72 replies to this topic

#41 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:54 AM

so Toby. best way to OC, is simply increase Multiplier?

I've seen most that are at 4.7 have a Vcore of like 1.396V or something.

#42 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:34 AM

Only change multiplier, make sure your memory voltage is correct, don't exceed 1.4v for now.  There have been a few fried CPU's with voltages less than 1.4v but as Toby mentioned before, this was people playing with things other than the multiplier.

#43 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:36 AM

fried with less than 1.4v?????

oooh, yea.

Okay. RULES:

1. MULTIPLIER ONLY.
2. Stay under 1.4v

and everything should be okay? :hrmm: Yea? :hrmm:

#44 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:55 AM

Just a remark: I thought i7 CPUs were triple channel, which means that the best solution for the RAM is to use 3 identical sticks of memory ?
I have an i7 960, and I installed on my motherboard (Asus Rampage) 3x2Gb of RAM. 6Gb sure is standard today, but I don't think there are much games requiring more than that. Picture/video editing is another story, of course.

Good thing you changed your cooling system, it's important.

The video card should be fine for now.

#45 _BD6_

_BD6_

June '10 Screenshot Hotshot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

View PostDaube, on Jan 10 2011, 09:55 AM, said:

Just a remark: I thought i7 CPUs were triple channel, which means that the best solution for the RAM is to use 3 identical sticks of memory ?
I have an i7 960, and I installed on my motherboard (Asus Rampage) 3x2Gb of RAM. 6Gb sure is standard today, but I don't think there are much games requiring more than that. Picture/video editing is another story, of course.

Good thing you changed your cooling system, it's important.

The video card should be fine for now.
We're talking about Sandy Bridge here.. they use dual channel, but they make great use of it.

#46 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:53 AM

Ah I see. I thought ALL the i7 were ony triple channel, this was wrong. Thanks for the info :hrmm:

#47 Tree Trimmer

Tree Trimmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:12 PM

View Postb0gey_dead_six, on Jan 10 2011, 12:15 AM, said:

Haha - Understandable, I myself was considering 8GB too, but I decided to just take one stick out of my current Crucial Ballistix tracer red's to make it 4gb.

Seeing as the reviewers for sandy bridge are getting 5, 5.5ghz (on VERY high voltage) and actually seeing temps stay around 70c or less on a high end air cooler, the H50 is more than capable of matching those coolers. I did not realize the H70 was $100! The H50 would definitely make more sense as I can't see the H70 being much cooler than a H50 with one extra fan (push/pull configuration - having 2 fans on both sides of the radiator, one pulling air and the other pushing it out.)
Posted Image

As for the 8mb vs 6mb cache.. Not noticeable if you're doing it for basic things and FSX/gaming.  Barely even noticeable even if you were doing encoding and such.

quick edit: No the coolant is already in the H50 loop, All you have to do is install it.
Saw your edit, you have a Xigmatek cooler? That is probably going to be sufficient enough.

I'm Back!!!!   :hrmm:

After getting my last build finished I got so involved in what I was doing that I didn't have the time to check in on what everyone else was doing.

I joined up with bman a few years back and been flying with him as part of the Kodiak Club. Best move I made since I started to fly. :hrmm:  I learned more from him in the first few months than I learned over the two or so years of flying by my self. We have become Very Good Friends!!!!! :P

We are working together to do two builds his and a new one for me. For the most part they will be clones with a few exceptions in the HDs and GPUs. Anyway as I was going through the post and replies I saw the two fan / radiator setup and had a little laugh. When I put my external cooling and power distribution center together over two years ago I built my own radiator setup. The only difference is that I have the large radiators and they use 4 fans (Two on each side) because of the size of the radiators.

Now to the Point

Having the extra fans does make a difference. One fan blowing through a radiator encounters a lot of resistance because of the radiator core. The extra fan helps to overcome that. I saw a drop in the temperature of almost 20%. Not everyone will see the changes I saw because of the different environments the machine could be in. I live in an old house with window A/C and hot water heat. I have different temps in the same room within a few feet of each other and they change as people walk around the room. I know it's Crazy but that is the way it is.

Tree Trimmer (Bob Ski)

This is my flying setup

Posted Image

Machine with power and cooling center
Posted Image

#48 Angelo Cosma

Angelo Cosma

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:15 AM

View PostToby Werner, on Jan 10 2011, 05:35 AM, said:

Cosma - Didn't two high end fans cost your nearly $40?.... ok $30?

I purchased two Cooler Master 120mm 2000RPM fans, they were originally 15 each, but at the time, they were on sale 7 bucks each, thats still going on at Micorcenter by me right now.

#49 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:30 AM

The standard coolers on the H70 were a little noisy, not too bad though. I bought x2 120mm be quiet! fans.   They are excellent, don't hear a thing and the air blowing into the case is very strong.  I would recommend 2 fans and pull the air into the case.  I post some pics this evening.

Edited by Dr...Watson, 11 January 2011 - 04:31 AM.

#50 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

I am back piecing my system together on newegg.  I have a couple of questions

1)  I know we were discussing ram CAS latency - 9 versus 8 versus 7.   Prices have a steep curve going to 7 on 2x4GB strips.   In general it seems that you can get 1333 CAS 7 for the same price as 1600 CAS 9 in the RipJaw series.   I would guess that the 1600 is faster inspite of the CAD time?

2) I have been an ASUS fanboy for the past year or so - I am not oppposed to MSI or any one else for that matter.  Given the reports on the latest ASUS P8P67 Bios, I am considering the MSI.

Are there other compelling reasons to go MSI over ASUS for the mobo?

#51 _TW_

_TW_

First Class Member\Screenshot Hotshot of 2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:35 PM

No compelling reasons really, both will do their job nicely.  1333 CAS 7 vs 1600 CAS 9 is a tough call...I would have to say that it's pretty even.  Sweet spot I'd suggest is 1600 CAS 8.  I wouldn't recommend such a loose latency at 1600.

#52 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

Bios 1003 is the latest none Beta bios and seems totally stable for everyone.  The bios it ships with (204, 404, 604) is another story.  Flashing it is even easier with the new EFI.  I wouldn't choose MSI due to the bios, I heard the bios works just as well but is not as easy to use as Asus.  There are now official memory released for Sandy Bridge, not really important to get it but if you can find stock then maybe worth while.

http://forums.overcl....php?t=18228572

Edited by Dr...Watson, 12 January 2011 - 01:40 PM.

#53 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

It appears that latency will jump from 9 to 7 at the 1600 speeds....  don't see any 8's at least in the GSkill flavor.

DrWatson - Interesting : The model I have in my cart is F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL - The models they list in that thread is the same number EXCEPT for 8GBXL.   There is an "x" instead of the "r" at the end.  Hmmm...

No problem on flashing the Bios.

#54 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

Hardly anyone has officially approved memory, doesn't seem to be a big deal.

#55 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

Well, if they are in stock over the never couple of days, I will get it...

#56 Tree Trimmer

Tree Trimmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

Ben you know I'm watching this carefully …….. I found that Toby and Dr…Watson always have good advice.
SO you are putting hardware in the cart. I'll be right on your tail with this. I hope this build will do the trick with the new scenery and other addons we are using. With all the advice and research going on I don't see why it shouldn't. I'll be putting my order in by the end of the month or sooner. It depends on the total and if I have to sell that item I told you about.

Tree Trimmer (Bob Ski)

#57 _BD6_

_BD6_

June '10 Screenshot Hotshot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:30 PM

View PostBman., on Jan 12 2011, 01:53 PM, said:

Well, if they are in stock over the never couple of days, I will get it...

I wouldn't sweat it.. they don't have much to change with memory if anything at all for SB.

I'm currently using 4GB of my 6GB crucial ballistix ddr3 1600, rock solid at cas8 even undervolted to 1.6v

#58 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

Ok - added a few components...

Posted Image

#59 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:58 AM

Ok, today may be the day.  

What do you guys think about the RAM options below.  Worth the $60 to go from CAS 9 to CAS 7?  This is the new G.Skill ram ..

Posted Image

#60 Tree Trimmer

Tree Trimmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

I'm going to order the MOBO, CPU, Arctic Silver, CPU Cooler and maybe the Ram today. If I get the order in before
12: Noon my time I'll have the order on Saturday.

As soon as the case comes in today I'll start doing the Mods on it. Now that I'm going for the SSDs I can use most of the HD bays for the cooling setup. I don't like a case that looks crowded.

Tree Trimmer (Bob Ski)

Edited by Tree Trimmer, 14 January 2011 - 10:26 AM.