ThrottleUp

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:45 AM

The most awful seat i've ever had!

:hrmm:

Yea that sux! I got a seat like that when I flew on an Uzbekistan Airways A310 once! There were no other windows free so I was stuck looking at that panel for 9 hrs  :hrmm:

#42 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:15 AM

Well thats there because Easy Jet move the bulkhead back so they can fit more seats in the plane

#43 SargeJr3

SargeJr3

Gallery Manager

• Gallery Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:14 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't pick a seat based on the view? Really, if I am in economy I probably will, but trans-atlantic/pacific, in business class - all I care about is the food, drink and sleep.  Looking out the window has lost it's charm.

#44 AirX

AirX

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:38 PM

View PostA32X, on Jun 21 2009, 09:33 AM, said:

Here's what I mean:

http://jetphotos.net...=6329250&nseq=6

The most awful seat i've ever had!
I remember getting stuck with one of those seats on a AirTran717. :hrmm: SO CRAMPED. My knees sounded like concrete after getting up.

#45 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

View Postscavers, on Jun 21 2009, 12:14 PM, said:

Am I the only one who doesn't pick a seat based on the view? Really, if I am in economy I probably will, but trans-atlantic/pacific, in business class - all I care about is the food, drink and sleep.  Looking out the window has lost it's charm.
Well maybe it lost its charm for you. Last year when I traveled from Qatar to England on a 6 hour flight, I spent at least 4 hours enjoying the view and the other 2 eating or sleeping.

Unless you travel on trans-oceanic flights each month, theres no reason why passengers don't feel the suspense and beauty of flying at over thirty thousand feet.

The beauty of flight is in its simplicity. Most passionate enthusiasts don't need something special during a flight. A nice view of the clouds, blue sky and vast area of land and sea at a high altitude is all you need to enjoy the very reason why you fell in love with flying in the first place. :hrmm:

#46 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

View PostNWilkinson, on Jun 20 2009, 01:31 PM, said:

@Mohammad:

Well, technically it does, otherwise airlines wouldn't have opted for that configuration...   you have to think of a generic business traveller, not yourself flying business.  Yeah I love window seats (specifically exit row seating) because that's my taste, but that doesn't mean it's shared with a person who flys first or business...   and on long flights, most people leave the shades down so they can rest or watch the movie with out a glare..  same for business and first.  Even on my long flights back and forth between Asia and the USA, the shades were down 95% of the time, only opened them for take off and landing.  When you're at FL370 over the ocean, there isn't anything to see other than water and clouds.  

Off topic though Mohammad, I'm moving to Saudi Arabia (to Rabigh, just north of Jeddah) later next month.
Goodluck moving to Saudi Arabia, youll need it. :hrmm: :hrmm:

On the topic of window seats, I understand where youre coming from, which is why I explained earlier on that people neglect the view regardless of what passenger-class they belong to. All in all, most flyers don't give a crap about the scenery because they don't care, and it has nothing to do with you being in first or business class either. That stereotype of first and business class passengers being careless about the window view compared to economy class passengers is not completely correct, because a lot of economy flyers aren't bothered about it as well. Unless youre madly in love with flying, airplanes and the experience of joy it brings to you, youll most probably not care about the view. So that applies to the majority of people.

On the other hand, I did personally see a good number of passengers complain about the disproportionate and/or windowless 'window seats' which they were given as rip-offs from their respective airliners. After paying such huge sums of money to buy a good ticket, normally youd expect all the luxuries you were promised of being provided. :P

===

Anyway, here are a couple of more ugly seat configurations...

1. Etihad Airways screwing things up, as usual:

Posted Image

2. Gulf Air copying Cathay Pacific's business class seats. Try not breaking your neck when turning around:

Posted Image

;)

Edited by Mohammad, 21 June 2009 - 03:38 PM.

#47 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:05 PM

Probably. Not I'm pretty sure 99% of people who fly don't give a dam where they sit as long as it's not a middle seat...

I'm part of the 1% I have my eyes glued to the window from takeoff to touch down (yes even on a 4 hour flight), and I keep track of where we are and listen to my iPod and eat some munchies and read an aviation magazine and have my camera on the ready for wing view I see fitting of a jetphotos.net shot.

Butttt thats just me :hrmm:

Edited by AmericanAirFan, 21 June 2009 - 09:05 PM.

#48 rabbitweasel

rabbitweasel

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:10 PM

I'm fairly sure that most of the members here fit into the "must have window seat crowd." I'm not always glued to my window for a 4 hour flight but I am from take-off to cruise and cruise to landing. My camera snapshots are only for my personal collection with my mediocre camera quality, at least for now. :hrmm:

#49 Gym_Class_Hero

Gym_Class_Hero

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:03 PM

View PostAmericanAirFan, on Jun 21 2009, 09:05 PM, said:

Probably. Not I'm pretty sure 99% of people who fly don't give a dam where they sit as long as it's not a middle seat...

I'm part of the 1% I have my eyes glued to the window from takeoff to touch down (yes even on a 4 hour flight), and I keep track of where we are and listen to my iPod and eat some munchies and read an aviation magazine and have my camera on the ready for wing view I see fitting of a jetphotos.net shot.

Butttt thats just me :hrmm:
And me. :hrmm: Except yesterday when flying back to ORD from PDX, ended up falling asleep. :P But it was coach, I don't feel that bad. I would never sleep if I flew first class on a widebody, I consider it a waste. Why just sleep when you paid for a PTV and a bunch of other stuff to use?

I disagree with a lot of you about your feelings that most people don't care about the window. Most people enjoy the ACT of flying (maybe not the airport part, but most do enjoy the feeling of flight, which was in mind when the SkyInterior was designed).

Edited by Gym_Class_Hero, 21 June 2009 - 10:11 PM.

#50 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:26 AM

I don't understand the sleeping part, either, unless you didn't sleep too well before reaching the airport. :hrmm:

Usually, our long trans-continental flights take place at morning hours, so most passengers should be awake for the whole trip. Besides, apart from the view, there are plenty of cool services you could use instead of wasting your time closing your eyes lol. :hrmm:

Thanks for replying, guys. :P

#51 aviatordom

aviatordom

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:00 AM

Nothing worse than not being able to see out of a window when there is something really good to look at outside, especially if like me you don't fly often!

Take last month for example. I was on the way back from Barcelona with BA. We had to hold in the "stack" and circle around London for a good 20-30 mins because Air Traffic Control was evacuated due to a fire alarm going off

As a result, everybody who had a window seat got to see all the other traffic circling around, as-well as all the land marks of London!

A flightdeck visit made up for it though! :hrmm:

#52 rabbitweasel

rabbitweasel

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:21 PM

Well I've been on quite a few trancontinental flights during the night time. DL seems to offer at least one from each major west coast city to ATL. It's only around 4-5 hours of sleep depending on the city but I have to say that I do enjoy first class on those legs for sleeping. Although most have personal IFE now, some of DL's 757 fleet only has overhead IFE even in first so I feel less obligated to use it on such flights. I do agree though with your point in the day time though.

Edited by rabbitweasel, 22 June 2009 - 12:21 PM.

#53 wyoairbus

wyoairbus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:22 PM

View PostA32X, on Jun 22 2009, 12:00 PM, said:

Nothing worse than not being able to see out of a window when there is something really good to look at outside, especially if like me you don't fly often!

Take last month for example. I was on the way back from Barcelona with BA. We had to hold in the "stack" and circle around London for a good 20-30 mins because Air Traffic Control was evacuated due to a fire alarm going off

As a result, everybody who had a window seat got to see all the other traffic circling around, as-well as all the land marks of London!

A flightdeck visit made up for it though! :hrmm:

that actually happened to my flight into heathrow as well lol, just not for as long

beautiful city too

#54 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:46 PM

View PostA32X, on Jun 22 2009, 11:00 AM, said:

A flightdeck visit made up for it though! :P
Haha, that happened to my parents last year. :hrmm:

We were flying on Qatar Airways from Doha to London, and I asked my mom and dad if they liked 2 seats next to the window. They passed the offer and decided to take the middle section instead. When we were landing in London, the pilot decided to waste a little time since our flight arrived quite early. So he ended up giving us a small tour around the city of London, and most passengers with window seats were able to view all the beautiful landmarks in the area. This ranged from things like Hyde Park and River Thames all the way down to the finest details such as the new Wembley Stadium, Emirates Stadium, Tower of London, Big Ben, London Bridge, etc. :hrmm:

It was a fun experience, and most passengers who willingly chose aisle over window regretted it. ;)

Edited by Mohammad, 23 June 2009 - 08:46 PM.