* * - - - 4 votes

The Great VA Section Compromise

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Should this idea be implemented?

Should this idea be implemented?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 JordanFarmer

JordanFarmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:16 PM

I think this would be a great idea, im all in for this :hrmm:

#22 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:30 PM

Paul,

I am one of those who voted no, for one huge reason and a couple of others.

But the main reason I voted no is because, as it stands, your proposal does nothing to address the crap that happens in the posts for the "big name" VAs.  For example, in a recent PR for MetroAir, there were a few rascals that decided to completely destroy the thread.  I'm assuming MetroAir would be one of those acceptable VAs that could post, and yet, there was crap in the thread.

I think the forum is fine as it is, in terms of allowing what VAs to post.  But it almost seems as if this sub-forum needs a dedicated Moderator just for this forum.

#23 Paul Marcus

Paul Marcus

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:37 PM

View PostAlex - MetroAir, on Sep 12 2009, 07:30 PM, said:

Paul,

But the main reason I voted no is because, as it stands, your proposal does nothing to address the crap that happens in the posts for the "big name" VAs.  For example, in a recent PR for MetroAir, there were a few rascals that decided to completely destroy the thread.  I'm assuming MetroAir would be one of those acceptable VAs that could post, and yet, there was crap in the thread.

I think the forum is fine as it is, in terms of allowing what VAs to post.  But it almost seems as if this sub-forum needs a dedicated Moderator just for this forum.

Well derailing threads, etc is the mods/admins job. Nothing can really be done to fix that, I think.

#24 Toyuko

Toyuko

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

Good idea!

#25 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:46 PM

I don't think anyone would even want to do that.

#26 fredrick_thy_grt

fredrick_thy_grt

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:56 PM

I said no, it is to...complex?  :hrmm:

It's flight Simulator, not the Presidential election or something that needs to be all fancy smancy..

It is a good idea, yes, but not for fs..

#27 Soap

Soap

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:58 PM

View PostCAY029-VFRDUDE, on Sep 12 2009, 08:46 PM, said:

I don't think anyone would even want to do that.

Maybe I would? :hrmm:

#28 Paul Marcus

Paul Marcus

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:46 PM

View Postflynryan692, on Sep 12 2009, 08:56 PM, said:

I said no, it is to...complex?  :hrmm:

It's flight Simulator, not the Presidential election or something that needs to be all fancy smancy..

It is a good idea, yes, but not for fs..

It is actually an extremely simple and easy idea. Much more simple and moderate than other ideas pitched here.

#29 Cortez

Cortez

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:49 PM

View PostAlex - MetroAir, on Sep 12 2009, 04:30 PM, said:

Paul,

Alex, I agree with your thought.
But this would at least cut the "trolls" in half!
Leaving out those "10 minute" VA's so to speak.

#30 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:12 PM

I personally agree with the idea, as something needs to be done in this section. The constant flame wars prompted me to avoid this section all-together, and only post in particular topics. Pretty bad IMO when the majority of topics here 2 or more pages in length are more than likely a flame war.

Edited by Da Bat Man, 12 September 2009 - 10:14 PM.

#31 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:38 PM

View PostCortez, on Sep 12 2009, 09:49 PM, said:

View PostAlex - MetroAir, on Sep 12 2009, 04:30 PM, said:

Paul,

Alex, I agree with your thought.
But this would at least cut the "trolls" in half!
Leaving out those "10 minute" VA's so to speak.

That is very true. :hrmm:

Now here is another question I pose, though.  If no one seems willing to moderate this sub-forum, why would someone want to take the time to manage the VA list?  I guess the idea is a good start but I personally just won't think it will work out as well as we'd like.

#32 Soap

Soap

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:40 PM

I am willing to moderate it! :hrmm:

#33 Paul Marcus

Paul Marcus

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:55 PM

Common guys. I speak to the mods on MSN often and they keep an eye on things. The FSW mods can handle this and do a good job.

#34 Alaska_MD-83

Alaska_MD-83

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:09 PM

View PostCrystalFlyer, on Sep 12 2009, 08:40 PM, said:

How subtle.

No Don't, even though I don't really post here anymore, I still don't like people trying to show me "n00b wars" via MSN. If you implement a system like this can you imagine the issues caused by the crappy VAs that are not approved. They will probablly go and spam up the other areas of the forum with BS posts. (St. Louis Mississippi :hrmm:). You'll also have more VA wars of those who are trying to get onto the acclaimed list.

#35 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:05 AM

View PostPaul Marcus, on Sep 12 2009, 11:55 PM, said:

Common guys. I speak to the mods on MSN often and they keep an eye on things. The FSW mods can handle this and do a good job.

Yes Paul, I agree with you. The whole issue stems from how quickly these flame wars can/will pop up.

#36 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:10 AM

It wouldn't affect me in the slightest, but i think any way to prevent little kids from creating crappy va after crappy va with no results would work.

#37 Cortez

Cortez

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:39 AM

View PostAlaska MD-83, on Sep 12 2009, 09:09 PM, said:

View PostCrystalFlyer, on Sep 12 2009, 08:40 PM, said:

How subtle.

No Don't, even though I don't really post here anymore, I still don't like people trying to show me "n00b wars" via MSN. If you implement a system like this can you imagine the issues caused by the crappy VAs that are not approved. They will probablly go and spam up the other areas of the forum with BS posts. (St. Louis Mississippi :hrmm:). You'll also have more VA wars of those who are trying to get onto the acclaimed list.
Thats where Toby comes in :P(dun dun dun)

#38 spambot2

spambot2

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:09 AM

Id say this is a good idea even if all it does is eliminate the 10 minute freeweb va's

#39 Continental180

Continental180

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:02 AM

i mean, i used to post here a lot, but i have been slowly getting off of this site, just because of the immature people on here, (some have talked in this one), and the fact that only people who want to create a va come here; no pilots come here. Your posting your crap to other "CEO's".

I think this sounds good, but in reality, its gonna be a lot of hard work. Your not the first one to bring up a plan to redo this   section of the forum; i personally have also, with creating different subforums based off of general chat, press releases, etc. But nothing happens. This forum has been like this for many years now, and changing its ways will be not only hard for the mods to deal with, but for the general people who visit this site daily. Your never gonna be able to get rid of the immature kids.

If u claim that your apart of many other forums, then stay over there. I think its part of the culture here to have a wide range va's posting, regardless of how good they are. Its how we make this weak ones better.

#40 Paul Marcus

Paul Marcus

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:06 PM

It kind of scares me how people complain about the forum and don't want to do anything about it. This would be a great way to organize things, get rid of freewebs VA's, and make people think twice about starting flame wars.