- - - - -

Empora Air: Bringing back the pride of the virtual airline

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

#21 Paul Marcus

Paul Marcus

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:12 PM

View PostDa Bat Man, on Sep 5 2009, 10:09 PM, said:

Tis a common problem that all upcomming VA's face :hrmm: . It's either not having a big enough roster or a roster filled with inactive pilots. You'll get up there though.  :hrmm:

At least most of them are active. In the 2 years of service this is the best. Smaller but very active roster.

#22 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

View PostPaul Marcus, on Sep 5 2009, 10:12 PM, said:

View PostDa Bat Man, on Sep 5 2009, 10:09 PM, said:

Tis a common problem that all upcomming VA's face :hrmm: . It's either not having a big enough roster or a roster filled with inactive pilots. You'll get up there though.  :hrmm:

At least most of them are active. In the 2 years of service this is the best. Smaller but very active roster.

Keeping the roster updated counts, and that is one of the biggest reasons which attracted me to the VA I currently fly for. With PR's like the one you just posted, the new look, etc, you will get more pilots.

#23 Paul Marcus

Paul Marcus

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:27 PM

Posting before/during the start of the school year internationally is tough as well. We have many more things to be posted about in the next few months. The constant editions and updates should only help, I'd like to think.

#24 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:34 PM

View PostPaul Marcus, on Sep 5 2009, 10:27 PM, said:

Posting before/during the start of the school year internationally is tough as well. We have many more things to be posted about in the next few months. The constant editions and updates should only help, I'd like to think.

Yup. As a virtual pilot, that is one of the items I look for in a VA. Updates and editions adds to the experience, and attractiveness and keeps your current pilots interested in the VA. I like to think as from a staff prospective myself that the more you put in, the more you're going to get out.

Edited by Da Bat Man, 05 September 2009 - 09:44 PM.

#25 Monte

Monte

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:59 AM

Good luck Paul - looking good!

Monte

#26 Fourtyfreak

Fourtyfreak

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:37 AM

View PostPaul Marcus, on Sep 6 2009, 02:59 AM, said:

I am not going to lie, membership is flat. We posted on over 30 FS forums and we still only have 40 pilots. Some people cannot read and don't see the BIG red warning popup that IE users get that tells them to download firefox. Firefox is preferred by many large VA's to enjoy the full functions of the site.

But why exclude a huge percentage of users by demanding the use of Firefox? (site doesn't render properly in Opera either)

I'm fairly sure if your webmaster fixed the validation errors on the site to make it properly standards compliant and added a few simple CSS hacks, the site would render properly in *all* browsers. May help improve your membership numbers, who knows.

Just seems a little short sighted to me that's all...

Just my tuppence worth..

Apart from that however, great looking site, best of luck.

Paul

#27 ukmatthew

ukmatthew

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:10 AM

Firefox only shows lazyness. There are plenty of ways around making the website operatable in all browsers.

#28 Guest_βцziεł-411_*

Guest_βцziεł-411_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:36 AM

View Postukmatthew, on Sep 6 2009, 07:10 AM, said:

Firefox only shows lazyness. There are plenty of ways around making the website operatable in all browsers.

It also shows speed, stability, and customization. :hrmm:

#29 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:41 AM

luxServ sounds like it would be serving luxembourg. Could be misleading :hrmm:

View Postβцziεł-411, on Sep 6 2009, 09:36 AM, said:

Definitely not speed. FireFox is one of the slowest browsers out there. Stability isn't too true either. Customization however is true.

But I honestly don't find a point in customizing a browser, in terms of AddOns.

CHROME ftw

#30 Mr. Schutte

Mr. Schutte

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

Keep up the good work Paul :hrmm:

#31 Paul Marcus

Paul Marcus

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:58 AM

View Postukmatthew, on Sep 6 2009, 08:10 AM, said:

View PostPeter797, on Sep 6 2009, 09:41 AM, said:

Definitely not speed. FireFox is one of the slowest browsers out there. Stability isn't too true either. Customization however is true.

CHROME ftw

I and my staff stand by our decision. So far the comments I have gotten from people off this forum about the IE and Firefox issue are from very new pilots that know nothing about VA's.

Listen when you have a FULLY CUSTOM system, template, and site; it is a whole other ordeal. VAbase and all the other premade stuff may work on IE, but when you have to code things on your own, it is totally different.

#32 LukeK

LukeK

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:19 AM

View PostPaul Marcus, on Sep 6 2009, 11:58 AM, said:

Listen when you have a FULLY CUSTOM system, template, and site; it is a whole other ordeal. VAbase and all the other premade stuff may work on IE, but when you have to code things on your own, it is totally different.

I've never had a problem making a site that renders reasonably well on IE, Firefox, and WebKit. That's the whole point of making a custom site, so you can control the HTML emitted at such a fine level?

You can make your choice, but don't say it's caused by a custom system, because it isn't.

Cheers!

Luke

#33 ukmatthew

ukmatthew

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:23 AM

View PostLukeK, on Sep 6 2009, 05:19 PM, said:

View PostPaul Marcus, on Sep 6 2009, 11:58 AM, said:

I've never had a problem making a site that renders reasonably well on IE, Firefox, and WebKit. That's the whole point of making a custom site, so you can control the HTML emitted at such a fine level?

You can make your choice, but don't say it's caused by a custom system, because it isn't.

Cheers!

Luke

Because like i said. Its lazyness and theres no excuse. Either that or he doesnt know what hes doing.

#34 Paul Marcus

Paul Marcus

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:25 AM

Alright guys end it here.

Hopefully the site will look great in the web browser of our IFE system. Oh did I just spill the beans on something :hrmm:

#35 ukmatthew

ukmatthew

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:33 AM

That doesnt mean the whole website is not configurable with IE etc. Im sure theirs ways to work around the IFE system you just said aswell. It just seems silly and unneeded. Im sure somebody coming upon you website using IE and not reading this on here will be mighty confused and will put them off.

Anyway good luck.

Edited by ukmatthew, 06 September 2009 - 11:34 AM.

#36 Guest_βцziεł-411_*

Guest_βцziεł-411_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:35 AM

View PostPeter797, on Sep 6 2009, 08:41 AM, said:

CHROME ftw

Sorry, no.

I'm posting from Chrome at the moment. I decided I'd download it and give it a go. I can say Firefox is much faster... Make sure you've tried the latest version.

#37 ukmatthew

ukmatthew

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:37 AM

Firefox has and will be for a while the fastest and most easy to use browser out there. Especially when paired with OpenDNS.

From investigation chrome is just safari with a diff look and few extra features.

Edited by ukmatthew, 06 September 2009 - 11:38 AM.

#38 Guest_βцziεł-411_*

Guest_βцziεł-411_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:41 AM

Chrome has been removed from my hard drive. :hrmm:

#39 Paul Marcus

Paul Marcus

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:46 AM

Last time I checked this topic was about a VA going public again.

#40 Guest_βцziεł-411_*

Guest_βцziεł-411_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:48 AM

View PostPaul Marcus, on Sep 6 2009, 11:46 AM, said:

Last time I checked this topic was about a VA going public again.

My apologies, back on topic now.