#41 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:30 AM

View Post89-LX, on Feb 13 2009, 07:46 PM, said:

ust saw the latest news that the plane pretty much started pitching and rolling when the gear was lowered. I am calling it right now - tail stall. They thought it was a wing stall, pitched down and applied full power which aggrivated the tail stall even worst.

Which is what I thought at first..   Tail stalls are more common in T-tail aircraft, and very few (if any at all) have any icing protection.  Most leading edges of the horizontal elevators are covered in a rubber boot, but it does not inflate like leading edge inflatable rubber boots.  Other companies will duct hot air along the leading edge, but I can't think of a single aircraft that has ice protection on the horizontal stabilizer.  

The recovery for a tail stall is opposite of a wing stall, so failure to recognize the tail stall can lead up to a crash.  The other thing is, pilots have no indication if there is ice build up on the horizontal stabilizer, however they can assume there is if there is icing on the wings or on the windshield.

#42 Ozzyfrog

Ozzyfrog

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:46 AM

avherald

Sounds like it happened just after they lowered the flaps. Flap failure maybe?

#43 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:52 AM

View Postfranthree, on Feb 13 2009, 05:44 PM, said:

Anyone know about the De-Icing boots the Dash -8 has--they inflate I guess? Mr. NWilkinson ? :hrmm:

The wings have pneumatic wing boots, meaning they inflate on automatic cycles (when the switch is turned on) or manually.  The leading edge of the horizontal and vertical stabilizers have a rubber boot (non-pneumatic), I'm not sure if it's electric heated or not.  

The rubber boot on the horizontal stabilizer of the King Air is not electrically heated, it's just a rubber boot.

View PostOzzyfrog, on Feb 14 2009, 12:46 AM, said:

avherald

Sounds like it happened just after they lowered the flaps. Flap failure maybe?

Doubt it.  Tail stalls are more prone to occur after flaps and/or gear is extended, basically anything that slows the aircraft down.

#44 Ozzyfrog

Ozzyfrog

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:59 AM

Ah yes, that would make a lot of sense.

#45 likebernie4

likebernie4

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

Sadly, today I learned that my 2nd cousin Jennifer passed away in the plane crash. She was 23, engaged, and pregnant. :hrmm:

RIP! :hrmm:

#46 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:34 AM

View PostPoseidon, on Feb 14 2009, 10:17 AM, said:

Sadly, today I learned that my 2nd cousin Jennifer passed away in the plane crash. She was 23, engaged, and pregnant. :hrmm:

Sorry to hear that. ;) RIP

#47 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:02 PM

Isn't that the second time a plane crashed into a house this year and killed someone on the ground? (The other being the F/A-18.)

#48 aviatordom

aviatordom

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

View PostPoseidon, on Feb 14 2009, 04:17 PM, said:

I'm very, very sorry to hear that. May she RIP. My condolences to yourself & your family

#49 suraj

suraj

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

I hate reading about this, and I feel so bad for the families. But I realised today cause my mom was telling me are you sure you want to be  a pilot after this happening and I told her, its the about same chance as someone coming to our school and shooting people in the building and killing a lot of people, because there are so many schools and so many children attending school, just the same as, so many planes going up in one day, and how many crash out of that many and are fatal, so people that feel discouraged from flying shouldn't because then they shouldn't go to work, or they shouldn't go to school after hearing about an incident where someone came to a school or work and shot 10 people and killed them.

Thats just my opinion though, and I thought I'd share.

#50 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:24 PM

Sad stuff... RIP :hrmm:

#51 SunCountry737

SunCountry737

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:23 AM

View Post89-LX, on Feb 13 2009, 09:46 PM, said:

They thought it was a wing stall, pitched down and applied full power which aggrivated the tail stall even worst.

Stick shaker and pusher might have helped with that too. :hrmm:

#52 Ozzyfrog

Ozzyfrog

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:57 AM

The NTSB now know that the aircraft was facing the wrong direction when it hit the ground (NE instead of SW), and the it hit the ground with a flat approach (not a nose dive). Seems to make sense with the stall theory.

And I'm sorry to hear about Posiedon's sad news. May she RIP, and my condolences with you and your family.  :hrmm:

#53 likebernie4

likebernie4

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

Thanks everyone. Any ideas on how it went from facing SW to NE? :hrmm:

Edited by Poseidon, 15 February 2009 - 09:15 AM.

#54 aviatordom

aviatordom

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

View PostPoseidon, on Feb 15 2009, 02:14 PM, said:

Crew struggling to keep control of the a/c?

Perhaps they were looking for an open stretch of water or land to minimize fatalities?

The CVR transcript could provide clues when it is released(Y)

#55 coffeebeans

coffeebeans

formerly MrDonovan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,394 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:52 AM

That house is not far from my great aunt. My father and I have driven right below the final approach for that runway countless times when going to Buffalo.

RIP

#56 Faucett

Faucett

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:12 PM

Just to show how utterly clueless the media is when aviation is concerned, here was the front page of the New York Post the day after the crash -

Posted Image

Unbelievable.

#57 Chris.

Chris.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:22 PM

Well, in a literal sense a turbo-prop aircraft is a jet, since it works on the same pressure and combustion methods a turbofan would use.

#58 Yeah

Yeah

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:50 PM

TBH, I would probably find "JET CRASH" to be more interesting than "TURBO-PROP CRASH". Maybe it was to sell more papers?

#59 FL050

FL050

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

View PostA32X, on Feb 15 2009, 10:32 AM, said:

View PostPoseidon, on Feb 15 2009, 02:14 PM, said:

Crew struggling to keep control of the a/c?

Perhaps they were looking for an open stretch of water or land to minimize fatalities?

The CVR transcript could provide clues when it is released(Y)

Probably a tail stall that developed into a flat spin due to the crew probably adding power to get out of the stall.

#60 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:21 PM

View PostA32X, on Feb 15 2009, 09:32 AM, said:

Given they wouldn't even have been able to see the ground .... I highly doubt that.

View PostSunCountry737, on Feb 15 2009, 01:23 AM, said:

Stick shaker and pusher might have helped with that too. :hrmm:

Are there even Stick Pushers installed on aircraft anymore? I thought that died in the 1950s/1960s.

View Postsuraj, on Feb 14 2009, 09:03 PM, said:

But I realised today cause my mom was telling me are you sure you want to be  a pilot after this happening and I told her, its the about same chance as someone coming to our school and shooting people in the building and killing a lot of people, because there are so many schools and so many children attending school, just the same as, so many planes going up in one day, and how many crash out of that many and are fatal, so people that feel discouraged from flying shouldn't because then they shouldn't go to work, or they shouldn't go to school after hearing about an incident where someone came to a school or work and shot 10 people and killed them.

Holy run-on-sentence, Batman.