ArmChairAviator

Private Pilot - IFR

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:15 PM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Aug 10 2010, 09:39 AM, said:

View Postniteye, on Aug 10 2010, 11:36 AM, said:

Quite surprising, I figured since they fly so much IRL they'd like some time off looking at a cockpit panel. :hrmm:

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Aug 10 2010, 11:19 AM, said:

Most pilots I've met can't even say 'flight simulator' with a straight face.
Why? Pilots I know said to have been quite impressed when shown with planes like the ones from PMDG. The CAE flight academy at Brussels natl. used MSFS and eyetracking for instrument scanning tests.

Even without addons  or fancy stuff, despite being simplistic is still quite a fun and entertaining game for whoever is interested in it, especially GA.
IMO it's only really ridiculous when people ask if you had any flight experience before and then say you flew in FS.

Most of them say the same thing. "Put down the video game, get off your butt, and learn how to really fly. It's worth the work and once you do, you'll never look back at the video game."

In my experience, flight simmers are generally very sound technically and are navigation whizzes compared to real world VFR pilots.

"Learn everything you can about IFR on the ground. Fly using Microsoft Flight Simulator or your other favorite sim Take your knowledge (written) test as soon as you can."

http://www.dauntless...boutifrtest.asp

Edited by ArmChairAviator, 10 August 2010 - 08:29 PM.

#62 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:08 PM

Wow.  Talk about a thread derailment.

Honestly folks.  If a response irritates you in some way, just ignore it.  Personally attacking someone over it is just asking for trouble.  Especially when it doesn't make a :hrmm: bit of difference.  From what I understand (I'm sure I'll be corrected of course), this argument started because other people's experiences disagreed with someone else's.  

In reference to the original post which started this stupidity, how is that even offensive?  I actually find it to be pretty true.  Flight sim doesn't do real flying any justice.  There's just no comparison to the two.  So if you can, you should definitely do get into real flying.  I really really really doubt that the intention of that statement was to put down people who can't fly do to various reasons.

It all depends on how you read it I guess.  At first I saw it to be a bit pretentious, but after reading it again, it seems like something a grandfather figure would say.  Not really in a harsh tone, but poking fun a bit.  Although I'm not sure how it was intended, that's how I took it.  Even still though, does it really matter?  I tend to look at it this way.  I work in the seafood department of a grocery store.  I deal with many different customers over the course of a shift.  If I got in an argument with every person who came across with what I perceived (the important bit) to be a harsh tone, I wouldn't have a job.  So in my mind, if you do just that, it just makes you look foolish.

Edited by TopDollar, 10 August 2010 - 09:13 PM.

#63 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

View PostTopDollar, on Aug 10 2010, 09:08 PM, said:

Honestly folks.  If a response irritates you in some way, just ignore it.  Personally attacking someone over it is just asking for trouble.  Especially when it doesn't make a :hrmm: bit of difference.  From what I understand (I'm sure I'll be corrected of course), this argument started because other people's experiences disagreed with someone else's.

Thank you. Nice to see someone has a shred of common sense.

#64 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:40 PM

I used FS a lot in my flight training...  mainly with NDB's because I had a hard time with it..   but even before I got all my licenses and even to this day I still play FS..  I just usually don't fly what I fly IRL..  I like choppers in FS, but I'm not a chopper pilot IRL..    at least not yet.

#65 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:53 AM

View PostTopDollar, on Aug 10 2010, 10:08 PM, said:

In reference to the original post which started this stupidity, how is that even offensive?  I actually find it to be pretty true.  Flight sim doesn't do real flying any justice.  There's just no comparison to the two.  So if you can, you should definitely do get into real flying.  I really really really doubt that the intention of that statement was to put down people who can't fly do to various reasons.

I didn't see anything offensive in the OP, or the following posts. Not all of us have the funds, the time, or the drive to do real flying. If we did then this forum would be dead as we would all be posting at someplace like A.net. The OP was asking if real pilots use flight sim, not if flight sim is realistic. It wouldn't make a difference anyway because not that many people without real experience can realistically simulate real flight, no matter how good or bad the dynamics are.

View PostTopDollar, on Aug 10 2010, 10:08 PM, said:

It all depends on how you read it I guess.  At first I saw it to be a bit pretentious, but after reading it again, it seems like something a grandfather figure would say.  Not really in a harsh tone, but poking fun a bit.  Although I'm not sure how it was intended, that's how I took it.  Even still though, does it really matter?  I tend to look at it this way.  I work in the seafood department of a grocery store.  I deal with many different customers over the course of a shift.  If I got in an argument with every person who came across with what I perceived (the important bit) to be a harsh tone, I wouldn't have a job.  So in my mind, if you do just that, it just makes you look foolish.

This isn't a argument but a disagreement of opinions. Work is one thing but the purpose of a online discussion board is to discuss different factors pertaining to the forum. Both you and Wampa_Stompa talk about just letting a argument go when it disagrees with your opinion, and you two need to practice what you preach or that's just another case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Edited by THBatMan8, 11 August 2010 - 08:34 AM.

#66 Adam.

Adam.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

Okay i've skipped 2 pages and read a bit of the stupidity on the typical FSW thread.

My Grandma's friend, flew in Vietnam and previous too vietnam as an air force squadron leader, in the lightnings and then went on to fly tornadoes for a small time before retiring.

I went to his house to fetch some pilot supplies and talk to him about the whole experience, and what did i find?  Walked into his PC room and he was sitting on FS9 with a tornado GR4 addon with one of those expensive joy sticks, and was telling me how much he loves it.

Now Wampa, if you only want to come on here to flame everyone, thinking you're some sort of FSW god, you better leave before you push it too far :hrmm:

#67 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

View PostAdam., on Aug 11 2010, 01:52 PM, said:

Now Wampa, if you only want to come on here to flame everyone, thinking you're some sort of FSW god, you better leave before you push it too far :hrmm:

I'll worry about that the moment I start flaming people, sweetie.

#68 Adam.

Adam.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:39 PM

Urgh you're so pathetic, is it your duty to piss everyone off?

#69 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

View PostAdam., on Aug 11 2010, 03:39 PM, said:

Urgh you're so pathetic, is it your duty to piss everyone off?

Yup, and it's a rather nice salary.

#70 Element94

Element94

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

I use FS.

Oh, that's right, my airplane isn't used to destroy things, and I'm not an egomaniac...Obviously I'm not a real pilot.

#71 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

View PostElement94, on Aug 11 2010, 05:12 PM, said:

I use FS.

Oh, that's right, my airplane isn't used to destroy things, and I'm not an egomaniac...Obviously I'm not a real pilot.

:P ;) :( :blink: :hmmm: :lol: :D :( :) :censored: :censored:

You ladies really must hate opposing viewpoints..that, or it's that time of the month!      :hrmm: :hrmm:

#72 Adam.

Adam.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:40 PM

Do you not understand, you're not funny wompa?

#73 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:43 PM

View PostAdam., on Aug 11 2010, 05:40 PM, said:

I'm not trying to be funny.  :hrmm:

If you act like a lady with your panties in a bunch, I will treat you as such.

#74 roboa

roboa

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:57 PM

^ Does that mean I get to treat you like a complete pillock? :hrmm:

#75 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Aug 11 2010, 05:43 PM, said:

View PostAdam., on Aug 11 2010, 05:40 PM, said:

I'm not trying to be funny.  :hrmm:

I iron my panties..

Light starch too.  Prevents unwanted wedgies

#76 .Andrew

.Andrew

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Aug 11 2010, 03:43 PM, said:

Whose acting like a lady?  :hrmm:

#77 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

I find it funny how people here look too much into comments and come up with some pretty asinine and baseless conclusions about the poster.

#78 Adam.

Adam.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:15 PM

I.E Wampa, the unwanted FSW scum ?!?!?

#79 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

View PostTopDollar, on Aug 11 2010, 06:03 PM, said:

I find it funny how people here look too much into comments and come up with some pretty asinine and baseless conclusions about the poster.

Scary...nay, terrifying is how many of them want to have the lives of hundreds of people in their paws one day.

I.E Wampa, the unwanted FSW scum ?!?!?

Given his earlier statement, I think he means you, darling.

Edited by Wampa_Stompa, 11 August 2010 - 06:16 PM.

#80 .Andrew

.Andrew

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:25 PM

View PostTopDollar, on Aug 11 2010, 04:03 PM, said:

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Aug 11 2010, 03:20 PM, said:

:P ;) :( :blink: :hmmm: :lol: :D :( :) :censored: :censored:

You ladies really must hate opposing viewpoints..that, or it's that time of the month!      :hrmm: :hrmm:

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Aug 11 2010, 03:43 PM, said:

I've bolded the key parts.

Edited by .Andrew, 11 August 2010 - 06:26 PM.