#1 tubelius

tubelius

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

Here's a photo: https://docs.google....RW1hUTYwTmZTRWs

I'm trying to land to Beijing Capital (ZBAA) CAT II ILS 36R (IQU). The ILS seems to give the correct readings, but the autopilot won't align with the runway. It is headed for the start of the runway but with an angle from left to right. I could see the correct readings and land manually, why doesn't the autopilot align with the runway?

I have Flight Simulator X with Acceleration and registered FSUIPC. I'm flying 747-400.

Edited by tubelius, 11 September 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#2 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

Looks like it's got a bit of problem with correcting for wind?  Or maybe the ILS file is off.  Does this happen on other ILS approaches too or just into Beijing 34R?

BTW, the inbound course for 34R is 359 degrees...   not 340 like what you have set.  That won't change anything though, ILS doesn't care what's on the CDI/OBS.

#3 tubelius

tubelius

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

I doubt it's related to wind. I could make a right and then left turn to align with the runway myself. If the ILS file was off, shouldn't the navigation screen show that it is aligned? By the way, the runway is 36R. I have made one successfull ILS landing before this, it was to Helsinki-Vantaa. I don't have much experience of ILS. I followed the ATC instructions until they said "fly straight in". On that moment I turned on approach. Soon it found localizer and disabled heading hold. It also found glideslope later and disabled altitude hold. The attitude seems perfect, I don't know why it doesn't make the right and left turn when the navigation screen clearly displays the plane is not aligned with the runway 36R.

Edited by tubelius, 11 September 2012 - 11:31 PM.

#4 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:00 AM

In the picture you provided, it doesn't look like the CDI is centered..  it does look slightly off.  I would download an AFCAD file for Peking and see if that fixes the problem.

#5 tubelius

tubelius

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

Sounds like worth trying. Where do I find this AFCAD file for ZBAA?

#6 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

There's on on Avsim.com called zbaa_ade_rs_fsx.zip.  I'm not sure if it fixes the problem though.  It does add the 3rd runway and a new terminal area though.

#7 tubelius

tubelius

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

Thanks. I managed to get it aligned now. For some reason it does not pull up before touch down. It will come nose gear first and crash.  :o

Where is the autobrake switch in 747?

Edited by tubelius, 12 September 2012 - 12:11 PM.

#8 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

ILS is not autoland.  The glideslope will get you to about 200 feet AGL, and below that it should be for reference only.  You'll need to get a more advanced airplane, like PMDG's 747 if you want to simulate autoland.

I'm not sure where the autobrake switch is, I think it's on the center console.  I usually stick to general aviation planes.

#9 tubelius

tubelius

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

Aah, thanks! So what's the "right way" to land? How do real pilots usually land a plane like 747 nowadays? Do they use autoland? Do they use ILS and finish manually?

#10 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Depends on what you define as "real pilots," though it's not really the pilot in question, it's the aircraft and airport.  Autoland is typically only on newer model airliners.  If it's VFR, most pilots will fly a visual approach, using the ILS for informational purposes only.  Even if the autopilot is on and following the ILS, it's still considered a visual approach, because the primary source of attitude is what the pilots see outside.  Of course, some airports though, like Atlanta Jackson (KATL) and O'Hare (KORD) put you on a final way out long before you see the runway, because of the amount of traffic..   those probably follow the localizer, until the aircraft is cleared for the approach, by then either the glide slope is coming in, or the crew have the airport in sight.  Some airports, like KDCA, have published visual approaches and LDA approaches, which is similar to an ILS, but it doesn't align you with the runway.  

747's can also do visual approaches, it's pretty much whatever ATC issues and what the crew requests.  Most of the time, if they are flying an ILS, they'll let the autopilot fly it, and land manually.  Most ILS's are not reliable below 200 feet, and once you pass 1000 feet past the beginning of the runway, the glide slope isn't even available.  However, pilots and aircraft that are certified to use autoland (if the aircraft is equipped with it) I think they have to do one every 6 months or so.

#11 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

View Post_NW_, on 14 September 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

Depends on what you define as "real pilots," though it's not really the pilot in question, it's the aircraft and airport. Autoland is typically only on newer model airliners. If it's VFR, most pilots will fly a visual approach, using the ILS for informational purposes only. Even if the autopilot is on and following the ILS, it's still considered a visual approach, because the primary source of attitude is what the pilots see outside. Of course, some airports though, like Atlanta Jackson (KATL) and O'Hare (KORD) put you on a final way out long before you see the runway, because of the amount of traffic.. those probably follow the localizer, until the aircraft is cleared for the approach, by then either the glide slope is coming in, or the crew have the airport in sight. Some airports, like KDCA, have published visual approaches and LDA approaches, which is similar to an ILS, but it doesn't align you with the runway.

747's can also do visual approaches, it's pretty much whatever ATC issues and what the crew requests. Most of the time, if they are flying an ILS, they'll let the autopilot fly it, and land manually. Most ILS's are not reliable below 200 feet, and once you pass 1000 feet past the beginning of the runway, the glide slope isn't even available. However, pilots and aircraft that are certified to use autoland (if the aircraft is equipped with it) I think they have to do one every 6 months or so.

I think you meant to say VMC, not VFR. You will rarely see a 744 fly VFR. :P

Also tagged with ILS