- - - - -

Just stop...with the crap VAs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
225 replies to this topic

#21 Alaska_MD-83

Alaska_MD-83

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

Does it bloody matter who it is aimed at? I was going to make one of these, because I am sick of visiting this part of the forum and seeing like 10 new VAs opening up. It seems as if my predictions for 2009 are coming true.

#22 dazwalsh

dazwalsh

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:42 PM

Come on guys its a hobby, and people are perfectly entitled to create a va and post it here, who cares if its rubbish, its hardly being pushed down your neck now is it?. You click on once to see what it is, recoil in horror and then exit the topic. If you were being forced to spend 2 weeks flying for the bad ones i could sympathise.

#23 /home/fsw_member

/home/fsw_member

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

Everyone is entitled to create a va, we all started with similar creations but maybe we were not so annoying about it.9ie: creating a new va because you want to shake things up a little.
I don't agree active members in the va forums should be put forth to moderate these forums but I do think the admin should use a Moderator to block any VA from posting unless the VA is at least 75% complete.
The va section should not be a discussion board but rather a place to link to existing and operational VA's.

#24 .Sam.

.Sam.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:52 PM

VA from posting unless the VA is at least 75% complete.
Totaly total agree, it should be used for news and stuff, like when breath airways got a 777 example, even in the top5 now there are some stupid posts that should be in Off topic.

Maybe its worth creating a subforum to virtual airlines, website help or summin :S

Edited by .Sam., 08 June 2009 - 06:02 PM.

#25 dazwalsh

dazwalsh

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:54 PM

thats not a bad idea, a VA development forum of some sort

#26 dover_6811

dover_6811

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:07 PM

Excellent idea!

#27 03SVTCobra

03SVTCobra

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:44 PM

I may open mine back up some day...just to make you happy.

#28 fredrick_thy_grt

fredrick_thy_grt

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

So, SnapJet is a crap VA because I'm using phpvms, however backstage I am working my :hrmm: off to learn php and make this new site work for us?

Is that pretty much what your saying?

I think if somebody wants to make a crap va more power to them, nobody told you that you HAVE to open the thread, read all about them, go to there site, join..any of that. Just my own personal opinion..

#29 Paul Marcus

Paul Marcus

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:04 PM

We need to stop making it so easy to for people to make VA's. VAbase, phpvms, VAFS, EPIREP have destroyed the community. Stop giving out free help and favors and advice.

#30 JeremyB

JeremyB

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:23 PM

In regards to phpVms, I know my airline is using it....but we don't want to  :hrmm: its a substitute until our webmaster gets his act straight, a poor substitute I know but its all we've got now. I hope nobody thinks less of Cirrus Air for this.

#31 FlightSimmer0724

FlightSimmer0724

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

PHPVMS isn't bad... the latest update for it is superb and has good stuff..

#32 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:30 PM

View PostJambone, on Jun 8 2009, 04:28 PM, said:

People, stop asking if this was aimed at your VA. It was aimed at the community, and applies to all VAs, some can compete..others can't, surely you can distinguish :hrmm:

About starting somewhere...the ideal place to start would be joining a successful va, learn how works, then attempt something similar that looks good.

My main point was that there are too many. If we got rid of the appalling ones, it might be seen as less of a terrible chapter for the virtual flying community.

The only problem is FSW is only a small fraction of the entire FS/VA community..  so most of the people who make VA's will never hear your rant.

Anyways, I agree with you, there is way too much supply and far from enough demand..

#33 N318CC

N318CC

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:04 PM

You can tell the amount of simmers without VAs is rapidly decreasing.  Over the past year I have been looking at MetroAir Virtuals newest pilots.  I the beginning I noticed they got about 2-4 new pilots a day...now they are averaging one a day.

The thing I just don't get is WHY people join .webs.com VAs.  I will admit I started out have a horrible .webs.com VA and I had over 50* pilots join!  Cant these people notice there are better VAs out there!

*In two months with very little advertising

#34 Toyuko

Toyuko

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:34 PM

I agree with your statement but disagree with PHPvms, You can't just attack the soft where What if you say VABASE va's a popping up you can't just attack the soft where good PHPvms power VA's usually make modifications to there set up like a new site Skin for Example.

#35 Kreu

Kreu

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:18 AM

Agreed, but, I think that what he meant was more on the lines of utterly blunt phpvms VA's who don't even care to modify the skin etc. That, I would agree, is an offence. Just to take my example, I started a va (which I have been working on since a year ago). I tried VABase and hired a webdesigner. But when I saw that the results didn't satisfy my expectations, I chose to venture on my own and try my hand at it.

The result? I got a working and customised phpvms system on the background, plus a modified and customised css powering my website. I admit that it may look a bit slack and it does give itself away as being modified freeware - but then again, that's a giant's leap for a person who up to a month or two ago, only knew how to make paragraphs and bold letters in html! However, I must say, the response was nothing short of perfect.

My Conclusion: I take my case (and I know that there are similar ones here) as points of reference to upstart VA's. It DOES take a lot of time and dedication and it DOES put a big strain. However, if you set your mind to it, eventually it pays off. Just remember to be creative and not shy away from trying to learn something new and exploit your resources - freeware, payware or custom - to the maximum possible. So, yes, it is still possible to put up something new and good as long as you DO NOT take it easy on the software! :hrmm:

Cheers all!

#36 ukmatthew

ukmatthew

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:37 AM

Most websites are tack with a big lack of coding knowledge. Most people done even have a clue what happens in a va never mind creating a website. And as if the website isn't important enough then where are you going to end up when you have no idea how to manage it. I agree with whoever said something about free advice and even more agree with the advice etc topic. This place is crammed with useless crap. Maybe a va rating system like the one they use for software and hardware. Have someone non-biased to be able to visit the VA's and give them a rating. Just another idea. I don't think your ever going to stop people creating vas though.

#37 PilotCallum

PilotCallum

Private Pilot - VFR

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:13 AM

James... I'm amazed! You've actually said something I agree with! :hrmm:

#38 Homer09001

Homer09001

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:52 AM

It's easy to sit their and say people shouldn't provide free software for VAs such as PHPVMS but they are giving people an alternative to expensive payware, I'm working on my own VA at the moment, and yes to make your day it's PHPVMS for one reason, it is a simple working base system which has endless ways to customize it and make it unique, if you work hard enough you could completly hide the fact it PHPVMS.

Why do you assume every new VA wants to be the top VA? My VA certainly isn't based on that idea.

Edited by Homer09001, 09 June 2009 - 08:57 AM.

#39 majesticair

majesticair

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:28 AM

View PostHomer09001, on Jun 9 2009, 08:52 AM, said:

It's easy to sit their and say people shouldn't provide free software for VAs such as PHPVMS but they are giving people an alternative to expensive payware, I'm working on my own VA at the moment, and yes to make your day it's PHPVMS for one reason, it is a simple working base system which has endless ways to customize it and make it unique, if you work hard enough you could completly hide the fact it PHPVMS.

Why do you assume every new VA wants to be the top VA? My VA certainly isn't based on that idea.

Because any business aims for the top, its just life. And saying.. "it is a simple working base system which has endless ways to customize it and make it unique" is just an excuse to get by the fact that you don't want to learn PHP. If you were really looking for that you can make a much simpler working system with even more ways to customise it if you custome code one!!! and it doesn't get more unique than that.

#40 .Sam.

.Sam.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:33 AM

I am not getting involved, all i think is its about time FSW gets a web development forum. Just my two pence Has everyone forgot that opening a virtual airlines is like opening a real life business.

Well thats stupid, every business aims to be the best :hrmm:

Also Chris your website looks great cant wait :hrmm:

Edited by .Sam., 09 June 2009 - 09:34 AM.