53 replies to this topic

#1 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:44 AM

Does anybody else notice that this always happens to business class passengers?

The economy class seat configurations are pretty much the same as they used to be 10 or 20 years ago, with few exceptions in several airliners. However, most modern business class configurations give such an absurd and appalling taste to what a window seat should be all about.

Before I get started, don't get me wrong. Im not talking about the service business class passengers receive in-flight as much as Im simply stating some window seats are better off being tagged as aisle.

Here are several examples I came across:

1. Cathay Pacific's "Im turning my back on the view" scene. :P

Posted Image

2. Emirates Airline's "So you won't always stand up to get some food" scene. :hrmm:

Posted Image

Most passengers don't seem to mind or be bothered since theyre more interested in getting to their destination than enjoying the view. But for an aviation enthusiast as myself I hate the fact you have to fight your way through difficulty in order to take a look outside the window. The view is simply the best part about flying, seeing the Earth at over thirty thousand feet is what its all about. And the problem is, this always happens to business class configurations.

Now, THIS is what it should all be about. ;) :hrmm:

#2 03SVTCobra

03SVTCobra

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:41 AM

Those that can afford first class usually don't give a :hrmm: what is going on in the world...unless it relates to making them more money.

#3 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:44 AM

Pretty much what Sheldon said..   business travelers really don't care too much for looking out the windows...   they probably just close the shade and work or sleep...

#4 Guest_°L°_*

Guest_°L°_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:23 AM

In the Emirates shot, the seat behind the seat shown looks good. Just gotta get lucky I guess.

#5 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:47 AM

View PostairWest - CEO, on Jun 20 2009, 01:41 AM, said:

Those that can afford first class usually don't give a :hrmm: what is going on in the world...unless it relates to making them more money.
Nonsense. First of all, please don't generalize. Although its been a long time since I flew on first or business class, I don't think you can relate to all its passengers in that way. :)

Some passengers on an airplane don't tend to care about the view, regardless of which class or section of the aircraft they belong to, simply because theyre probably more concerned about reaching the destination than enjoying the scenery. Usually, its us aviation enthusiasts who complain the most, in addition to several others who are overly critic about a service after paying an incredibly high price to buy a good ticket.

===

NWilkinson: Again, that doesnt make sense. Just because youre in business class does not make you careless for the view. Many people actually complain about it since some of them end up paying thousands of dollars, so they expect a nice view instead of an aisle seat disguised as a window configuration. So the argument pretty much works both ways. Perhaps someone paying for economy wouldnt care because he didn't spend so much money on the seat. ;)

And having said all that, its not like there aren't different methods for people to upgrade themselves to the front end of the cabin every now and then. Thats the whole point of these promotional campaigns such as mileage cards and memberships, etc.

===

°L°: Yeah, the bad window seats occur at alternate rows. :P

I guess it all goes down to doing a bit of research before traveling on the Airbus A380, if you ever plan on using Emirates Airlines.

I found this seat planning of the cabin on one of those aviation websites:

Posted Image

If you ever plan on using a business class seat, make sure you choose the blue rows (odd numbers) since theyre the ones offering the best view. :hrmm:

Edited by Mohammad, 20 June 2009 - 02:54 AM.

#6 RadRig211

RadRig211

Orville Reincarnate

• Members/Edit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:51 AM

Call it a shameless plug, but a window seat on the A380 in the middle of the plane is pretty much worthless thanks to the absolutely massive wing...

Taken on SQ317 LHR-SIN
Posted Image

Also, watch out for the UA 747s: Row 35 is a window seat without a window...gotta love those.

#7 mhockey21

mhockey21

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:00 AM

View PostRadRig211, on Jun 19 2009, 11:51 PM, said:

Call it a shameless plug, but a window seat on the A380 in the middle of the plane is pretty much worthless thanks to the absolutely massive wing...

Taken on SQ317 LHR-SIN
Posted Image

Also, watch out for the UA 747s: Row 35 is a window seat without a window...gotta love those.
That would suck, thats a massive wing to be stuck over.

#8 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:03 AM

^A window seat without a window, priceless! :P

That picture looks like it was taken on the main deck, by the way. I heard that its slightly better at the upper deck, although it is better than nothing. :hrmm:

Its still a lot better than UA's row 35. :hrmm:

#9 aviatordom

aviatordom

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:24 AM

Poor business class configs don't bother me too much, because i've never flown business class! :P  Besides, if I had the choice, I would quite happily choose to sit in the Jumpseat over Business-class, and not have all the fancy extras such 5-course meals, upgraded IFE, pillows, etc. :hrmm:

Agreed, sitting right next to the middle of the wing isn't nice :hrmm:

The worst experience i've had is with easyJet, seat 26F on an A319. If your sitting in the last row of an A319 with a standard seating configuration, you get your own window, but because easyJet obviously add more seats than usual, you don't.

A very chlaustrophobic place to sit, very dark as there is no window, just the cabin wall to stare at, the fuselage begins to taper, meaning that your bag can't go under your seat, and there is a bulkhead right behind making i even more uncomfy!

I managed to strain forward and get some pics though, but you couldn't exactly admire the views whilst having a drink!

Slightly off-topic: A useful tip. When you fly, and you know the weather is forecast to be sunny, work out where the sun is going to be when it moves so that it won't absolutely blind you, stopping you from looking at the ground below, etc.

Edited by A32X, 20 June 2009 - 03:28 AM.

#10 wyoairbus

wyoairbus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:47 AM

the seats themselves look nice, but personally i would be disappointed to pay that much for business class and not get a window seat.

as someone mentioned earlier about a certain row on UA 747s not having a window, i once got bumped to a business class seat on a UA 733 with no window! i was not very happy, i ALWAYS take a window seat, but luckily the row behind me featured double windows, meaning i had a window close to me that i could still have a nice view of the engine.

EDIT - and i actually prefer a mid-wing seat. i love the wingview, especially with the spoilers and flaps, and i usually try to get a seat over the wing myself.

Edited by wyoairbus, 20 June 2009 - 03:48 AM.

#11 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:25 AM

I agree with you Mo, i just landed today from my flight from Calgary on an A330 in buisness class. I had to almost break my neck to see out the inconveniently placed window lol

Cant really complain though, buisness class afterall is, well buisness class :hrmm:

#12 lozzyh

lozzyh

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:09 AM

The window seat without a window.

I used to get claustrophobia when I was little (it's gone now) and whenever we flew we always had to ask for a window seat so I could see out. We double checked with the check-in desk that this was infact a window seat WITH a window. They assured us it was. We get to our seats, it is in fact a wndow seat without a window, just a wall. My parents explained this to the crew but they could not move us, so I ended up having a panic attack on the way home :hrmm:

I still insist on a window seat now, just because I love the view :hrmm:

#13 Tako

Tako

Edited SS Hotshot of 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:21 AM

I'm flying first class to Alaska this summer; honestly, I'm considering giving up my seat for one of the legs just so I can get some decent pictures of the wing. :hrmm:

#14 tikiman06

tikiman06

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:26 AM

Window seats without a window are the biggest rip off. Had one of those on a NWA Airlink SAAB 340 flight between Traverse City, MI and Detroit.

But much more common and almost as bad, are poorly placed seats in respect to the windows. About 2 weeks ago was flying out of ORD on my way back from visiting family in Michigan. Was on a UA Express E-170 and the window was so poorly placed I had to lean waaaay forward to be able to see out of it. It was almost more convenient to look out the window behind me, but I tried to avoid that because I think the people sitting there thought I was peering back at them.

#15 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:41 AM

Am I the only one happy enough just to get a seat?

#16 RadRig211

RadRig211

Orville Reincarnate

• Members/Edit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

View PostDuke, on Jun 20 2009, 08:41 AM, said:

Well, if you're paying for one, then I certainly would say 'yes.'

But then again, you could be referencing the economy and the difficulties of getting a plane ticket with such hard times....but then again, with that - airlines are also lowering prices in general to attract more passengers, profit or not...so its quite hard to say :hrmm:

#17 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:31 PM

@Mohammad:

Well, technically it does, otherwise airlines wouldn't have opted for that configuration...   you have to think of a generic business traveller, not yourself flying business.  Yeah I love window seats (specifically exit row seating) because that's my taste, but that doesn't mean it's shared with a person who flys first or business...   and on long flights, most people leave the shades down so they can rest or watch the movie with out a glare..  same for business and first.  Even on my long flights back and forth between Asia and the USA, the shades were down 95% of the time, only opened them for take off and landing.  When you're at FL370 over the ocean, there isn't anything to see other than water and clouds.  

Off topic though Mohammad, I'm moving to Saudi Arabia (to Rabigh, just north of Jeddah) later next month.

#18 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:43 PM

View PostDuke, on Jun 20 2009, 10:41 AM, said:

Yes. Yes you are. :hrmm: I will settle for nothing less than a window seat if I pay the air fare. If you're a nonrev though I'm sure you would be grateful if you got a seat though :hrmm:

By the way. Avoid window seats past the exit row on Delta's Skywest CRJ-700s (Delta's Skywest is a different seat config than United's Skywest). Because the windows are misaligned and you really have to lean forward to look out the window and it hurts to look for long periods of time!!

I managed to get this shot though...

http://www.jetphotos....php?id=6037192

But if you're going on a Delta Branded Skywest CRJ-700 pick an aisle seat or a window seat forward of the emergency exit or you're screwed.... Trust me my 2:45 hour flight from AUS-SLC was torture.... And to add to that I only committed to that flight so I could get on my precious Delta MD-90 from SLC-SJC. And the onnee dayyyy it was delayed an hour and subbed by a 737-800!!!!

Edited by AmericanAirFan, 20 June 2009 - 01:47 PM.

#19 mhockey21

mhockey21

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

View PostAmericanAirFan, on Jun 20 2009, 10:43 AM, said:

View PostDuke, on Jun 20 2009, 10:41 AM, said:

Yes. Yes you are. :hrmm: I will settle for nothing less than a window seat if I pay the air fare. If you're a nonrev though I'm sure you would be grateful if you got a seat though :hrmm:

By the way. Avoid window seats past the exit row on Delta's Skywest CRJ-700s (Delta's Skywest is a different seat config than United's Skywest). Because the windows are misaligned and you really have to lean forward to look out the window and it hurts to look for long periods of time!!

I managed to get this shot though...

http://www.jetphotos....php?id=6037192

But if you're going on a Delta Branded Skywest CRJ-700 pick an aisle seat or a window seat forward of the emergency exit or you're screwed.... Trust me my 2:45 hour flight from AUS-SLC was torture.... And to add to that I only committed to that flight so I could get on my precious Delta MD-90 from SLC-SJC. And the onnee dayyyy it was delayed an hour and subbed by a 737-800!!!!
That is a huge bummer!

#20 Battle_Penguin

Battle_Penguin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:36 PM

I love window seats next to the wing because you can see somewhat of a view, and i love seeing the spoilers/flaps coming down and deploying on landing/ approach.. :hrmm: