- - - - -

Types of VA

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
113 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you prefer VAs that are like the Flying Tigers Group where you can change airlines as much as you want, or single airline vas? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you prefer VAs that are like the Flying Tigers Group where you can change airlines as much as you want, or single airline vas?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#41 nyaviator

nyaviator

Student Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:17 PM

erict, on Dec 12 2004, 11:03 PM, said:

The FTG is not a flightsim school.
That's your choice, but I haven't seen one VA out there (other then yours) that doesn't accept pilots because they aren't professionals. Not to say that the questions on your tests are that difficult, but they are still things that many amateur flight sim pilots would have no where to learn but through a VA. Many of the things you ask I have no idea what you're talking about. Why? I'm not a real pilot. Would I like to learn them? Yes. Will I learn them through FTG, No. I will only be tested on them.

#42 nyaviator

nyaviator

Student Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:20 PM

sq232, on Dec 12 2004, 08:33 PM, said:

I like flying tigers group, and its setup.

With a great mangment team, and dynamic array of airlines to choose, you can, assign yourself to one airline, one aircraft if you want, or you can fly the airlines of the world!!!
I agree, I just wish they were more amateur friendly.

#43 erict

erict

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:20 PM

Actually that is not true.

For years most respectible virtual airlines or VA groups have entrance exams, check flights or both.

#44 arkskylark

arkskylark

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:26 PM

Would I like to learn them? Yes. Will I learn them through FTG, No. I will only be tested on them.
With all due respect to you sir, I really don't understand why would you make such a statement like that. Thats arrogance + ignorance = arrignorance!

Edited by arkskylark, 12 December 2004 - 10:31 PM.

#45 nyaviator

nyaviator

Student Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:31 PM

erict, on Dec 12 2004, 11:20 PM, said:

Actually that is not true.

For years most respectible virtual airlines or VA groups have entrance exams, check flights or both.
Could you tell me which ones do it like you, please. I would like to see, because most majors including...

- Delta VA www.deltava.org
- American VA www.joinava.org
- US Air VA www.usairwaysva.com
- Southwest VA www.virtualswa.com

And many more sometimes do have an entrance exam, but they use it to determine a pilots rank, not whether they are worthy or not.

All I, and probably on behalf of many people debating here are asking is that you use your Entrance Exam to do something like determining a pilots rank, and for scheduling training. You obviously have the power, and it would look good for such a large group.

If the FTG would just help the less-experienced pilots out a little more, I think FTG would be great.  :D  (Although I still don't like multiple VAs, but as someone pointed out you don't have to be a part of them all)

Edited by nyaviator, 12 December 2004 - 10:32 PM.

#46 nyaviator

nyaviator

Student Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:35 PM

arkskylark, on Dec 12 2004, 11:26 PM, said:

Would I like to learn them? Yes. Will I learn them through FTG, No. I will only be tested on them.
With all due respect to you sir, I really don't understand why would you make such a statement like that. Thats arrogance + ignorance = arrignorance!
Its constructive-criticism, sorry if I sound that way but I was trying to make a point.

#47 arkskylark

arkskylark

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:37 PM

And many more sometimes do have an entrance exam, but they use it to determine a pilots rank, not whether they are worthy or not.
I am sure you have heard of TYPE RATINGS. Its something that we are working on lately (ofcourse its something that will take time to finalise) and will surely use them with efficiency. I for once cann't comment about the entrance exams, as its Eric's choice and our pilot community has full faith in him and respect him for the hours of work he puts and the other management members who work along side him to make FTG what it is :D

I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks :o

Edited by arkskylark, 12 December 2004 - 10:38 PM.

#48 nyaviator

nyaviator

Student Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:42 PM

arkskylark, on Dec 12 2004, 11:37 PM, said:

I am sure you have heard of TYPE RATINGS. Its something that we are working on lately (ofcourse its something that will take time to finalise) and will surely use them with efficiency. I for once cann't comment about the entrance exams, as its Eric's choice and our pilot community has full faith in him and respect him for the hours of work he puts and the other management members who work along side him to make FTG what it is :D

I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks :o
I'm glad you're taking this constructively, and a type rating feature would be a good idea in my opinion. Maybe you could register without taking an exam, have an account and everything but not be able to file PIREPS for a particular aircraft unless you have a certificate (which you would get by taking an individual test designed for each aircraft) That would be a great idea, the only thing I'd like to see is that instead of just test-test-test, maybe open a flight school to train the pilots before testing them.

I personally would like that method a lot, and you may even find me as a customer.

Edited by nyaviator, 12 December 2004 - 10:42 PM.

#49 sq232

sq232

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:42 PM

I am actually quite amateur compared to alot of VA pilots here at FTG.

Entrance exam is very basic, if you have aquired some basic knowledge, which most people do in their pursuit of flying.

#50 erict

erict

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:45 PM

Ok I will add a Special Ed. form for flightsimmers who fail the entrance exam.

We will hold a lottery every month and the winners can skip the entrance exam and sign up as new FTG members. :D

#51 nyaviator

nyaviator

Student Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:47 PM

sq232, on Dec 12 2004, 11:42 PM, said:

I am actually quite amateur compared to alot of VA pilots here at FTG.

Entrance exam is very basic, if you have aquired some basic knowledge, which most people do in their pursuit of flying.
The word Amateur is very broad, and I don't think I used it right. But If you passed the exam, you are at a different level from us that know how to move the joy-stick from left to right to fly an airplane (or maybe a little more then that). I still got a 71, but I would like to defend those pilots out there that don't have a chance. Someone said earlier that they learned by simply flying and flying the built-in tutorials, which is great but it doesn't teach you all of the terms and stuff. You need written material for that.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you aquire your knowledge from?

Edited by nyaviator, 12 December 2004 - 10:48 PM.

#52 arkskylark

arkskylark

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:53 PM

Someone said earlier that they learned by simply flying and flying the built-in tutorials, which is great but it doesn't teach you all of the terms and stuff. You need written material for that.
Well, there are many websites which do teach you. Some tutorials on AVSIM. Some very good tutorials on Navigation etc. I am not really sure, but if theres a will in the pilot, theres sure a way to learn more. The questions are really basic for the entrance and few tutorials that are available for free on the net should be able to get you through it with a breeze.

#53 sq232

sq232

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:54 PM

I have freinds at school who also share a pursuit in flying, and so i learnt alot off them, i also read magazines, and took some lessons on FS.

The lessons are very comprehensive.  Even if you sit down for an hour and read it, you wil get alot of knowledge.

#54 adriang

adriang

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 12:26 AM

nyaviator, on Dec 12 2004, 10:12 PM, said:

erict, on Dec 12 2004, 11:03 PM, said:

You obviously have serious issues.
That looks like arrogance again!
Really...you really should think of another sentence to say...it kinda gets boring after 1 time

Edited by adriang, 13 December 2004 - 12:31 AM.

#55 adriang

adriang

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 12:50 AM

Nyaviator lets take apart your post and lets learn something new

Not to say that the questions on your tests are that difficult
Then there is no reason really not to be able to get a 70

they are still things that many amateur flight sim pilots would have no where to learn but through a VA
Once again we do have a training divison at FTG and also numerous members utilize our forums everyday to ask questions about flying...and our real world pilots and wannabe real world pilots are there 24/7 to answer any questions a new pilot might have

Many of the things you ask I have no idea what you're talking about
http://www.google.com

Why? I'm not a real pilot. Would I like to learn them? Yes. Will I learn them through FTG, No
There are lots of members at FTG that aren't pilots and heck aren't even old enough to drive a car...How will you know you can't learn through FTG if you've never tried...I can tell you FTG has helped me greatly towards obtaining my private license from all the members being there to answer my questions

Although I still don't like multiple VAs, but as someone pointed out you don't have to be a part of them all
Yup that absolutely correct we have 21 airlines...but if you don't want to fly the others its absolutely fine...you can stay in your own VA...but just so you know there is that option out there :D

#56 dolbinau

dolbinau

Download Manager

• Download Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 01:30 AM

adriang, on Dec 13 2004, 04:50 PM, said:

Nyaviator lets take apart your post and lets learn something new

Not to say that the questions on your tests are that difficult
Then there is no reason really not to be able to get a 70

they are still things that many amateur flight sim pilots would have no where to learn but through a VA
Once again we do have a training divison at FTG and also numerous members utilize our forums everyday to ask questions about flying...and our real world pilots and wannabe real world pilots are there 24/7 to answer any questions a new pilot might have

Many of the things you ask I have no idea what you're talking about
http://www.google.com

Why? I'm not a real pilot. Would I like to learn them? Yes. Will I learn them through FTG, No
There are lots of members at FTG that aren't pilots and heck aren't even old enough to drive a car...How will you know you can't learn through FTG if you've never tried...I can tell you FTG has helped me greatly towards obtaining my private license from all the members being there to answer my questions

Although I still don't like multiple VAs, but as someone pointed out you don't have to be a part of them all
Yup that absolutely correct we have 21 airlines...but if you don't want to fly the others its absolutely fine...you can stay in your own VA...but just so you know there is that option out there :o
I was 13 when I passed the Enterance Exam into Virtual Air Pacific, Flying tigers is the best :D

--

I don't "do" Va's anymore though :o.

#57 Guest_Mark Hotson_*

Guest_Mark Hotson_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2004 - 05:26 AM

I got attracted to FTG because of Thai airways and got sort of sucked in from there.
I have expanded my knowledge alot and found the site great fun and highly organised.

As Eric said, if you want to fly for just one airline within FTG you can. I do almost all my flights for Thai into or out of VTBD.

The entrance exam can be taken again and again until you pass. It really just encourages people to research the questions on the internet a little. This will enhance their enjoyment and sense of realism.

You don't have to like what we do. I don't personally criticize other VAs, if there not my cup of tea I just don't join. But don't write us off out of prejudice either. Join the forums as a guest and see if you like it. If not, no problem. :D

#58 flyfan

flyfan

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 07:10 AM

Yeah....interesting Othoughts in this Topic.... :D
The Entrance Exam isnīt really that hard, but, of course, it only lets People/Pilots in who are really interested; īcause if you look at other VAs People just sign up to get the Links to the Planes/Sceneries :o
So Iīm proud to be a Part of the Tiger (+we also have VERY realistic Things, such as the Ranking System, etc.)
And to those who donīt know how to fly an Airliner (but know BASIC things about flying we have Training Sections with Manuals and similar Things (for more known Aircraft (737/747 etc) we have special Manuals)
And Iīm sorry for those who where arrogant, theyīre really not the representatives of our VA Community :o

So:

See ya soon in the blue Skies above Austria :o

#59 TG282

TG282

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 08:09 AM

I joined FTG because of Thai VA before I even knew it was part of a group of VA airlines and then just got sucked in.

It has improved my flying knowledge and enjoyment enormously.

As Eric said you if you only want to fly for one airline you can. I personally fly mostly for Thai in and out of VTBD.

I don't criticize other VAs. If they're not my cup of tea, I simply don't join.

The entrance exam contains nothing that can't be found on the internet. It is designed to enhance peoples enjoyment of VA flying by identifying the areas of knowledge pertinent to this side of MSFS.

Don't write us off out of prejudice (particularly that of others). Join the forums as a guest and if you don't like what you see:- no problem. I'm sure there's a VA for everyone, all equally good for their members, but for me that VA is FTG.

See you in Bankok! :D

#60 RacingBoy13

RacingBoy13

Private Pilot - VFR

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 10:29 AM

Like i said if you want something bad enough you would eventually get it, if you study you can pass a test. Just like school you got to pass or fail.

I go in multiplayer sessions everyday and help fellow pilots learn mostly about NAV. You know what they do great.
NYAVIATOR, i'm sure you can go join any other VA out there but 90% of them aren't going to be as good as the FTG.

I join the FTG a couple of years back when we didn't have as much as members, and with our possitive attitude we brought a lot of members to our group.

Like Erict said we're not a flightsim school, we're not we will help as much as we can but we cant teach you everysingle little thing there is to know. You going to have to learn some stuff by your self.
Come on you cant expect a person who just got the flightsim and a couple of days ago to fly a 747 CDG-JFK, most likely they will crash and lie in their PIREP.

Everything takes time, every one out there should take time to study basic stuff, it will come handy everytime you fly.

A real airline wouldnt hire a flightsim pilot would they? And that's realistic, we try to fly as realistic as possible, just like many airlines do.

Thank You Very Much