248 replies to this topic

#81 Independence76

Independence76

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:23 PM

I'm watching Fox right now. They just got the fuselage to the river banks, and it seems they may put it our of the water or tug it.

#82 Folgers

Folgers

formerly Douglas Buis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:52 PM

View Postfranthree, on Jan 15 2009, 06:45 PM, said:

Seems the reason the Airbus did not sink was the crew hit the "DITCH" button which seals the planes outboard valves and keeps it pressurized----and the crew did not open the rear door which would cause the plane to sink tail-first---Nice job---crew :hrmm:
I'm fairly sure that opening the doors would completely remove any ability for it to be pressurized.

Can you imagine having only 90 seconds to prepare from bird impact to final resting?

That is some quick-draw-mcgraw kinda shooting.

#83 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:55 PM

View Postfranthree, on Jan 15 2009, 05:45 PM, said:

Seems the reason the Airbus did not sink was the crew hit the "DITCH" button which seals the planes outboard valves and keeps it pressurized----and the crew did not open the rear door which would cause the plane to sink tail-first---Nice job---crew :hrmm:

Go look at the cockpit pictures and show me this "ditch" button  :hrmm:

#84 David_Lee_Roth

David_Lee_Roth

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:57 PM

View PostNWilkinson, on Jan 15 2009, 08:55 PM, said:

Right next to the eject button!  :lol:

#85 Folgers

Folgers

formerly Douglas Buis

• Members
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:58 PM

View PostIndependance76, on Jan 15 2009, 07:57 PM, said:

View PostNWilkinson, on Jan 15 2009, 08:55 PM, said:

Right next to the eject button!  :lol:
Let's not forget American Airline's Pilot's favorite button.  The "several beers before takeoff" button.  :lol:

#86 FL050

FL050

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:58 PM

View PostArchie Bunker, on Jan 15 2009, 08:52 PM, said:

I'm fairly sure that opening the doors would completely remove any ability for it to be pressurized.

Can you imagine having only 90 seconds to prepare from bird impact to final resting?

It didn't sink because aircraft are designed to stay afloat - depending on how much fuel they have (Fuel is very buoyant when you carry the amount they do).  With passenger jets, the CG is centered slightly aft, as you can see why the tail is sitting more in the water than the nose.  The tug boats eventually tied themselves to the aircraft so it wouldn't sink though.

What from ATC said, they had 6 minutes between the pilot alerting ATC and hitting the river.

...and did someone seriously say that aircraft are pressurized to 6000 feet on the ground?  Considering every aircraft known to man is designed the exact opposite of that?

#87 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

View PostNWilkinson, on Jan 15 2009, 07:55 PM, said:

Go look at the cockpit pictures and show me this "ditch" button  :lol:

That is what I heard on the NBC news Mate----seems like a good idea---anyway :hrmm:

I think I heard the flight attendents actvate it--maybe not in cockpit :lol:

Edited by franthree, 15 January 2009 - 08:03 PM.

#88 TND4NOS

TND4NOS

Official Contest Host\Edited Contest Host

• Contest Host
  • 10,918 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

Posted Image

Whats with the pilots still in the cockpit? What are they waiting for? Hopes and dreams! :hrmm: :hrmm:

#89 David_Lee_Roth

David_Lee_Roth

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

View PostFL050, on Jan 15 2009, 08:58 PM, said:

It didn't sink because aircraft are designed to stay afloat - depending on how much fuel they have (Fuel is very buoyant when you carry the amount they do).  With passenger jets, the CG is centered slightly aft, as you can see why the tail is sitting more in the water than the nose.  The tug boats eventually tied themselves to the aircraft so it wouldn't sink though.

What from ATC said, they had 6 minutes between the pilot alerting ATC and hitting the river.

...and did someone seriously say that aircraft are pressurized to 6000 feet on the ground?  Considering every aircraft known to man is designed the exact opposite of that?

Well, the Tupolev Tu-154 breaks both of those barriers.

It is both pressurized on the ground and the CG is normally more up towards the front.
Correct me if I'm wrong there, though :hrmm:.

#90 Folgers

Folgers

formerly Douglas Buis

• Members
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:05 PM

View PostFL050, on Jan 15 2009, 07:58 PM, said:

I'm aware of that, I was just making an unrational, pain in the :hrmm: comment at his quote. :lol:

I don't know for sure, but I was told it was 90 seconds.  I think ATC may be mistaking judging by first call and last call instead of first call and impact call.

#91 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:05 PM

View PostTND4NOS, on Jan 15 2009, 08:03 PM, said:

Posted Image

Whats with the pilots still in the cockpit? What are they waiting for? Hopes and dreams! :hrmm: :hrmm:

The Captian always is the last to abandon ship--right :lol:

#92 Flightsimulatorpilot

Flightsimulatorpilot

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

http://www.jetphotos...=6411298&nseq=0

It's on the CABIN PRESS control panel.

Posted Image

#93 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

View PostFlightsimulatorpilot, on Jan 15 2009, 08:06 PM, said:

Seems the reason the Airbus did not sink was the crew hit the "DITCH" button which seals the planes outboard valves and keeps it pressurized----and the crew did not open the rear door which would cause the plane to sink tail-first---Nice job---crew :lol:

Go look at the cockpit pictures and show me this "ditch" button  :lol:
http://www.jetphotos...=6411298&nseq=0

It's on the CABIN PRESS control panel.

Posted Image

Thank you mate!! :hrmm:  :hrmm:

#94 89-LX

89-LX

Gallery Manager

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

View Postfranthree, on Jan 15 2009, 08:05 PM, said:

Whats with the pilots still in the cockpit? What are they waiting for? Hopes and dreams! :hrmm: :lol:

The captain went back and forth down the entire aircraft twice to make sure everyone was off before he got out. :hrmm: of a pilot right there.

#95 Falcon1184

Falcon1184

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

^^Nice one!

And I can only laugh at some of the ridiculous comments being made in this thread.  Some people know their stuff, and some are so far off its sad.  It's somewhat excusable for people that aren't pilots, but real pilots passing false information is just stupid.

#96 David_Lee_Roth

David_Lee_Roth

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

View PostFalcon1184, on Jan 15 2009, 09:20 PM, said:

^^Nice one!

And I can only laugh at some of the ridiculous comments being made in this thread.  Some people know their stuff, and some are so far off its sad.  It's somewhat excusable for people that aren't pilots, but real pilots passing false information is just stupid.

Well, what I'm going by is the Project Tupolev 154, which as far as I am aware is how it's done in real life  :hrmm:

#97 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

View Postfranthree, on Jan 15 2009, 08:05 PM, said:

Posted Image

That's not always the case. Ive seen one incident a few years back when a ferry sank in Africa and the crew abandoned the passengers.

Edited by THBatMan8, 15 January 2009 - 08:31 PM.

#98 89-LX

89-LX

Gallery Manager

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:31 PM

Ugh, I hate the friggin news. They keep reporting how the plane "SMASHES" into the water and this and that. Simply put, good piloting saves the day. Maybe pilot pay should go back up now since these 2 pilots show how dangerous the job is, and how a pilot can make a bad situation into a good one.

#99 David_Lee_Roth

David_Lee_Roth

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:36 PM

View Post89-LX, on Jan 15 2009, 09:31 PM, said:

Ugh, I hate the friggin news. They keep reporting how the plane "SMASHES" into the water and this and that. Simply put, good piloting saves the day. Maybe pilot pay should go back up now since these 2 pilots show how dangerous the job is, and how a pilot can make a bad situation into a good one.

Ask yourself:

Would CEO's actually give away money that they could keep for themself?

Some would, some wouldn't.

I bet Southwest would though, :hrmm:.

#100 MD-11 Vrt pilot

MD-11 Vrt pilot

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:49 PM

3 reasons why they will scrap this plane.
1) the cost to get back to FAA flight status
2) liability issues, if this bird is ever involved in another accident, US Air could be sued
big time.
3) you really don't know the extent of the damage to the airframe just by looking at it, you need an NDT test on all of the components looking for stress cracks.
US air will just not replace it as airlines will cut back anyway, they will just collect the insurance check.