- - - - -

British Airways 777-200 Lands short of runway at LHR!

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#61 ThrottleUp

ThrottleUp

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:50 PM

Oh thanks for that info guys I did not know BA had RRs on its 777s. I thought they had only the big 90s :lol:

#62 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:52 PM

View Postsamdaflyer, on Jan 17 2008, 05:39 PM, said:

One thing for sure, I don't think the spotter will be sending their pictures to A.net just yet, more like that Australian dude with the pink hair!

View PostIranair747, on Jan 17 2008, 05:42 PM, said:

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Jan 17 2008, 04:46 PM, said:

View PostJG1324, on Jan 17 2008, 03:09 PM, said:

It sounds By Listening to a Eye Witness. It Sounds like a Go-Around Attempt Failed and then the 777 Stalled.

View PostSalem, on Jan 17 2008, 04:12 PM, said:

View PostThrottleUp, on Jan 17 2008, 10:33 AM, said:

Breaking news on BBC:
Apparently the Captain told a tow-truck driver:

"I lost all power and avionics and had to glide it in"

Anyone here happened to listen to the ATC on his scanner at the time of the accident? a distress call should have been published.

View PostWF08, on Jan 17 2008, 11:00 AM, said:

is egll closed?
I was watching Aljazeera Live, they had the footage of the 777 blocked by the A320 (as mentioned above) and I could see planes taking off (on another runway of course), seen Emirates and Swiss taking off/taxiing respectively.
The southern runway is closed though.

I listened to the ATC on my scanner it was an Emergency for the whole Approach and more than that.

We can confirm that flight BA038, a Boeing 777 arriving from Beijing, carried out an emergency landing at Heathrow Airport today at 12.42.  Heathrow's emergency services attended the scene. 136 passengers were immediately evacuated and taken to a reception centre at the airport where they have  been cared for by airport staff. Friends and family of those involved in the incident are also being cared for at the airport.

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch is attending the scene.

Heathrow Airport's southern runway was closed immediately after the incident for a period of less than 2hrs and the airport operated single runway operation during that time. The southern runway re-opened for departing aircraft at 14:30 with arriving aircraft landing on the northern runway.

BAA is doing everything possible to minimise disruption to our passengers.

Passengers flying from Heathrow today should contact their airline regarding the status of their flight. Air traffic control is diverting some arriving flights to other airports on a flight by flight basis.

British Airways has issued a helpline for anybody concerned about family and friends: 0800 389 4193.

No delays, Airport Runways both open.

It wasn't going around, both engines and avionics failed over hounslow and they were forced to do such a landing due to a decrease in airspeed. It will be very close to a stall, but because of the slow speed people might have thought it 'dropped like a stone'.

Tell us everything you remember about the ATC! I wish I took my airband radio with me to school today :censored:
Nothing ever interesting happens at heathrow

Well some people must live really close.

I am planning to go Saturday for spotting anyway.

http://www.airliners...file?id=1318129

http://www.airliners...file?id=1318128

http://www.airliners...file?id=1318132

The plane Basically called for an emergency on the approach which was a Mayday when i was listening to final director but when they said emergency and they were sorting the traffic out to direct 27R then it was  S_TWR i tuned into but i was at school so i mean could not hear much with the teachers telling me to turn it off and :lol: like that and there was nothing for a few seconds or so and there was lots of confusion and I could not hear much but it sounded really bad guys but i cant really say the exact words due to the UK Laws 1949* because this is a Major Incident* and i could cause :lol:.

Robbie

Edited by Heathrow Airport, 17 January 2008 - 12:59 PM.

#63 suddste

suddste

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,233 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Jan 17 2008, 01:52 PM, said:

View Postsamdaflyer, on Jan 17 2008, 05:39 PM, said:

One thing for sure, I don't think the spotter will be sending their pictures to A.net just yet, more like that Australian dude with the pink hair!

View PostIranair747, on Jan 17 2008, 05:42 PM, said:

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Jan 17 2008, 04:46 PM, said:

View PostJG1324, on Jan 17 2008, 03:09 PM, said:

It sounds By Listening to a Eye Witness. It Sounds like a Go-Around Attempt Failed and then the 777 Stalled.

View PostSalem, on Jan 17 2008, 04:12 PM, said:

View PostThrottleUp, on Jan 17 2008, 10:33 AM, said:

Breaking news on BBC:
Apparently the Captain told a tow-truck driver:

"I lost all power and avionics and had to glide it in"

Anyone here happened to listen to the ATC on his scanner at the time of the accident? a distress call should have been published.

View PostWF08, on Jan 17 2008, 11:00 AM, said:

is egll closed?
I was watching Aljazeera Live, they had the footage of the 777 blocked by the A320 (as mentioned above) and I could see planes taking off (on another runway of course), seen Emirates and Swiss taking off/taxiing respectively.
The southern runway is closed though.

I listened to the ATC on my scanner it was an Emergency for the whole Approach and more than that.

We can confirm that flight BA038, a Boeing 777 arriving from Beijing, carried out an emergency landing at Heathrow Airport today at 12.42.  Heathrow's emergency services attended the scene. 136 passengers were immediately evacuated and taken to a reception centre at the airport where they have  been cared for by airport staff. Friends and family of those involved in the incident are also being cared for at the airport.

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch is attending the scene.

Heathrow Airport's southern runway was closed immediately after the incident for a period of less than 2hrs and the airport operated single runway operation during that time. The southern runway re-opened for departing aircraft at 14:30 with arriving aircraft landing on the northern runway.

BAA is doing everything possible to minimise disruption to our passengers.

Passengers flying from Heathrow today should contact their airline regarding the status of their flight. Air traffic control is diverting some arriving flights to other airports on a flight by flight basis.

British Airways has issued a helpline for anybody concerned about family and friends: 0800 389 4193.

No delays, Airport Runways both open.

It wasn't going around, both engines and avionics failed over hounslow and they were forced to do such a landing due to a decrease in airspeed. It will be very close to a stall, but because of the slow speed people might have thought it 'dropped like a stone'.

Tell us everything you remember about the ATC! I wish I took my airband radio with me to school today :censored:
Nothing ever interesting happens at heathrow

Well some people must live really close.

I am planning to go Saturday for spotting anyway.

http://www.airliners...file?id=1318129

http://www.airliners...file?id=1318128

http://www.airliners...file?id=1318132

The plane Basically called for an emergency on the approach which was a Mayday when i was listening to final director but when they said emergency and they were sorting the traffic out to direct 27R then it was  S_TWR i tuned into but i was at school so i mean could not hear much with the teachers telling me to turn it off and :lol: like that and there was nothing for a few seconds or so and there was lots of confusion and I could not hear much but it sounded really bad guys but i cant really say the exact words due to the UK Laws 1949* because this is a Major Incident* and i could cause :lol:.

Robbie

you should have just told the teachers it was important. The crash was at 20 to 1, so it was probably your lunch break!

#64 spitfir3

spitfir3

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:01 PM

Robbie

:lol: :hilarious: :censored:

#65 Origim

Origim

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:01 PM

If both engines failed, then how was there a "loud" sound coming from them as if they were at full thrust?  Don't pilots disable the engines during failure?

#66 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:08 PM

View Postspitfir3, on Jan 17 2008, 06:01 PM, said:

Robbie

:lol: :hilarious: :censored:

View PostOrigim, on Jan 17 2008, 06:01 PM, said:

If both engines failed, then how was there a "loud" sound coming from them as if they were at full thrust?  Don't pilots disable the engines during failure?

Spitfir3 What?
This happened over Housnlow and the avionics went and the plane had no control then there is reports of the engines failed on Approach but i am not sure.

#67 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:08 PM

Personally, Due to how long the skid marks are :lol: I doubt it stalled. Surely, if it hasn't got enough speed to keep it airborne, then it's gonna drop like a brick, and break up on impact.

#68 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:11 PM

View PostRupert Hughes, on Jan 17 2008, 06:08 PM, said:

Personally, Due to how long the skid marks are :censored: I doubt it stalled. Surely, if it hasn't got enough speed to keep it airborne, then it's gonna drop like a brick, and break up on impact.

Have you seen: Posted Image

That's less than 800ft and considering the 777 was if on a Normal Situation at a speed of 150knts so looking at this and the reports of the nose 49* up then Stall is Indefinably yes.

At least i know why they use Seatbelts on planes 150-180MPH stopped in less than that then hmmm., :lol: :lol:

Edited by Heathrow Airport, 17 January 2008 - 01:14 PM.

#69 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:15 PM

good job that he kept the nose up so it doesnt go into the road

I got to say, seeing the media pictures how much I admire the look of the T7

Edited by Iranair747, 17 January 2008 - 01:15 PM.

#70 Visionary

Visionary

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:15 PM

China is known for it's contaminated childrens toys, what about it's fuel ...

#71 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:16 PM

But surely, A stall would result in the aircraft dropping like a rock. And breaking apart. I find it hard to think that an aircraft of that size, can stall, and skid along the grass and have no major damage. If it were the case, the Aircraft would surely have been at just below VS1

#72 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:18 PM

View Postsamdaflyer, on Jan 17 2008, 06:15 PM, said:

:lol: :lol: :censored:

#73 DJ Iceman

DJ Iceman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

View Postsamdaflyer, on Jan 17 2008, 01:15 PM, said:

Uh, completely unnecessary?

And as for the news, I would at least wait until they get the ATC recordings out and reviewed.  At least you can walk away from an accident like this with your heart still beating and your lungs still breathing.  But wow, 800 feet? O_o

Is it going to be on any American news stations tonight?  I might have to look into it around 5PM :lol:

#74 Flightsimulatorpilot

Flightsimulatorpilot

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Jan 17 2008, 01:11 PM, said:

Personally, Due to how long the skid marks are :censored: I doubt it stalled. Surely, if it hasn't got enough speed to keep it airborne, then it's gonna drop like a brick, and break up on impact.

That's less than 800ft and considering the 777 was if on a Normal Situation at a speed of 150knts so looking at this and the reports of the nose 49* up then Stall is Indefinably yes.

At least i know why they use Seatbelts on planes 150-180MPH stopped in less than that then hmmm., :lol: :lol:
But it's going to stop sooner since it is on grass, even if it was going fast. The engines, along with gear, would dig into the grass, and it'll stop pretty quickly. I agree with Rupert, it doesn't look like a stall.

Edited by Flightsimulatorpilot, 17 January 2008 - 01:19 PM.

#75 Max.

Max.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:19 PM

I would imagine its possible for the aircraft to skid atleast some way if it stalls at a low altitude.

#76 DJ Iceman

DJ Iceman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:19 PM

As for the sound thing, if it was just the avionics dying, he might have tried to use thrust to bring her in, just like that one DC10(or MD11?) flight I've seen on "Air Emergency"..Just an educated guess :lol:

#77 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:23 PM

:lol: so to be able to walk on a runway at heathrow you would have to crash land your plane, evac and then walk onto the runway...

I'll warn any of you if your on my flight if i'm planning that :lol:

:censored:

#78 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:29 PM

View PostFlightsimulatorpilot, on Jan 17 2008, 06:18 PM, said:

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Jan 17 2008, 01:11 PM, said:

But it's going to stop sooner since it is on grass, even if it was going fast. The engines, along with gear, would dig into the grass, and it'll stop pretty quickly. I agree with Rupert, it doesn't look like a stall.

View Post(SH)Iceman, on Jan 17 2008, 06:19 PM, said:

As for the sound thing, if it was just the avionics dying, he might have tried to use thrust to bring her in, just like that one DC10(or MD11?) flight I've seen on "Air Emergency"..Just an educated guess :lol:

Posted Image
Just a little Hint guys, Wings Punctured rite through, no fire were the fuel that would cause a fire?

Debate?

The pilot himself said the a/c was at a stall on Short Finals.

Edited by Heathrow Airport, 17 January 2008 - 01:33 PM.

#79 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:32 PM

Probably is a stall, but like I previously mentioned. It cant' be that low below VS1.

#80 mark_90

mark_90

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:34 PM

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Jan 17 2008, 12:14 PM, said:

Heathrows Runway is 10553feet long you could land a small plane half way down

Make that 12,008ft :lol:

27L opened to arrivals as well now apparently.