#1 Ian Marsh

Ian Marsh

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:14 PM

Hi guys.

I am seriously thinking about joining vatsim and learning to fly online, but it does seem a little daunting sometimes. So I hope some of you can kindly help me out with a few of the basics. I will of course have a good look round the vatsim website for more information but for now I would really welcome some feedback here before I take the plunge.  :hrmm:

My skill level so far.

I always use either the lds767 or the pmdg md-11.
For all my routes in the fmc I always use routes from simroutes.
For (NATs) I normally enter them in manually in to fmc.
The NATs I get are also from simroutes.
I can quite sucessfully complete a trans-atlantic flight using the sid/star and NATs.

General questions.

What type of aircraft show up at airports when using vatsim ? can I see the exact livery of other users aircraft or will they show up as something elese like whatever ai I have on my system ?

Do any add on airports work in vatsim ? for example uk2000 heathrow extreme ? or are the default ones reccomended ?

Is it recomended to create an acount at say navigraph for charts ?

In general do atc controllers use the star method when instructing an approach or is it mainly vectors ?

Is vatsim stable or does it cause problems such as ctd ?

Any help or feedback will be very much appreciated, thanks for your time guys.  :hrmm:

Ian.

#2 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:34 PM

1. With sqwuakbox, you see medium-low quality planes. You usually see the exact livery (especially for major airlines), otherwise it will be the actual airplane type, but a red "VIP" plane. I'm sure there is a way to add and replace models.

With FSInn, you see other planes as the full quality planes from your plane library. If you don't have a certain plane that someone else is using, another similar plane will be shown to replace it. This can be annoying if you don't have many planes. But if you have a lot of planes, it's better.

2. Of course add-on airports work! They're usually more realistic too. :hrmm: Add-on airports are recommended.

3. Well, VATUSA and VATCAR have a lot of charts, plus there are plenty of charts all over the internet.

4. If you have a STAR in your flight plan, you'll follow that, until/unless they give you vectors. Some SIDs and STARS have a leg that says VECTORS, where they'll give you vectors. For a VFR landing, they'll normally give you vectors, as well as for when it's very populated.

5. With FSInn, VATSIM is stable. The problems with FSInn are that (for me) voice doesn't work at all, and it's less simple. But FSInn has a lot of cool features, but voice is very important to me. I heard there is a way to fix it, not sure how, but I recommend trying FSInn first.
Sqwuakbox has something called an assertion error, which happens almost every flight. Don't use it if you plan to do long-hauls often, without being at the computer.

Look at other people's flights on Vataware, and observe others at first. Then do a first flight. Use ServInfo (look it up on google) to see where there is ATC, and do a flight there. You'll see, it's pretty easy, fun, and very realistic. If you don't get something, don't be afraid to ask. :hrmm:

Have fun!

#3 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:41 PM

I connected to vatsim once (didn't fly) and all other planes were 747's in cargolux livery, and sometimes the default 737 in house livery. :hrmm:

#4 Shaun-NCL

Shaun-NCL

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:41 PM

You had a look at IVAO mate?

#5 Ian Marsh

Ian Marsh

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:55 PM

Pierre, wow many thanks for such a detailed responce mate, that has really cleared some things up. Just once again though, you mentioned that "With FSInn, you see other planes as the full quality planes from your plane library" so for example would that be my ai aircraft (I have woai) or for example if someone is using the lds 767 would they show up too ? surley that would cause some fps issues to have say 20 lds 767 at Heathrow ?  :hrmm:

Ian.

Shaun, no mate not seen IVAO, what is it exactly ?

Ian.

#6 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:23 PM

View PostIan Marsh, on Oct 23 2009, 06:55 PM, said:

Pierre, wow many thanks for such a detailed responce mate, that has really cleared some things up. Just once again though, you mentioned that "With FSInn, you see other planes as the full quality planes from your plane library" so for example would that be my ai aircraft (I have woai) or for example if someone is using the lds 767 would they show up too ? surley that would cause some fps issues to have say 20 lds 767 at Heathrow ?  :hrmm:

Ian.

Ian.
I think that they'd either show as the LDS767, or as the WOAI.

With WOAI, you'll be fine with FSInn.

FSInn does take up more RAM than sqwuakbox, but has more features and no assertion errors, which if you don't press ignore, cause CTDs.

IVAO is like VATSIM, online ATC, but a different population. It usually has more people and ATC in Europe. But with VATSIM, I've always had ATC in Europe anyways....

In all other regions that Europe and especially the UK, VATSIM has more people.

#7 SuperCar1000

SuperCar1000

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

View PostCAYDUDE029, on Oct 23 2009, 05:23 PM, said:

View PostIan Marsh, on Oct 23 2009, 06:55 PM, said:

Ian.

Ian.

IVAO is like VATSIM, online ATC, but a different population. It usually has more people and ATC in Europe. But with VATSIM, I've always had ATC in Europe anyways....

In all other regions that Europe and especially the UK, VATSIM has more people.

VATSIM feels more professionnal too

#8 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:57 AM

Here's a reason to join VATSIM:
Posted Image

:hrmm:

#9 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:59 AM

^ :hrmm:

#10 Aharon

Aharon

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:03 PM

where do you get live chart of planes in flight from?

aharon

#11 ALPHA_FOXTROT_10

ALPHA_FOXTROT_10

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:06 PM

:hrmm: i wish i could go and shred Vatsim, but i got no internet on the computer i use for flying, and this one im using can't hack fs2004 for sh**.

#12 suddste

suddste

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,233 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:07 PM

View PostAharon, on Oct 24 2009, 12:03 PM, said:

aharon

ServInfo, Dolomynum, VAT-Spy etc

#13 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:09 PM

View Postsuddste, on Oct 24 2009, 01:07 PM, said:

aharon

Yeah, I use ServInfo. :hrmm:

#14 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:09 PM

You don't need a navigraph account but you do need updated charts. Navigraph will update the FMC's AIRAC, but it's payware. As long as you have updated charts, you can fly the SID/STAR with raw data instead of using the FMC, provided your nav radios are tuned to the proper navaids. I personally prefer Navigraph as it provides enroute charts, terminal procedures, and FMC AIRAC data (plus it has video tutorials that teaches you how to read charts).

Whether or not a STAR will be used will mainly depend on traffic, and/or if the controller simply doesn't want you on a STAR. If there is a high volume of traffic at your arrival, the controller will pull you and others off the STAR to maintain proper IMC separation through vectors.

#15 suddste

suddste

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,233 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:10 PM

View PostCAYDUDE029, on Oct 24 2009, 12:09 PM, said:

View Postsuddste, on Oct 24 2009, 01:07 PM, said:

aharon

Yeah, I use ServInfo. :hrmm:

I use VRC and just watch as an observer :hrmm:

#16 Ian Marsh

Ian Marsh

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:39 PM

Pierre, wow flippin, wow  :hrmm: look at all those flights across the pond  :P Its the trans atlantic flight I enjoy the most, and I am already very familar with the NATs and how to use them in the fmc. I am a regular visitor (on fsx) to KJFK, KORD, KMIA, KIAD, KBOS, KIAH, KEWR, KATL, don't suppose anyone knows if IVAO has as many as that ?  :hrmm:

Ian.

#17 suddste

suddste

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,233 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:40 PM

View PostIan Marsh, on Oct 24 2009, 01:39 PM, said:

Pierre, wow flippin, wow  :hrmm: look at all those flights across the pond  :P Its the trans atlantic flight I enjoy the most, and I am already very familar with the NATs and how to use them in the fmc. I am a regular visitor (on fsx) to KJFK, KORD, KMIA, KIAD, KBOS, KIAH, KEWR, KATL, don't suppose anyone knows if IVAO has as many as that ?  :hrmm:

Ian.

Well it's not usually that busy. Did anyone tell you that there was an event for crossing the pond today?

#18 Captain Quagmire

Captain Quagmire

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:42 PM

IVAO has better coverage for ATC within Europe (although it lacks UK coverage compared with IVAO) and some parts of the Middle East. If you fly regularly accross the pond, I would recommend that you use VATSIM.

#19 Mr. Schutte

Mr. Schutte

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:43 PM

IVAO is not supported like Vatsim is by the public and external companies unfortunately. IVAO is great in many respects but they really excel in Europe, the only thing that I was miffed about the IVAO is that you communicate through Teamspeak, Vatsim you communicate through FSX, be it over Squawkbox or FSINN.

I think your best bet would be to join Vatsim, and hook up with a few other people on the network, do a few flights with them and they can give you all the advice you need. :hrmm:

#20 audiohavoc

audiohavoc

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

View PostTHBatMan8, on Oct 24 2009, 10:09 AM, said:

You don't need a navigraph account but you do need updated charts. Navigraph will update the FMC's AIRAC, but it's payware. As long as you have updated charts, you can fly the SID/STAR with raw data instead of using the FMC, provided your nav radios are tuned to the proper navaids. I personally prefer Navigraph as it provides enroute charts, terminal procedures, and FMC AIRAC data (plus it has video tutorials that teaches you how to read charts).

Whether or not a STAR will be used will mainly depend on traffic, and/or if the controller simply doesn't want you on a STAR. If there is a high volume of traffic at your arrival, the controller will pull you and others off the STAR to maintain proper IMC separation through vectors.

Totally agree.  I did a flight yesterday from EGAA to KBGR, and could not find a route anywhere for it, so I resorted to Navigraph.  I first determined via the FAA website that the ERAKA - PRAWN NAT was current, and then using the SID/Star charts, NAT enroute charts, and North America sectionals in Navigraph, I was able to manually construct my own flightplan.