#21 Granulf

Granulf

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:53 AM

2x1gb OCZ pc3200 2-3-2-5

Edited by Granulf, 14 October 2006 - 05:53 AM.

#22 Mango

Mango

Contributor\First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,952 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:01 AM

Try a 1280 resolution. I have the feeling my overclocked X1900XT is holding back. Running at 1280x1024x32...

Are you sure, you cfg edits are correct ? You should see an improvemt.

#23 Granulf

Granulf

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:07 AM

Mango, on Oct 14 2006, 01:01 PM, said:

Try a 1280 resolution. I have the feeling my overclocked X1900XT is holding back. Running at 1280x1024x32...

Are you sure, you cfg edits are correct ? You should see an improvemt.
The autogen tweak improved fps, but I still get blurry textures further away. If I look at a straight angle down everything looks nice, but once I look forward, to the side or whatever it's all blurred up :lol: . It's just the same as with fs2004 really...

#24 Mango

Mango

• 11,952 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:30 AM

Make sure AA is off in FSX. Try Anisotropic filtering. Check your GPU driver as well, if AF is enabled.

#25 Granulf

Granulf

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:04 AM

Mango, on Oct 14 2006, 01:30 PM, said:

Make sure AA is off in FSX. Try Anisotropic filtering. Check your GPU driver as well, if AF is enabled.
Done it all... I'll do a reformat of windows today and see how that works out

#26 thesurfer

thesurfer

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:05 PM

I was curious about the separated effects of the different tweaks above.

So i tested it on frames per tweak. Off course 1 at a time and at the same location, plane etc.

Here are the results:

Standard FSX: 0-29 fps :lol:

Just Bandwidth: 0-28  fps
"     Fiber 0.33     : 11-30 fps
"     Fiber 0.50     : 11-26 fps

"     textures diminished
      trees from low (900, probably the sparse value) to 750
      buildings low (600, probably the sparse value) to 500   : 11-29.

All at the same time gave: 11-24 fps
All but the bandwidth gave: 10-31 fps.

Conclusion: Only the bandwidth isnt very cooperative in lifting fps. AND the combination isnt an extra advantage.
I am to lazy to test the tweak that changes the textures of the trees, maybe later on.

I took out the bandwidth, because i have a slight idea that it gives me more blurr.

The effects might be very different on various systems i guess or they may not. Anyone else with a high end pc would like to add his results?? I know i takes some time but... :lol:

Edited by thesurfer, 14 October 2006 - 02:06 PM.

#27 Katahu

Katahu

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:12 PM

Guys, if you want to get rid of those blurry textures that are in the distance, you can cover them up using haze from the weather menu. :lol:

#28 thesurfer

thesurfer

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:13 PM

you mean overcast? :lol: . That should do the trick...

#29 Katahu

Katahu

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:18 PM

thesurfer, on Oct 14 2006, 02:13 PM, said:

you mean overcast? :lol: . That should do the trick...
No, I said HAZE not overcast.

Haze is where the distant terrain is covered in what looks like an endless sea of mist. I see this all the time in real life on a SUPPOSEDLY clear day during takeoff and landing when I was flying back an forth onboard a commercial jet.

#30 mollindz

mollindz

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 03:17 PM

thesurfer, on Oct 14 2006, 02:05 PM, said:

...Conclusion: Only the bandwidth isnt very cooperative in lifting fps. AND the combination isnt an extra advantage.
I am to lazy to test the tweak that changes the textures of the trees, maybe later on.
On my system (using demo 2), the biggest boost came from reduced tree, cloud, runway/taxiway, and water texture sizes.  All of the reduced textures look great (including water), and I think the trees even look better at a reduced size.  Be careful with the runway/taxiway textures though, because the package I downloaded actually had a few files that were significantly larger in size.  I think he may have fixed this by now.

Also got a nice boost from the cfg entry that lowers the maximum tree and building autogen.  All of this together gave me a 20-25% fps increase and much smoother performance when flying in the denser areas of St Maarten.  I'm anxious to try these on the final release, but haven't found any stores in Nashville that are selling it yet.

Anyway, I sure appreciate the work being done by Mike, Matt and others to give us some options.

Rob

#31 jojojojo

jojojojo

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:44 PM

I agree I just bought the duluxe version today, and also a new processor two days ago...get the worst performance ever even with thse tweaks.

#32 herschie

herschie

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:24 AM

I looked in documents and settings, but i could not find that file anywhere. perhaps someone could help me out more on this matter?

#33 herschie

herschie

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:29 AM

ah nevermind, new computer...if anyone else has this problem, don't forget to make it show hidden files.

#34 DMcGrew

DMcGrew

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:46 AM

I still get terrible stutters with any and all of these tweaks. Its especially bad on the ground. Taking off or landing is like a slideshow.  :lol:  I havn't tried defragmenting my hard drive yet. I've heard many people recommend that.. not sure how much that would help though. Its a brand new hard drive.

#35 Mango

Mango

• 11,952 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:55 AM

With your system and the tweaks it should run well. I really think you have a hardware issue. But i'm afraid, i can not help in this case.

You should defragment right away after installation.

#36 DMcGrew

DMcGrew

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:17 PM

Mango, on Oct 15 2006, 08:55 AM, said:

With your system and the tweaks it should run well. I really think you have a hardware issue. But i'm afraid, i can not help in this case.

You should defragment right away after installation.
Its not just my system. Its FSX+My System. Its not agreeing with something. It has absolutely no problems running everything else. My 2.1 isn't even close to being as fast as you are at 3.6 Ghz. Its either my system and FSX not agreeing on something or I'm just weak on GHz.

#37 rabbitweasel

rabbitweasel

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:02 PM

I think you should add a link or mention SystemboosterXP:

http://www.systembooster.com/

It has helped me improve on my blurries. It has a 30 day trial though I'm considering buying the program when my trial expires for $20.

#38 jojojojo

jojojojo

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 03:14 PM

Can somebody help me find my FSX.cfg folder? I went to Documents and Settings/username/ but then there is no file named "application data" I looked in my FSX folder in the Microsoft gaes folder and it wasn't there either.

#39 trekalized

trekalized

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 03:20 PM

Make sure you are showing hidden files and folders. When you're browsing folders, go to Tools-->Folder Options-->View TAB and click show hidden folders.

#40 jojojojo

jojojojo

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 03:24 PM

found it thanks.