- - - - -

A-10 Friendly Fire on British Troops (2003)

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#41 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:57 PM

I'm just curious, why is this drawing all the headlines? Does anyone know the British killed their own in the same war? Or that British aircraft attacked their own ships in wars past?

#42 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:03 PM

View PostTomcats_Forever, on Mar 27 2010, 11:57 PM, said:

I'm just curious, why is this drawing all the headlines? Does anyone know the British killed their own in the same war? Or that British aircraft attacked their own ships in wars past?

It's called ratings. The general public is against this war in majority and stories like this feed fuel to the fire. The media does this for every war, dating back to Korea.

Edited by THBatMan8, 27 March 2010 - 11:05 PM.

#43 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:38 AM

View PostTHBatMan8, on Mar 28 2010, 09:33 AM, said:

View PostTomcats_Forever, on Mar 27 2010, 11:57 PM, said:

It's called ratings. The general public is against this war in majority and stories like this feed fuel to the fire. The media does this for every war, dating back to Korea.

Yup, usual humanity.  aka sheep.

#44 bigflyersmallbyer

bigflyersmallbyer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

Bit of sad news. Ironically one of the soldiers involved in this was a friendly on the ground. He was wearing full Armour  and cheated death that time. Sadly he was killed by a grenade on his last patrol in Afghanistan on Friday.

http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/8591196.stm

Posted Image

Rest in peace.

Edited by bigflyersmallbyer, 28 March 2010 - 08:39 AM.

#45 Max.

Max.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:59 AM

Wow my posts were deleted, what a joke. Seriously that's disgusting, deleting a post honouring the life of Matty Hull who was killed. Whoever did that is a bit of a div.

#46 bigflyersmallbyer

bigflyersmallbyer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:22 AM

View PostMax., on Mar 28 2010, 03:59 PM, said:

Wow my posts were deleted, what a joke. Seriously that's disgusting, deleting a post honouring the life of Matty Hull who was killed. Whoever did that is a bit of a div.

Those post's were deleted but these weren't..?

View Post4dalulz, on Mar 25 2010, 04:54 PM, said:

RIP British Soldiers. Careless IMO

View Post4dalulz, on Mar 25 2010, 05:15 PM, said:

View PostTomcats_Forever, on Mar 25 2010, 11:04 AM, said:

View Post4dalulz, on Mar 25 2010, 10:54 AM, said:

RIP British Soldiers. Careless IMO

Unless you've flown in actual combat, you have absolutely no right to say such things.

It's funny..an old topic of A-10 friendly fire gets this much attention, but post a topic about an A-10 pilot saving civilian lives and no one cares...do people really think that ill of our armed services?  :hrmm:
screw you. I can say what I like.

:hrmm:

#47 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:20 AM

Whoever said it wasn't careless...that's ridiculous.

And that is all I shall say if posts are being deleted without reason.

#48 Max.

Max.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:44 AM

Exactly, it clearly was careless, there was no reason to make that mistake. Orange panels on top of friendly armour was the signal that should have set the alarm bells in the pilots minds ringing - but instead they assumed they were hostile rockets. Although I'm yet to ever see an orange rocket launcher. The pilots should have ensured that they knew what was going on rather then second guessing what could have been hostile.

Seriously though like I said, it was war and accidents happen but the bone headed refusal for some on this board to accept that the pilot may have made a mistake is horrendous and ridiculous is equal measure.

#49 spitfir3

spitfir3

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

View PostMax., on Mar 28 2010, 05:44 PM, said:

Exactly, it clearly was careless, there was no reason to make that mistake. Orange panels on top of friendly armour was the signal that should have set the alarm bells in the pilots minds ringing - but instead they assumed they were hostile rockets. Although I'm yet to ever see an orange rocket launcher. The pilots should have ensured that they knew what was going on rather then second guessing what could have been hostile.

Seriously though like I said, it was war and accidents happen but the bone headed refusal for some on this board to accept that the pilot may have made a mistake is horrendous and ridiculous is equal measure.

This. Did someone actually delete a RIP/tribute post you made???  :hrmm:

#50 Max.

Max.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:51 AM

View Postspitfir3, on Mar 28 2010, 05:48 PM, said:

It wasn't necessarily a RIP post just a reminder of the name of the man who was killed and that people should think of him and his family rather then the emotions the pilots were feeling.

#51 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

View PostMax., on Mar 28 2010, 11:51 AM, said:

It wasn't necessarily a RIP post just a reminder of the name of the man who was killed and that people should think of him and his family rather then the emotions the pilots were feeling.

He's been dead seven years, dude. Most of us don't see a point in brooding over someone who's been dead nearly a decade. And why just this person? Where's all the outrage for the two British soldiers were killed when a British tank crew fired on them?

#52 Max.

Max.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

View PostTomcats_Forever, on Mar 28 2010, 06:14 PM, said:

He's been dead seven years, dude. Most of us don't see a point in brooding over someone who's been dead nearly a decade. And why just this person? Where's all the outrage for the two British soldiers were killed when a British tank crew fired on them?
That's a joke obviously.

#53 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

View PostMax., on Mar 28 2010, 12:37 PM, said:

That's a joke obviously.

Nope. Because as far as I'm concerned, by watching British media, the Brits looooooooooooove to use this incident to whine about those 'careless yanks'. And given that mostly everyone who keeps griping and showing anger in this thread have their locations set to somewhere in the UK, I don't see any reason to think different. Guess what. You're no better, you've killed many of your own soldiers and allies in the past, get over yourselves.  :hrmm:

Needed to be said, since this topic didn't need to be brought up again in the first place.

#54 Max.

Max.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:04 PM

View PostTomcats_Forever, on Mar 28 2010, 07:02 PM, said:

That's a joke obviously.

Nope. Because as far as I'm concerned, by watching British media, the Brits looooooooooooove to use this incident to whine about those 'careless yanks'. And given that mostly everyone who keeps griping and showing anger in this thread have their locations set to somewhere in the UK, I don't see any reason to think different. Guess what. You're no better, you've killed many of your own soldiers and allies in the past, get over yourselves.  :hrmm:

Needed to be said, since this topic didn't need to be brought up again in the first place.
That's yet to be denied.

#55 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:04 PM

View PostMax., on Mar 28 2010, 01:04 PM, said:

That's a joke obviously.

That's yet to be denied.

You just said 'obviously that's a joke' when I pointed that out.

#56 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:15 PM

That's a joke obviously.

So what? Just because it has been done by us Brits (and many other countries), it doesn't make the actions of the two pilots in question any more acceptable. I really don't see the point of your post :P

#57 Max.

Max.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:31 PM

View PostTomcats_Forever, on Mar 28 2010, 07:04 PM, said:

View PostMax., on Mar 28 2010, 01:04 PM, said:

That's a joke obviously.

That's yet to be denied.

You just said 'obviously that's a joke' when I pointed that out.
I wasn't saying that was a joke because that is true a Challenger 2 did fire on a another Challenger 2 during night time firefight during the initial invasion in Iraq killing 2 servicemen, but that doesn't detract from anything. You're first point which I won't repeat because it's dumb was what I believed was an obvious joke - considering it was coming from you the all American man of the veterans. (not the non-american ones though evidently)

Edited by Max., 28 March 2010 - 01:32 PM.

#58 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:49 PM

View PostChief_Bean, on Mar 28 2010, 01:15 PM, said:

That's a joke obviously.

So what? Just because it has been done by us Brits (and many other countries), it doesn't make the actions of the two pilots in question any more acceptable. I really don't see the point of your post :P

When the Americans mess up, the pilots are called careless, people say they should be discharged, etc. When the British do it, you say, "So what?"

#59 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:58 PM

I've read this entire topic and my conclusion so far is some of the Americans who posted here just really don't get it.

#60 Max.

Max.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

View PostBuziel-411_RED, on Mar 28 2010, 07:49 PM, said:

View PostChief_Bean, on Mar 28 2010, 01:15 PM, said:

That's a joke obviously.

When the Americans mess up, the pilots are called careless, people say they should be discharged, etc. When the British do it, you say, "So what?"
That's not what he meant at all.