• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#101 _TW_

_TW_

First Class Member\Screenshot Hotshot of 2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

What works for you might not work for others.  What works for others might not work for you.  But you can't assume one will "fail" because they have higher bills than you might.  I personally could live very comfortably off of 40k a year, but the next guy might not.  I don't start assuming that my way is the only way and that the other person will fail at life if they don't follow my way of life.  That's just crazy.

I'm breaking the rules by calling you ignorant? That's called tough love.  You ask for it in they way you respond to people.  People automatically have issues if they can't live off of 2k a month?  You've thrown around some heavy phrases as well sir.

Edited by Itanimulli, 27 February 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#102 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

View PostItanimulli, on Feb 27 2012, 08:24 PM, said:

What works for you might not work for others.  What works for others might not work for you.  But you can't assume one will "fail" because they have higher bills than you might.  I personally could live very comfortably off of 40k a year, but the next guy might not.  I don't start assuming that my way is the only way and that the other person will fail at life if they don't follow my way of life.  That's just crazy.
You just reiterated what I've been arguing over. My current job pays 40k a year and I live fine off of it. The examples other members gave me of why they couldn't live off 40k were bad examples. For starters, no apartment complex will lease a $972/month apartment to someone making 40k a year, because they know you have other expenses. The members arguing against my standpoint want to buy frivolous things, which is why they cant live on that salary. Anyone can live on 40k.

Edited by THBatMan8, 27 February 2012 - 10:31 PM.

#103 HighFlyin

HighFlyin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

View PostTHBatMan8, on Feb 27 2012, 10:19 PM, said:

The same can be said for you. See my edit. I was responding to Highflying. Not speaking in general terms. No apartment complex in their right state of mind would lease a apartment that costs 972 to someone making 40k a year.

And since when was it alright for moderators to break forum rules?

What!? Why do you think the US is in the :hrmm: ?

Edited by HighFlyin, 27 February 2012 - 10:35 PM.

#104 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

View PostHighFlyin, on Feb 27 2012, 08:34 PM, said:

What!? Why do you think the US is in the :hrmm:?
We've been in the B) for the last 10ish years, dude. Our economy sucks.

Edited by THBatMan8, 27 February 2012 - 10:38 PM.

#105 _TW_

_TW_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

But see, I've rented a $800 apartment before by myself making under 30k a year, so again, what you are stating is incorrect.  Yeah the other members might want to live a more luxurious lifestyle than you or me, but I'm sure they know how to properly manage their expenses.  You're doing fine, I'm doing fine, I'm sure the others guys are doing fine as well.

Edited by Itanimulli, 27 February 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#106 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

View PostItanimulli, on Feb 27 2012, 08:36 PM, said:

But see, I've rented a $800 apartment before by myself making under 30k a year, so again, what you are stating is incorrect.  Yeah the other members might want to live a more luxurious lifestyle than you or me, but I'm sure they know how to properly manage their expenses.
Was the complex privately owned or owned by a corporation? If it was owned by a corporation, that shouldn't have happened because they all perform employment/income checks. Private owners could care less.

#107 _TW_

_TW_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:39 PM

Not private, they are all over the USA.  Ran all the checks.

#108 HighFlyin

HighFlyin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

View PostTHBatMan8, on Feb 27 2012, 10:29 PM, said:

You just reiterated what I've been arguing over. My current job pays 40k a year and I live fine off of it. The examples other members gave me of why they couldn't live off 40k were bad examples. For starters, no apartment complex will lease a $972/month apartment to someone making 40k a year, because they know you have other expenses. The members arguing against my standpoint want to buy frivolous things, which is why they cant live on that salary. Anyone can live on 40k.

I don't want frivolous things. I want normal things. There's nothing frivolous or baller about driving around in a Toyota Camry with an MSRP of $19K.

#109 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

View PostHighFlyin, on Feb 27 2012, 08:40 PM, said:

I don't want frivolous things. I want normal things. There's nothing frivolous or baller about driving around in a Toyota Camry with an MSRP of $19K.
It is compared to what I drive. :hrmm:

Anyhow, continuing using your example with that high rent; getting a used car is a better option. You can take that down payment and walk out the door with a really nice used car.

View PostItanimulli, on Feb 27 2012, 08:39 PM, said:

Not private, they are all over the USA.  Ran all the checks.
That's beyond me. Income verification was required by my apartment complex. They also required you to pass a criminal backround check.

#110 _TW_

_TW_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

Yup, I went through all the same checks.

#111 HighFlyin

HighFlyin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

View PostTHBatMan8, on Feb 27 2012, 10:35 PM, said:

We've been in the :hrmm: for the last 10ish years, dude. Our economy sucks.

I never said America just went in to the :( .

And what was a big reason for that? Because banks would approve people for insane mortgages with ballooning payments that they knew people couldn't pay it off. So this whole thing about not being allowed to lease or rent a $972 a month apartment (which is average for my city may I remind you, nothing frivolous), is pure B).

Which brings me back to my other point, just because you live in a $600 a month apartment, doesn't mean at all that's what the average is. Please stop making :( up.

#112 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

View PostItanimulli, on Feb 27 2012, 08:47 PM, said:

Yup, I went through all the same checks.
OK, what's your secret? This just doesn't add up. B)

View PostHighFlyin, on Feb 27 2012, 08:48 PM, said:

Which brings me back to my other point, just because you live in a $600 a month apartment, doesn't mean at all that's what the average is. Please stop making :hrmm: up.
I never made that assumption based on solely what I pay. If I did I would have stated the average was 450 and not 600.

#113 _TW_

_TW_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

View PostTHBatMan8, on Feb 27 2012, 10:50 PM, said:

OK, what's your secret? This just doesn't add up. :hrmm:

Ha, there's no secret.  Maybe a decent credit score?  Might be irrelevant but might it vary in different parts of the country?

#114 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

View PostItanimulli, on Feb 27 2012, 08:52 PM, said:

Ha, there's no secret.  Maybe a decent credit score?  Might be irrelevant but might it vary in different parts of the country?
Credit scores don't dictate whether or not you get a lease. They come more into play when you look to buy properties. Complexes look to see if you have anything in default as that tells them more about your payment history. I know this as my credit absolutely sucks right now.

Edited by THBatMan8, 27 February 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#115 _TW_

_TW_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

View PostTHBatMan8, on Feb 27 2012, 10:55 PM, said:

Credit scores don't dictate whether or not you get a lease. They come more into play when you look to buy properties. Complexes look to see if you have anything in default as that tells them more about your payment history. I know this as my credit absolutely sucks right now.

Well I'm just throwing things out there since you asked for some secrets.

#116 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

View PostItanimulli, on Feb 27 2012, 09:01 PM, said:

Well I'm just throwing things out there since you asked for some secrets.
Right. Did you have another resident (working adult) on the lease contract? Like a GF?

Edited by THBatMan8, 27 February 2012 - 11:03 PM.

#117 _TW_

_TW_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

Posted Image

I don't know why that started playing in my head right after I was about to reply with "all by myself".

Edited by Itanimulli, 27 February 2012 - 11:22 PM.

#118 shamupilot

shamupilot

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

Man this topic has really gone down the crapper hasn't it?

And yes the economy sucks nowadays it's hard to get a job, etc... but living costs differ from state to state correct? House/Apartment costs differ from state to state correct?

We each live in a different part of the world or in a different part of the country. Things are bound to differ from place to place. Let's all Respect that and let's get back to whoever started the topic.

For goodness sakes you all act like a bunch of 5th graders.

#119 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

View Postshamupilot, on Feb 28 2012, 07:24 PM, said:

Man this topic has really gone down the crapper hasn't it?

And yes the economy sucks nowadays it's hard to get a job, etc... but living costs differ from state to state correct? House/Apartment costs differ from state to state correct?

We each live in a different part of the world or in a different part of the country. Things are bound to differ from place to place. Let's all Respect that and let's get back to whoever started the topic.

For goodness sakes you all act like a bunch of 5th graders.
I didn't want to argue either. It's the same members that want to argue with me over EVERY little thing I say. Opinions are like a-holes. Everyone's got one and everyone elses opinion is wrong.

Edited by THBatMan8, 29 February 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#120 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

View PostTHBatMan8, on Feb 29 2012, 06:31 PM, said:

I didn't want to argue either. It's the same members that want to argue with me over EVERY little thing I say. Opinions are like a-holes. Everyone's got one and everyone elses opinion is wrong.
Butchered the saying a bit there :hrmm:

Everyone else's arsehole is wrong? B)