#41 Chief Wiggum

Chief Wiggum

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:06 PM

WillMcCaskill, on Aug 25 2005, 07:00 PM, said:

But the MSFS physics engine is crap. You can do all the tweaking you want to a plane, but it will never be that  good.
Who cares about the physics engine? If the final product is realistic (and it is in many cases), why should I worry about it?

#42 [V1]-[VR]-[V2]

[V1]-[VR]-[V2]

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:08 PM

Chief Wiggum, on Aug 25 2005, 11:06 PM, said:

But the MSFS physics engine is crap. You can do all the tweaking you want to a plane, but it will never be that  good.
Who cares about the physics engine? If the final product is realistic (and it is in many cases), why should I worry about it?
hmm ye, and if reality isnt possible to recreate... why would u compare simulations with reality ? then they would always be bad...

#43 kewlceo

kewlceo

Download Manager\Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:11 PM

Chief Wiggum, on Aug 25 2005, 03:06 PM, said:

But the MSFS physics engine is crap. You can do all the tweaking you want to a plane, but it will never be that  good.
You shouldn't Chief. There are just some people who feel special promoting esoteric simulators, websites, and even music.

#44 WillMcCaskill

WillMcCaskill

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:13 PM

Chief Wiggum, on Aug 25 2005, 05:06 PM, said:

You're missing the point (or avoiding it). The final product isn't  realistic. The MSFS physics engine is just missing so  much. The best would be if microsoft created a physics engine similar to the blade element theory that X-Plane uses.

#45 kewlceo

kewlceo

• Contributor
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:14 PM

How's the Blade Element Theory working out for X-Plane? What's X-Plane's market share again?

Edited by kewlceo, 25 August 2005 - 05:15 PM.

#46 WillMcCaskill

WillMcCaskill

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:17 PM

kewlceo, on Aug 25 2005, 05:14 PM, said:

How's the Blade Element Theory workign out for X-Plane? What's X-Plane's market share again?
It's not about the popularity of the sim. X-Plane just isn't mass marketed as a game like MSFS is. If the most popular thing is always the best then J-LO is an amazing musician, and the honda civic is the most luxurious car ever made.

And the blade element theory is the best physics engine currently available for a home sim.

Edited by WillMcCaskill, 25 August 2005 - 05:18 PM.

#47 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:22 PM

OCC guy or whatever your name is. If you think you can justify to us your beliefs then why don't you look in your FS9 booklet on the bottom part of page 27 "Adding Aircraft" and "Piloting Virtual Airlines". Than talk about the EULA laws.

#48 kewlceo

kewlceo

• Contributor
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:24 PM

WillMcCaskill, on Aug 25 2005, 03:17 PM, said:

And the blade element theory is the best physics engine currently available for a home sim.
Well if that's true then let's hope Austin doesn't run his Segway under a bus or then what will you do? :D

#49 Chief Wiggum

Chief Wiggum

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:25 PM

WillMcCaskill, on Aug 25 2005, 07:13 PM, said:

The final product isn't  realistic.
I think I'll keep what those experienced real-world 747 pilots say ... :D

It's just ridiculous that some people use MSFS for hours each and every day and then come here to poke jokes at it.  :D

BTW Will, if FS physics suck that much, why did you buy a $55 plane for it when you can get a much more realistic one on X-Plane?!

#50 WillMcCaskill

WillMcCaskill

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:31 PM

kewlceo, on Aug 25 2005, 05:24 PM, said:

WillMcCaskill, on Aug 25 2005, 03:17 PM, said:

Well if that's true then let's hope Austin doesn't run his Segway under a bus or then what will you do? :D
You are making a fool of yourself. Everyone knows it's the most realistic. You're a smart person, you should know that.

BTW Will, if FS physics suck that much, why did you buy a $55 plane for it when you can get a much more realistic one on X-Plane?!

Because the PMDG 744 has the best systems for a home sim, and for a plane that big and modern im just going to slap the autopilot on anyway. I don't notice the physics as much as i would than if i were flying a cessna 152.

#51 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:34 PM

Will is right. Just because you spent $55 does not mean you would sit through a real time 12 hour flight would you?

And plus there is some freeware companies than make great planes such as ifdg and posky.

#52 Chief Wiggum

Chief Wiggum

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:36 PM

WillMcCaskill, on Aug 25 2005, 07:31 PM, said:

... im just going to slap the autopilot on anyway ...
Nice way to throw away 55 bucks. I wonder why you need any physics this way ... :D

#53 StephenD

StephenD

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:38 PM

Chief Wiggum, on Aug 25 2005, 11:36 PM, said:

Nice way to throw away 55 bucks. I wonder why you need any physics this way ... :D
There's only so much you can do with a B747 on a 12 hour flight in fs. :D

Edited by StephenD, 25 August 2005 - 05:39 PM.

#54 kewlceo

kewlceo

• Contributor
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:41 PM

[quote name='WillMcCaskill' date='Aug 25 2005, 03:31 PM'] Well if that's true then let's hope Austin doesn't run his Segway under a bus or then what will you do? :D [/QUOTE]
You are making a fool of yourself. Everyone knows it's the most realistic. You're a smart person, you should know that. [/quote]
I'm not the fan boy here, I'd switch in an instant if a better total package appeared on the market, but X-Plane is an incomplete product IMHO, because you can't do the systems simulation that you can do in FS9 with add-ons today, and thus it doesn't have the ability to give you the "as real as it gets" airliner experience.

I've said before that if you want to fly GA, and your aim is to pilot such, that the X-Plane flight dynamics excel.

In my previous post (and in fact any post I've made) you won't see anything that says the Blade Element Theory is not superior. I merely asked what the X-Plane community would do if Austin bit it?

#55 Chief Wiggum

Chief Wiggum

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:41 PM

StephenD, on Aug 25 2005, 07:38 PM, said:

A 12 hour flight is everything you can do with a 747 in a simulator? :D

#56 WillMcCaskill

WillMcCaskill

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:42 PM

Chief Wiggum, on Aug 25 2005, 05:36 PM, said:

You don't. That why i bought it. I wanted some extremely realistic systems, i wasn't looking for physics.

#57 StephenD

StephenD

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:43 PM

Chief Wiggum, on Aug 25 2005, 11:41 PM, said:

StephenD, on Aug 25 2005, 07:38 PM, said:

A 12 hour flight is everything you can do with a 747 in a simulator? :D
No - In a real life simulator or flight there's plenty to do; in FS there's barely nothing. Program the FMC, takeoff, switch on the autopilot, get up to cruise; and that's where it ends until you get to descent.

Unless you handfly your B747 flights; you'll get barely nothing from the physics.

Edited by StephenD, 25 August 2005 - 05:43 PM.

#58 Chief Wiggum

Chief Wiggum

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:47 PM

No - In a real life simulator or flight there's plenty to do; in FS there's barely nothing. Program the FMC, takeoff, switch on the autopilot, get up to cruise; and that's where it ends until you get to descent.
That's not what I mean.

Unless you handfly your B747 flights; you'll get barely nothing from the physics.
That's what I mean. I'm not saying you should hand-fly your entire 12 hour flight, but at least the entire climb and descent. You can also take it for sightseeing, fly shorter routes, practice manual landings, non-precision approaches ...

#59 kewlceo

kewlceo

• Contributor
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:11 PM

Airlines818, on Aug 25 2005, 04:04 PM, said:

not you occ
Yep, better left ignored as Stephen said. Too much bickering and the thread will just get locked.

BTW "we" don't ban members, and neither do mods. The worse that could happen is a mod or admin would give a warning, and since he's a n00b it would be his first.

Posted Image capiche?

Edited by kewlceo, 25 August 2005 - 06:16 PM.

#60 Jon

Jon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:34 PM

TheCoCC and Airlines818 (and to whom it may concern),

Flaming is not permitted here, and has gotten people banned before. :D  This discussion does not need to get heated.  This is an interesting topic that I don't want to have to remove, so please keep the insults out of this and other topics.

Thanks,
Jon