74 replies to this topic

#21 BrianF

BrianF

formerly BrianFeinzimer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 07:08 AM

i don't know, what i just usually is turn on the NAV function and punch in the ils rdio code.   i might be a litttle scratchy on what to do exactly because i havent played my fs2004 in a while :o

#22 Guest_trazcer_*

Guest_trazcer_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2004 - 04:35 AM

I'm really glad that people are using my tutorial and stuff, but please don't send me anymore emails asking me about stuff that is clearly gone over in the tutorial. I bet I get about 5 emails a day asking the same questions over and over.

Ok, here's the short answer for everyone.

THIS TUTORIAL IS JUST A GUIDE TO HELP YOU GET THE GRASP OF IT, IT'S NOT GOING TO WORK PERFECTLY EVERYTIME AND IN EVERY SITUATION.

There are dozens of variables that you have to account for both in the plane and on the ground. So you are just going to have to play with the timing of it and your throttle, flap, and altitudes.

Another thing, When you leave the airport, don't engage the GPS right away, fly the runway heading for a while, maybe 2 or 3 minutes, maybe longer before engaging it. If you have picked a runway that has an awkward approach angle, then you will fly straight to the end of the runway instead of making the proper approach angle.

As I said, it's not exact and you will have to tinker with it to make it work for you. If you haven't been one of the people to email me with a retorical question I thank you for referring back to the tutorial. I appreciate it.

If you have any questions, please ask them on here instead of emailing me anymore, there is a broader user base here and you're question is likely to get answered more quickly than it would by just emailing me. Thanks

groudon39

#23 Guest_C_*

Guest_C_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2004 - 04:08 PM

what do you mean by ''RED flight line'' and where is the line tat changes colour? :o

#24 FlightSim56

FlightSim56

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 06:12 PM

Good Lesson  :o

#25 Guest_trazcer_*

Guest_trazcer_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2004 - 07:08 PM

C, on Apr 12 2004, 04:08 PM, said:

what do you mean by ''RED flight line'' and where is the line tat changes colour? :o
The red/magenta/pink line that is in your GPS when you're flying a direct to GPS route. It's the flight line that you follow when doing such a flight. If you haven't do the tutorials included in the sim because it will make more sense to you.

#26 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2004 - 03:06 PM

Yes but when you say to enter on the activate approach bit, my pink line dissapears,so i do not know when to switch to NAV :o

#27 acsguitar

acsguitar

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:13 AM

Ok i see whats up now...Yea I don't see the line change color but i get to the outer marker...I think you have to work on the Set up....Flying the whole flight by computer seems stupid...you can always fly it to the marker then turn it off right as you get to the marker and fly away a bit before looping back towards the marker for the approach...Then turn on your ILS when you are on the approach landing line...I think that will work for approahces from airports closer then say 100nm...My thing is getting the ###### ILS to work...Im not sure which autopilot settings i leave on...Do i leave my ALT and IAS buttons on along with my APP button...If i do what won't the plane stay at the altitude and never decend and keep the same speed...Those are my newest questions

#28 Guest_trazcer_*

Guest_trazcer_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2004 - 07:39 PM

Guest, on Apr 13 2004, 04:06 PM, said:

Yes but when you say to enter on the activate approach bit, my pink line dissapears,so i do not know when to switch to NAV :o
Ok, evidently you don't follow the rest of the flight so I guess I'll have to explain.

When you activate the approach your first waypoint in your flight plan changes and the "red" line starts from that waypoint and goes to the desired runway. If you are far away say 100nm out from that waypoint when you activate the approach, then you will not be able to see the red line because you are not near enough to it to see it. The GPS will fly you to the beginning waypoint of the approach and from that waypoint on, you will see the "red" line.

You switch your Nav/GPS switch right before you cross the line where it changes from "red" to white. Once you are in Nav mode, then you click on APP in your autopilot and it will intercept the glide slope if you are at the proper altitude and basicall land itself, with a little help from you on the gear/flaps/ and speed settings.

I hope that this covers what you are having trouble with.

groudon39

#29 Guest_trazcer_*

Guest_trazcer_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2004 - 07:48 PM

acsguitar, on Apr 22 2004, 12:13 PM, said:

Ok i see whats up now...Yea I don't see the line change color but i get to the outer marker...I think you have to work on the Set up....Flying the whole flight by computer seems stupid...you can always fly it to the marker then turn it off right as you get to the marker and fly away a bit before looping back towards the marker for the approach...Then turn on your ILS when you are on the approach landing line...I think that will work for approahces from airports closer then say 100nm...My thing is getting the ###### ILS to work...Im not sure which autopilot settings i leave on...Do i leave my ALT and IAS buttons on along with my APP button...If i do what won't the plane stay at the altitude and never decend and keep the same speed...Those are my newest questions
  :o Well, you can land however you want, but to do a GPS Autoland, the steps that I provide will get you down safe and sound if they are followed correctly. I'm not one to tell people how to fly or anything like that so I sometimes regret doing this tutorial even though most people appreciate it.

The flight line will change color from red, magenta, pink whatever color you want to call it to white once it reaches the waypoint that coincides with the outer marker of the ILS glideslope. That is it will if all the procedures are executed properly within the proper time.

To do an ILS landing, you simply have to have the NAV1 radio tuned into the ILS frequency and have your NAV/GPS switch in NAV mode. Then with the autopilot on, you should set your airspeed to your VREF speed for whatever plane it is you're flying press the IAS button and press the APP button. The IAS button will hold your VREF speed and the APP button will follow the descent path within the ILS cone granted that you intercept it and are at the proper altitude to do so.

As I've said many times, this tutorial is just a guide to get you in the right direction. Nothing is set in stone because there are so many variables regarding landings that I simply can't cover all of them. I hope that this helps you and if you have any other questions, please post them in the General Discussion section of the forum. You are far more likely to get your answer faster that way than replying to this thread unless you want to wait for me to be able to answer myself.

groudon39

#30 Guest_C_*

Guest_C_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:39 AM

Thanks

I still cannot do it. I fly and then click activate approach and the line dissapears. How far out do you have to be then? Is this indicated on the op right hand corner of the GPS 500? Do you have any screenshots that show what the GPS is supposed to look like?

Many thanks,

C

#31 Richard C.

Richard C.

formerly metrostars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 03:44 PM

Personally I like to fly the plane myslef. It is easy enough to just line yourself up with the runway. I have only been flying about 3 month and even I can get lined up perfectly with the runway.

:::... Happy Flying ...:::

#32 Ten Zero

Ten Zero

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 06:15 AM

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but for a proper autopilot ILS landing you need to make sure your course heading is set to the runway heading.  Otherwise you'll land at an angle to the runway.

#33 leetdog

leetdog

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:40 PM

Raligard, on Dec 8 2003, 11:34 AM, said:

I've tried that in a 737 and it kept 'weaving' back and forth across the ILS approach line and never really lined me up with the runway as it swung from left to right and back again. It is very informative though and maybe I didn't do something correctly. I'll try again later.
thats what exactly happend to me too :P
ill give it a second try :o

#34 Guest_DJ Prem_*

Guest_DJ Prem_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2004 - 04:07 AM

I had the same probleM and I cannot get it to land :o

#35 Guest_Guest_Oates_*

Guest_Guest_Oates_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2004 - 12:00 PM

You could also get the 737 panel from avsim which automatically lands the plane by itself as long as your speeds and frequencys are set. Its too easy that way though its sort of cheating. :o

#36 Tear1977

Tear1977

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 11:06 AM

Hello and nice to join the forum.

Great tutorial but just 1 Qs

Do u have to knock off A/P at the outer marker when u press APP.

Cheers

Tear1977

#37 Guest_trazcer_*

Guest_trazcer_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2004 - 09:55 AM

Tear1977, on Jun 11 2004, 12:06 PM, said:

Hello and nice to join the forum.

Great tutorial but just 1 Qs

Do u have to knock off A/P at the outer marker when u press APP.

Cheers

Tear1977
Well, you have to have the autopilot on for the approach mode to work. The approach mode is a mode of the autopilot so if you don't have the autopilot on then the approach mode isn't going to work :o

Turn your autopilot and everything else off about 50ft. off the ground and throttle back and you're set.

You have to practice this over and over to get it so you're more than likely not gonna get it on the first try. Just keep doing it till you get it.

trazcer

#38 AF222

AF222

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 11:28 PM

Ok, I'm about to start landing with the autoland. I'm about 500 miles now from GIG. How far away should I be from GIG to start step 2? Also, Should I keep the plane on the route or should I try to line it up with the runway before starting this, or will it do that itself? Thanks!

#39 Guest_trazcer_*

Guest_trazcer_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2004 - 12:20 AM

AF222, on Jul 4 2004, 12:28 AM, said:

Ok, I'm about to start landing with the autoland. I'm about 500 miles now from GIG. How far away should I be from GIG to start step 2? Also, Should I keep the plane on the route or should I try to line it up with the runway before starting this, or will it do that itself? Thanks!
AF222

You will want to start the approach roughly 70nm out. I start mine at 100nm out but that is just so that if I have traffic or anything I won't have to climb back up to circle around. I get closer to the airport and then descend instead of descending at a further distance like what some people do. I try to stay above 10000 ft. as long as possible, so that I can get my passengers there early.

Bottom line is that you'll just have to play with the distance to see what works for you. Try it at 50, or 60 or whatever you want and see if you like it.

Also, depending on the angle you are approaching the runway you may have to fly manually to line yourself up. Some of the waypoints the GPS uses aren't really good for larger plane approaches, that's why they file their own instead of letting the gps do it for them :o

trazcer

#40 ohadn747

ohadn747

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 03:46 PM

Wow that was long... but thanks i learned somthing new!!
My first message!!

Edited by ohadn747, 27 July 2004 - 03:47 PM.