58 replies to this topic

#1 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

Microsoft Flight is released. Play it and post in here your opinion or a short review.

#2 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

Can we not just post our review without playing it, would save a lot of hassle....

#3 EduardoSpaz

EduardoSpaz

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

Its too expensive
It sucks
I hate it
It looks no better than FSX
Why cant they just release this as a service pack to FSX
I hate it

I havent played it.  Nor while I for awhile.

#4 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

Too expensive.....if only it was free!

#5 Heimi77

Heimi77

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

It`s better than FSX in terms of performance, flightphysics and gfx.

But it lacks the rest of the world, airliners, radio and ATC.
And its too expensive for the dlc, of course.

Edited by Heimi77, 28 February 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#6 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

the question is... who's gonna be the first to buy the rest of hawaii and the other planes... and do a review :hrmm:

#7 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

View PostHeimi77, on Feb 28 2012, 11:20 PM, said:

airliners, radio and ATC.

:hrmm:

#8 Guest_caaront_*

Guest_caaront_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

Can't wait to download and try it out.

It was never said or implyed that Flight was the next Flight Simulator 11, people are let down because of their own assumptions.

#9 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

View Postcaaront, on Feb 28 2012, 06:13 PM, said:

Can't wait to download and try it out.

It was never said or implyed that Flight was the next Flight Simulator 11, people are let down because of their own assumptions.

considering what microsoft flight sim is.... there are no assumptions only.... expectations.

#10 Santa

Santa

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

I would rather review a packet of crisps (chips for the Americans) than this "simulator".

Edited by Santa, 28 February 2012 - 05:34 PM.

#11 Jonay

Jonay

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

View PostSanta, on Feb 28 2012, 10:34 PM, said:

than this "simulator".

To be fair - it isn't climing to be a sim

#12 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:36 AM

here is my very in depth review:

- played the beta..  thought it sucked. then it wouldn't load do to a "corrupt install"

- found out there were updates to the beta... re-downloaded. no updates for me. gave it another go... sucked again. then "corrupt install" again

- downloaded the release package. no options for custom install... at least none that popped up... so it installed on the hd i didn't want it to. that pissed me of already

- first thing i did was go to options and look for everything that was missing in the demo. found out there was nothing missing in the demo.. they intentionally made it that retarded.   no options, no customization, laughable controls ("airplane on")

- played the sim.. oh sorry, game. first i noticed they changed the water... looks slightly better at night.. but in daytime look more fake than before. played through ALL the missions and challenges (not counting the repetitive ones.. $100 hamburg for instance) in about an hour.  the loop courses had 60+ knot winds that u were forced to fly against??? i was like wth?   then...... there was literally nothing else to do.

- noticed there was a "preview" of the mustang and the maule.  download both and installed. preview mustang was flyable.. no cockpit. lack luster exterior.  no animated pilot. you're supposed to pay 8 dollars for this? (putting in the default planes from fsx without any updates to them... would have been better) as for the maule... the preview is apparently not flyable. all it does is show up in the hanger.    proceeded to wonder why i just wasted 2 hours...   then proceeded to laugh. then uninstalled.

the end

THERE IS LITERALLY NOTHING TO REVIEW....

Edited by jcovelli, 29 February 2012 - 03:41 AM.

#13 Hawke

Hawke

Video Hotshot Nov '05

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:01 AM

Much better than FSX in terms of performance out of the box however this could be because of the amount of things that have been left out of Flight compared to FSX and FS9.

But it lacks the rest of the world, airliners, radio and ATC.

Totally agree

- downloaded the release package. no options for custom install... at least none that popped up... so it installed on the hd i didn't want it to. that pissed me of already

There isn't when installing the game but if you go to Games For Windows settings menu before installing theres a menu called install managment you can change the directory there.

At the moment I wouldn't class this as a sim rather a game like everyone else, have we seen the last of Flight Simulator franchise as we know it or will microsoft listen to their customers some who have been with this franchise for decades?

#14 _TW_

_TW_

First Class Member\Screenshot Hotshot of 2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:03 AM

I'm not expecting any new simulators from Microsoft; nor do I really care if they make another one.  I'll put my support behind someone like Aerosoft.  They understand what we really want.

#15 Jonay

Jonay

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:48 AM

View Post_TW_, on Feb 29 2012, 09:03 AM, said:

I'm not expecting any new simulators from Microsoft; nor do I really care if they make another one.  I'll put my support behind someone like Aerosoft.  They understand what we really want.

What about XP?

#16 _TW_

_TW_

First Class Member\Screenshot Hotshot of 2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:57 AM

True, forgot about XP (Although AeroFly or whatever it's called, to me, is the best I've seen so far).

Edited by _TW_, 29 February 2012 - 06:57 AM.

#17 JohnMagill

JohnMagill

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

View Post_TW_, on Feb 29 2012, 06:57 AM, said:

True, forgot about XP (Although AeroFly or whatever it's called, to me, is the best I've seen so far).
I've just spent about 2 hours with the demo of XP 10.  If a new comer buys it they won't be able to find there way around it.
The different options, seems to be loads over the top with that.
After I had to make my virtual memory accessible it took 7 minutes to load.  I only got a passenger liner, other planes are not there for demo.  I could only use the keyboard, (only used basic keys to get me flying). It says , in the many pages it gives, That I could use a joystick, (haven't got one), yoke, and paddles - as long as there 'CH products' - mine are 'Saitek'.
I could only use the wheel, up, down, left, right, the rest was useless.  To be fair I could probably 'program' it eventually but that is something else to learn again.  I tried to get one of the manuals but it answered ".... corrupted, can't be repaired....." or words to that effect.
As a demo you are told that it only lasts for 15 minutes.
I couldn't 'flight end' and start again like FSX but only had a 'quit' in the drop down menu which it dumped the program completely.
I took it to 'location' for Heathrow airport but all I got was the runway surrounded by water, well it did tell me.
What I did see at the start was very good scenery, better than FSX.
Now this is not a complaint, just how I found it.  I took everything into account about learning thing differently etc, but I'm reluctant to spend £60 on X-plane 10 because there is so much I couldn't do to help me change my mind.

#18 Jonay

Jonay

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostJohnMagill, on Feb 29 2012, 02:13 PM, said:

I've just spent about 2 hours with the demo of XP 10.  If a new comer buys it they won't be able to find there way around it.The different options, seems to be loads over the top with that.

True - it's a lot different to FSX - but a lot more customizable.

After I had to make my virtual memory accessible it took 7 minutes to load.
What's you system specs?

I only got a passenger liner, other planes are not there for demo.

Not true. You go to aircraft and then you use the drop down box to go back up a level into Aircraft then go into the subtopic of aircraft you wish to fly - excluding the "Experimentals" there are at least 10 good basic aircraft to try out.

I could only use the keyboard, (only used basic keys to get me flying). It says , in the many pages it gives, That I could use a joystick, (haven't got one), yoke, and paddles - as long as there 'CH products' - mine are 'Saitek'.

Nowhere does it say that it only accepts CH Products - the CH Products are specific hardware entries that have customizable profiles designed to work alongside XP

I could only use the wheel, up, down, left, right, the rest was useless.  To be fair I could probably 'program' it eventually but that is something else to learn again.

I'm sure you were once in the same situation with FSX/FS9 when you first got it

As a demo you are told that it only lasts for 15 minutes.
I couldn't 'flight end' and start again like FSX but only had a 'quit' in the drop down menu which it dumped the program completely.

That's the point in the demo - even if you could "end flight" like in MSFS - the disabled control inputs would still be active until the sim is restarted.

I took it to 'location' for Heathrow airport but all I got was the runway surrounded by water, well it did tell me.

The demo only covers KSEA (Seattle) no other scenery included.

What I did see at the start was very good scenery, better than FSX.

Out of the box - it is much more accurate than FSX - the textures might be a little off - but the majority of it is good. They use Open Street Map for their road placement and DEM data for terrain mesh.

Now this is not a complaint, just how I found it.  I took everything into account about learning thing differently etc, but I'm reluctant to spend £60 on X-plane 10 because there is so much I couldn't do to help me change my mind.

Agreed it takes a lot of getting used to - but when you are used to it it is better than MSFS. We just need to wait for more addons to come along.

#19 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

This is not a discussion thread for X-Plane!!!

#20 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

I am weeping right now! :hrmm:
"Flight" could have been FS-11!

dVlCwPQNUN0