#21 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

View PostAirTotal777, on Jun 20 2009, 02:36 PM, said:

I love window seats next to the wing because you can see somewhat of a view, and i love seeing the spoilers/flaps coming down and deploying on landing/ approach.. :hrmm:

Yeah I love those seats! I always pick them. I got a big assortment of window seats assigned for my big trip in July on American.

MD80, 757, ERJ140, 767-300, and another MD80 :hrmm:

#22 kenair744

kenair744

Cruising at FL130

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,821 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:01 PM

View PostRadRig211, on Jun 20 2009, 02:51 AM, said:

Call it a shameless plug, but a window seat on the A380 in the middle of the plane is pretty much worthless thanks to the absolutely massive wing...

Taken on SQ317 LHR-SIN
Posted Image

Also, watch out for the UA 747s: Row 35 is a window seat without a window...gotta love those.
When did you fly on the A380?
Did you check out http://www.seatguru.com/ for good seats beforehand?

Edited by kenair744, 20 June 2009 - 03:02 PM.

#23 mke.flyer

mke.flyer

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:38 PM

can anyone explain the purpose of windowless window seats? :hrmm:

#24 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:16 PM

I like window seats near the back of the wing; they give you a great view of the flaps and spoilers, and you can still view all the scenery if you want to.

#25 rabbitweasel

rabbitweasel

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:19 PM

^^^ seatguru.com is what I use when I buy tickets online. Before our family goes on a vacation that requires airline tickets, I'm sure to tell my dad which seats to pick on the cabin map. :hrmm:

#26 tikiman06

tikiman06

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:44 PM

View Postmke.flyer, on Jun 20 2009, 04:38 PM, said:

On turbo prop aircraft it's because ice often slings off the propellers, and it hitting a window wouldn't be an ideal situation.

Edited for typos.

Edited by tikiman06, 20 June 2009 - 08:45 PM.

#27 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:53 PM

Ice doesn't form on the props if the prop heat is on

#28 tikiman06

tikiman06

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:14 AM

View PostNWilkinson, on Jun 21 2009, 12:53 AM, said:

Ok smarty...

But pilots are not constantly flying around with "Prop heat" on. So if you happen to encounter icing en route you flip it on, the ice begins to melt, loosens up, and slings off, sometimes striking the fuselage. Thus the reason for no windows...

#29 AirX

AirX

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:22 AM

I kinda hate window seats. You end up having to climb over everyone to take a leak, it drives me up the wall. Id rather have a window seat on a empty flight. Middle seats make me puke, and im always in danger of becoming a amputee in isle seats! :hrmm:
The best window seats are ERJ130-145S the single isles. Yea they are cramped planes but you don't have to climb over people to get to the bathroom.
I usually find myself sleeping through flights, the sound of the engines  and a sings me to sleep.
I remember waking up on a UAL flight with drool on the tray table after being stuck in LA for two days. To make matters worse I had to spend the night at Newark just to get home :hrmm: !
That was a h@ll of a ordeal.

View Posttikiman06, on Jun 21 2009, 01:14 AM, said:

View PostNWilkinson, on Jun 21 2009, 12:53 AM, said:

Ok smarty...

But pilots are not constantly flying around with "Prop heat" on. So if you happen to encounter icing en route you flip it on, the ice begins to melt, loosens up, and slings off, sometimes striking the fuselage. Thus the reason for no windows...
You forgot about possibly descending to get out of icing conditions.  :P

Edited by AirX, 21 June 2009 - 12:21 AM.

#30 RadRig211

RadRig211

Orville Reincarnate

• Members/Edit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:50 AM

View Postkenair744, on Jun 20 2009, 01:01 PM, said:

When did you fly on the A380?
Did you check out http://www.seatguru.com/ for good seats beforehand?

Yeah I did check it out beforehand but because my flight was booked through United, I couldn't use the SQ online check in, nor could I pick a seat. It was only at the check-in at Heathrow when I got my seat, but by that time a large majority of the passengers had gotten their window seats before me (thanks to SQ's 48hr online check-in policy).

#31 aviatordom

aviatordom

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:55 AM

View Postmke.flyer, on Jun 20 2009, 09:38 PM, said:

Down to the operators seating layout and on some aircraft, it's due to the location of the air-conditioning ducts, etc. :hrmm:

#32 ThrottleUp

ThrottleUp

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:31 AM

I love window seats next to the wing because you can see somewhat of a view, and i love seeing the spoilers/flaps coming down and deploying on landing/ approach.

Yea me too. The best seats are the ones with a view behind the trailing edge where you see all the wings gizmos doing their thing *and* enjoy the view of the scenery below. Of course this is heavily dependant on the type of machine you are flying on :hrmm:

--------

And since this thread is about window seats how about this for annoying -Im sure you guys have come across it.

1. You don't have a window seat but you can just about peer over the shoulder of the dude who is in the window seat by you - and he puts the blind down.

2. This happened on Emirates once - the FAs came down the aisles telling everone by the windows to put their blinds down. I had a window seat was like "Umm why...Im enjoying the view!" Something about darkening cabin so others could sleep! Oh yes after about 20mins the blind went back up :hrmm:

Edited by ThrottleUp, 21 June 2009 - 04:38 AM.

#33 lozzyh

lozzyh

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:13 AM

I'll be flying on a 757-200/300 or A320 tomorrow, does anyone know if there is a 'window' seat without a window on these and if so where so I can avoid it?

#34 ThrottleUp

ThrottleUp

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:01 AM

I'll be flying on a 757-200/300 or A320 tomorrow, does anyone know if there is a 'window' seat without a window on these and if so where so I can avoid it?

Depends on what airline you are on. Go to their website and look at the seating plans or check it out on Seat Guru website. Note which row you are in. Then you could look for a pic of those planes from the airline you are flying on from airliners.net and count the windows till you reach your row. This is not guranteed to work (sometimes windows-seats don't match exactly) but it will give you an idea!

For example note the "missing" windows on this one:
http://www.airliners...-2B7/1530477/L/

Edited by ThrottleUp, 21 June 2009 - 07:02 AM.

#35 George Bush

George Bush

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:05 AM

At that first pic of cathay pacific-you could get the sensation of flying sideways which is really wierd.

And on that link you gave-talk about taking comfort on an airplane to the extreme :hrmm:. Even though they are good ideas.

Edited by George Bush, 21 June 2009 - 07:09 AM.

#36 APPLE

APPLE

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:07 AM

CRAP! If I get Row 35 on my 18 hour United Airlines 747 flight, i'm going to flip :hrmm:

#37 dolbinau

dolbinau

Download Manager

• Download Manager
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:10 AM

View Postlozzyh, on Jun 21 2009, 09:13 PM, said:

I was in the very last row on a Jetstar A320, in a window-less window seat. I'm not sure if this was just on one side of the row though, but avoid the last row if it's an A320 and you should be right :hrmm:.

#38 APPLE

APPLE

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:18 AM

If I get a window seat without a window, I'm going to go around looking for empty seats with window when the doors close :hrmm:...

Since we are 3 it is more logical to put 3 people who are genetically resembled in 3 seats rather than 4 seats with a stranger, so technically, i'm locked on to a window seat :hrmm:. It is more reasonable to put 4 strangers in the middle seats. Unless there is a family of 4. I just want a window seat, and not row 35 :P

Edited by Apple, 21 June 2009 - 07:19 AM.

#39 lozzyh

lozzyh

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:39 AM

View PostThrottleUp, on Jun 21 2009, 07:01 AM, said:

Depends on what airline you are on. Go to their website and look at the seating plans or check it out on Seat Guru website. Note which row you are in. Then you could look for a pic of those planes from the airline you are flying on from airliners.net and count the windows till you reach your row. This is not guranteed to work (sometimes windows-seats don't match exactly) but it will give you an idea!

For example note the "missing" windows on this one:
http://www.airliners...-2B7/1530477/L/

I will be flying on Thomson Air. I've tried looking for seat plans, but it's not made clear if there is a window or not.

Also will I be able to pack my laptop in my suitcase as I have not been allowed on a couple of occasions before.

Edited by lozzyh, 21 June 2009 - 07:40 AM.

#40 aviatordom

aviatordom

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:33 AM

Here's what I mean:

http://jetphotos.net...=6329250&nseq=6

The most awful seat i've ever had!