162 replies to this topic

#1 TheCoCC

TheCoCC

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:25 AM

I'm not saying those who play flight sim are greedy. But there are a bomb load of other games out there, that take just as much editing, and I'm sure there's atleast one that's more difficult to mod, yet all mods made for the game are freeware. Why is it only FS you must pay for planes? The biggest would have to be Active Camera. There was one made for GTA too, it had the exact same principles, and was operated almost identically, but it was free.. Why did the people of anticyclone decide to charge flight simmers? when the people of GTA decided to give something just as advanced, to a LARGER community and could have made more money, they did it for absolutly nothing.

I'm not ranting, I'm just wondering why people charge for their work, if they make it for fun, so people can have fun.

#2 CessnaNJ422

CessnaNJ422

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:34 AM

do you even know the amount of time and effort it takes to design and make a aircraft...from the design stage up to the aerodynamics.  There are tons of freeware planes out there...its just the payware stuff is always the nicest...some planes look and fly like the real thing....i believe that flight sim is more of a hobby than a game.

#3 [V1]-[VR]-[V2]

[V1]-[VR]-[V2]

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:34 AM

u don't have a world wide network for GTA where 563 people play online with full realism and people who also preform the job in real world (u need to see 563 people like that many people in a server not generally online (something like VATSIM or IVAO)) , don't compare fs with a game because its not, its a simulation... there are many MANY more add ons for fs9 :D then for what game ever... its more then just gaming its obsession. we don't see a game and go play it, we have the aviation passion and flightsim represents it so good!

Edited by [V1]-[VR]-[V2], 25 August 2005 - 10:35 AM.

#4 Jet_A_FuelGuy

Jet_A_FuelGuy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:44 AM

But Flight Simulator is as much of a game as Gran Turismo - Driving Simulator.

#5 [V1]-[VR]-[V2]

[V1]-[VR]-[V2]

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:12 AM

Jet_A_FuelGuy, on Aug 25 2005, 04:44 PM, said:

But Flight Simulator is as much of a game as Gran Turismo - Driving Simulator.
well u cant drive all over the world can ya? and u cant start from cold n dark to engine running and such can u ? :D and look at all the stuff in your screen u don't have those in real life, i don't have a transparent gps in me fs :D

#6 Fir3Spell

Fir3Spell

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:51 AM

Flight simulation is more than a game, it's a passion to us.

#7 TheCoCC

TheCoCC

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:54 AM

I understand your passion, and I must say, I share the same passion for aviation and I have payed for payware addons. I do understand the work put into it, but what I'm saying is there are other activists for other games, that make just as detailed things and spend just as much time on something as much as any good FS payware company does, and in the end gives it away for free.

After all, if it's a passion, you're not in it for the money.

Tell me I'm wrong.

#8 Captainmk

Captainmk

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,769 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:08 PM

Payware addons have a lot of time and effort put into it and they are much more realistic than freeware. Although, I agree with you hundred percent on the Active camera, its not a fabulous addon at all :D

#9 TheCoCC

TheCoCC

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:22 PM

But what I'm trying to say is, there are other games with just as much work put into addons for it, yet they don't cost a thing.

I'm not sure about FS, but in the EULA for most games, it clearly states that making addons for the game itself is illegal, let alone selling them.

#10 VHHH90

VHHH90

Aviation Contest Host

• Contest Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:32 PM

CessnaNJ422, on Aug 25 2005, 10:34 AM, said:

do you even know the amount of time and effort it takes to design and make a aircraft...from the design stage up to the aerodynamics.  There are tons of freeware planes out there...its just the payware stuff is always the nicest...some planes look and fly like the real thing....i believe that flight sim is more of a hobby than a game.
Exactly.

If the PMDG 747 was freeware it would have over 10 million downloads :D
Exaduration a bit, but still, how do you think people make there money? :D

#11 Robin.

Robin.

Contributor\Download Manager\formerly Robin.B

• Download Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:41 PM

TheCoCC, on Aug 25 2005, 12:22 PM, said:

But what I'm trying to say is, there are other games with just as much work put into addons for it, yet they don't cost a thing.

I'm not sure about FS, but in the EULA for most games, it clearly states that making addons for the game itself is illegal, let alone selling them.
Some good quality add-ons put more effort into the add-on than the version of FS itself. Over 2 years of work. Tell me which "game mod" takes that long to develop.

#12 kewlceo

kewlceo

Download Manager\Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:44 PM

TheCoCC, on Aug 25 2005, 10:22 AM, said:

May I inquire as to the source of information which leads you to make such a sweeping statement? How on earth would you know how much work was behind a particular payware add-on?

#13 C172pilot

C172pilot

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:51 PM

because unlike the other games, where if there is an upate, they sell it! or an expansion pack.. GTA, Vice City, San Andreas etc... All are different games.

FS is one game. People create other add-ons for the game to be more developed-so to speak-. Unlike with other types of games where the creators tend to build onward, POSKY, PSS, PMDG etc.. are all individual companies.

look at a car.. You can buy your car and keep it as is.. OR, if you want to make it more customized(aka ADD-ONS) you buy parts and lights and mufflers etc...

I don't even know where my FS cd is to be honest.. I better find it! haha

#14 BaronDriver

BaronDriver

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:54 PM

kewlceo, on Aug 25 2005, 11:44 AM, said:

TheCoCC, on Aug 25 2005, 10:22 AM, said:

May I inquire as to the source of information which leads you to make such a sweeping statement? How on earth would you know how much work was behind a particular payware add-on?
+1

There are huge differences between indivduals spending countless hours of their free time to develope an add-on and distribute free of cost, as opposed to a professional company who goes out and meets with the manufacturer, engineers, etc, obtain licenses and developes a product for sale.  These are the people who make their living doing this.

#15 CombatAce

CombatAce

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:04 PM

Consider this...

Some/most FS Payware addons take more than 6 months to make. Examples...

1. FlyTampa, great scenery design, airports take over 6-8 months on average to make, It would be fair to charge, when you spent 6 months and you need income for that time wasted.

2. PMDG... Supposedly there 747 took 18 months to make, although I agree it is overcharged, they need to get money for their debts over the 18 months.

Lets move out of the simulation area to a game.

GTA, modding is easier, they worry about detail primarily, they do not need to go through the process of working every detail of a car completely, nor the dynamics.
A car being modded is not as complicated as modding a plane.

In FS, the reason it takes so much time to create an addon is for the developers work on every detail even the smallest lest noticeable, the interior of the engine the landing gear(s), lights, and so on...
That is just one part, they also need to research the plane itself, fuel consumption, distances, weight, and so on...
Work on the panel and make everything work as the real life counterpart...
The Flight Dynamics to make the plane fly realisticly.
All these take time to work on. I can post more but I suppose you get my point.

Edited by CombatAce, 25 August 2005 - 01:07 PM.

#16 TheCoCC

TheCoCC

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:05 PM

As a man I can accept when I have been beaten, and in this arguement it is clear that the reasoning of expense is due to the sweat and blood put into making our simming more fun by the companies. Despite the fact they may be Aviation enthusiasts and aren't in it for the money, it's only fair their troubles are thanked with a little something.

#17 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:10 PM

You know there are some online games like JumpGate and Earth and Beyond that, after you pay $40 for the game itself, you still need to pay like $10-20 a month just to play it.

#18 BaronDriver

BaronDriver

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:10 PM

Hobbies are for the enthusists.  Im sure there are more than several individuals who work at Precision Manuals who could care less about aviation. For them, it's just a job.

Consider the people who make and sell radio control aircraft. That's a hobby of aviation enthusists, and they have to buy their planes.

Edited by BaronDriver, 25 August 2005 - 01:11 PM.

#19 Carter

Carter

Passenger

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:54 PM

You must be misreading, because the star feature of Flight Simulator is the creation of addons. I don't think that payware would have been being sold since FS 5 if it were illegal. Do you?

#20 [V1]-[VR]-[V2]

[V1]-[VR]-[V2]

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:01 PM

Carter, on Aug 25 2005, 07:54 PM, said:

You must be misreading, because the star feature of Flight Simulator is the creation of addons. I don't think that payware would have been being sold since FS 5 if it were illegal. Do you?
they don't modify (mod) fs9 but add something well since u cant change the game and resell it they add something that isnt illigal though moderating fs9 and bring it out again is illigal...