• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Jetset

Jetset

Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

I love it. Back to basics flight sim with the potential of becoming FS Next.

And above all, It does exactly what it says on the tin. IT WORKS.
Something FSX has never done for me ever since it's release.

#42 162db

162db

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

Flying a polished turd would be better

#43 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

i don't think there's anything good in flight at all. and the elements which are "good"... is really just what fsx should have been to begin with. getting it now 6 years later is completely unimpressive.  they needed to start from scratch with NEW engine to make the look and feel more realistic and up to todays standards .  the fake cartoony, terrible blurry texture look doesn't do it for me. neither does any of the game play. and free flight is good... for 2 hours while you're exploring.. after that.. what are you gonna do?  the best part having the entire world (no matter how poorly it's depicted) is that there is ALWAYS someplace new to fly.  flight is uninspired, unimpressive, and boring. been there done that.

#44 Jetset

Jetset

Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

I really cant wait to view these posts in like 5 years time. (if I'm still around)

#45 Capt_Gabe

Capt_Gabe

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

View PostJetset, on Mar 2 2012, 06:29 PM, said:

I love it. Back to basics flight sim with the potential of becoming FS Next.

And above all, It does exactly what it says on the tin. IT WORKS.
Something FSX has never done for me ever since it's release.
I know what you're saying, the thing that pees me off is that it is so basic, I mean theres faff all in it, and If I'm going to have to fork out whats looking like lots of dosh for expansion stuff, like more countries etc, well i'm just not going to be doing that. The technical capabilities of it look ok to me, but the user interface and the sales/marketing aspects of it just leave me feeling sick. So hopefully you are right, and it will be something we will all stay up all night at, in time to come, but right now theres only about ten minutes interest in it for me, and I'm not going to get hooked into a Microsoft points type sales regime, all my spare cash has gone on buying stuff to try make FSX work reasonably well. I was hoping I'd see a proper "fixed" FSX which capitalised on lots of the great ideas that emerge from communities like this one, or Avsim etc., and one that also utilised the more common up to date technologies available on reasonably current hardware platforms. So no all nighters for me, I'm going to bed early, feeling sick. Msoft don't seem to have listened to anything much at all coming from the wide base of thier flight sim users. I bet those ex Aces guys are turning in their MS graves.. What a wasted opportunity.  :hrmm:

#46 tyrick69

tyrick69

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

I played FSX this morning for about 45 minutes and found it infinitely more enjoyable than the time I've spent with Flight so far, popup autogen scenery and all.  I took a short flight in the Beaver from a lake where I live in NJ to a seaport in Long Island Sound.  I had Real World Weather, a  500 foot ceiling, and 17mph winds and it was just so much fun because I was familiar with the area I was flying, and had control over so many more aspects of the aircraft.  I also knew that if I got bored with where I was going, I could make a turn and go anywhere in the world.  I think FSX still has a lot to offer as the hardware of today has finally caught up to the software, and those of us who had a hard time enjoying it early on with our modest rigs, can get a lot more out of it today.

#47 Tobe-le-Rone

Tobe-le-Rone

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

As a beta tester I always hoped the final release would have everything I missed like ATC, AI traffic. But as good as Flight looks on my old hardware it's the limitations I find the most repelling, like tyrick69 said. In beta I had all Hawaii islands which was some area to explore but now I'm stuck on that one island and I hate it so much, I'm never gonna fly there again in any simulator. There has been said enough about pricing so, I'll skip that. I'm out.

#48 n4gix

n4gix

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

Well, I found out something about the DLC of which I'd been completely unaware.

It all began innocently enough when a fellow at AVSIM asked if he'd have to repurchase the DLC just so his young son (8yrs) could start tracking his own stats.

I asked in the beta forum because I'm able to quickly get a reply directly from the devs. I was surprised to learn that yes, all DLC is "locked" to a specific user account/Gamertag. That allows the Gamertag to be used from any computer on which Flight is installed (such as a laptop when travelling, logging in from a friends computer, etc.), but could not be used by another person in the same household...

Well, poo! I have a friend with eight  boys, all of whom are flightsim addicts (as is my friend himself). That means he'd need to spend $180 just to have nine copies of the same Hawaiian Adventure Pack; one for each person!!!!

Um, that's just not going to happen...

Which means, no matter how nicely Flight ever develops, my friend (and presumably many others in the same boat) will NOT become Flight consumers.  :hrmm:

#49 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

View Postn4gix, on Mar 3 2012, 07:26 PM, said:

Which means, no matter how nicely Flight ever develops, my friend (and presumably many others in the same boat) will NOT become Flight consumers.  B)

Or just pay once and not give a :hrmm: about stats. FSX only had a logbook and rewards.

#50 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

To be fair I don't think there are too many boats full of people who have 8 flightsim fan kids. :hrmm: But yes that sucks.

#51 Capt_Gabe

Capt_Gabe

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

The whole idea sucks, the whole product sucks, the whole - - - the whole darn thing is a fffkn joke instead of a marketable product, what were they thinking ???.

#52 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

View PostCapt_Gabe, on Mar 3 2012, 07:50 PM, said:

what were they thinking ???.
They were thinking of having a game with profits 100% from DLC.

See: Team Fortress 2.

Team Fortress 2 succeeds because the entire game is available to everyone. The DLC is purely aesthetic.

Flight falls on it's face because it relies 100% on DLC to actually have a feature-rich game.

#53 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:05 AM

View Post-Dexter, on Mar 3 2012, 09:36 PM, said:

They were thinking of having a game with profits 100% from DLC.

See: Team Fortress 2.
Team Fortress 2 succeeds because the entire game is available to everyone. The DLC is purely aesthetic.

Flight falls on it's face because it relies 100% on DLC to actually have a feature-rich game.
Also TF2 is a game that millions of kids enjoy to play and are more easily enticed if they see their friend has a digital hat.
Flight has no user base, not even the Flightsim community as it's not geared towards them (and that community is probably a lot smaller than the TF2 one).

#54 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:16 AM

Finally back! God. Never want that to happen again! I was waking up in the middle of the night with cold sweats for heavens sake!

Anyway:

Downloaded last night to see if it was identical to the beta....

It was.

They want you to pay twenty dollars for the rest of one state? You have got to be kidding me. Still no ATC, no AI...no map...no replays...no flight planning...should I go on? Everything has been said.

Even if I try to take it for what it is, like some people are here. Just a game. I still cant get in to it. The missions are juvenile...there's nothing to do. If they wanted to make an arcade game, they really did a poor job. They should have released multiple areas like Hawaii across the globe. High quality, AI, ATC and the like. Then made that into an arcade game. That would have sold. They could cross platform that too. Then they wouldn't have to worry about FPS at all because it would be like any other game, only rendering a smaller area...to be honest? A complete game like that would probably be a bit of fun! But thats not what they have here..

Here they have an empty shell...and they don't have the right drive and motivation to make it into something that people will want to play for an extended period of time like FSX and FS9...Flight will die off very quickly minus a few users here and there. I foresee no drastic change in the flight simming community as a result of this release!

BTW...I am a Doctor sooo....im obviously right :hrmm:

#55 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:54 AM

[delete]

Edited by ChaoticBeauty, 04 March 2012 - 04:58 AM.

#56 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

I didn't download or play MS Flight but here's my review:

#57 touchdown

touchdown

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

Where's my "FREE FLIGHT"?  :hrmm:
Only plus: performance.

#58 ollyau

ollyau

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

View Posttouchdown, on Mar 4 2012, 05:20 AM, said:

Where's my "FREE FLIGHT"?  :hrmm:
Only plus: performance.
Uh, it's still there.  After you complete the first two missions (which are required, unfortunately), you are allowed to use free flight.  Just select it from the option on the left of the map screen.

#59 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

View Postollyau, on Mar 4 2012, 01:47 PM, said:

Uh, it's still there.  After you complete the first two missions (which are required, unfortunately), you are allowed to use free flight.  Just select it from the option on the left of the map screen.

i think he means that when you only have 6 options.... it's really not free flight

#60 CharlesRal

CharlesRal

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:12 AM

QIP.RU