed. However, that is why this poll exists; does it not? If they didn't know before; they certainly do now.

I find that most new VA's are extremely aggressive in what they want to offer. They put excess pressure on themselves to get their project through to fruition at the speed of sound. When they find out that those looking for Virtual (airline) homes are indeed a fickle crowd, they get discouraged, lick their wounds, then scrap the project.

My advice, for what it is worth, is to start small and evolve (speaking technologically, not superficially). If that means an off the shelf solution, the go get it!